2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2016, 08:52:38 AM
QuotePolitics |News Analysis

He is not only breaking the country’s political norms, he and his campaign aides are now all but mocking them.

That's not necessarily a bad thing per se, but the way Trump is doing it is.

QuoteLying is one thing, but I really wish he would stop trying to suggest that she should get murdered.

Case in point.

garbon

Quote from: dps on September 18, 2016, 12:22:33 PM

He is not only breaking the country’s political norms, he and his campaign aides are now all but mocking them.

Sounds a bit inappropriate for a political campaign.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2016, 12:51:36 PM

Sounds a bit inappropriate for a political campaign.

There have been times that norms should have been broken.  And maybe this is one of those times, but I'll agree that the way Trump is doing it is inappropriate.  Well, it's more than just inappropriate--a lot of what he's doing is just wrong.

CountDeMoney

He is not only breaking the country's political norms, he and his campaign aides are now all but mocking them.

"

When would mocking the country's political norms be a good thing?

Valmy

When they are bad practices that should be reformed I suppose.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Actual news story:  Martha Stewart: Trump 'totally unprepared'

But Lord Black endorses Trump; I just don't know which convicted felon to listen to anymore.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

dps

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2016, 06:17:18 PM

I was thinking more about breaking norms than mocking them, but yes. 

The thing that sprang to my mind was when Congress passed a gag rule against discussing the slavery issue in the 1830s and John Quincy Adams fought against it, even though trying to sweep the issue under the rug was more-or-less the norm at the time.

Zoupa

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

garbon

Quote from: dps on September 18, 2016, 07:36:43 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2016, 06:17:18 PM

I was thinking more about breaking norms than mocking them, but yes. 

The thing that sprang to my mind was when Congress passed a gag rule against discussing the slavery issue in the 1830s and John Quincy Adams fought against it, even though trying to sweep the issue under the rug was more-or-less the norm at the time.

So your example though it nearly 2 centuries ago? :P

At any rate, I don't take issue with politicians mocking traditions/rules but I'm not sure how much sense it makes sense for a presidential campaign. After all, the President does have to work with congress and well Trump seems to solely prepping for all of congress to be hostile.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 19, 2016, 04:27:28 AM
Et tu, Oliver?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/09/13/oliver-stone-dnc-hack-was-an-inside-job-not-russia.html?via=mobile&source=copyurl

Oliver Stone: DNC hack an inside job, not Russia.

Darling, if you want to keep up in your troll antics, you shouldn't be wasting time quoting Oliver Stone.

You were doing well though when you linked to a random website acting as though it was a legitimate news source. :hug:

CountDeMoney

Man, it must really be tougher to get real news in Poland than I thought.  It's taken this long to get "Oliver Stone is a conspiracy goof" there all they way from 1991?  Rocks don't take that long to travel.