And we're back!

Main Menu

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 15, 2013, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2013, 09:01:11 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 23, 2013, 06:48:11 AM
For those appalled at the level of stupid being displayed by the radical right fruitcakes, I have just four words for you to remember:

move
on
dot
org
Don't bother.  The only crazies are conservatives, remember? :)
but conservative crazies have guns.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on April 23, 2013, 09:19:44 AM
The current right wing craziness is at a different level than even what we saw in the worst of the Bushitler days though. The right wing nutjobs are so much more personal and convinced of their victimhood. It is rather scary.
It's because Obama is black.  Let's be honest about it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

So? Liberal crazies can just tackle them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: HVC on April 23, 2013, 09:20:04 AM
:hmm: Was Hinckley a conservative?  How about the kid in the Colorado shootings?  He was some pretentious nerd studying psych and obsessed with comics so I very much doubt he was either. :)

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2013, 09:20:59 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 23, 2013, 09:19:44 AM
The current right wing craziness is at a different level than even what we saw in the worst of the Bushitler days though. The right wing nutjobs are so much more personal and convinced of their victimhood. It is rather scary.
It's because Obama is black.  Let's be honest about it.

Nah, I don't think so - at least not to a decisive extent.

These were the same people who, for example, where convinced Clinton was killing his own staff members.

I am sure race enters into it at some level, but if Obama was a white guy, these same people would still be convinced he was out to take their guns, destroy America, and ruin their way of life. Victimhood is a matter of faith.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Conservatives seem much more prone to conspiracy theories, so there's that.  Something I've noticed is that Leftist criticism of Bush tended to be what he did, or at least was perceived to have done.  Bush invaded Iraq, Bush set up Gitmo, Bush put incompetent flunkies in high position etc.  Rightist criticism of Obama tends to be what he will do.  Obama will take your guns, Obama will raise your taxes, Obama will ration health care.  One of the ideas circulating last year in the Presidential campaign was that if Obama is reelected he won't have to worry about reelection in the future then he'll really move to take away your freedoms.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Berk, I don't think so.  I could be wrong but I don't recall anyone ever saying Clinton was "trying to destroy America", which if you voice such an opinion you've got to be a lunatic to some degree, but the way.  Why would Obama want to "destroy America"?  What would be the motivation there... because he would want to be remembered as a terrible President? :hmm:

HVC

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2013, 09:23:05 AM
Quote from: HVC on April 23, 2013, 09:20:04 AM
:hmm: Was Hinckley a conservative?  How about the kid in the Colorado shootings?  He was some pretentious nerd studying psych and obsessed with comics so I very much doubt he was either. :)
i counter with Ted Nugent :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Caliga

...who has shot how many people so far? :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 23, 2013, 09:24:42 AM
Conservatives seem much more prone to conspiracy theories, so there's that.

I don't know that that's true, though the lefty conspiracy-mongers tend to lump Republicans and Democrats together.

HVC

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2013, 09:30:44 AM
...who has shot how many people so far? :)
Publicly? None. Privately? :ph34r:

Dude made threats against the prez. Hey counts as a crazy conservative with guns :contract: :D

*edit* phone did a weird quote thing.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2013, 09:18:04 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2013, 09:10:43 AM
It's a matter of volume. The left-wing crazies are just as crazy, but there appear to be less of them in the US - at least, nowadays.
I'm not sure how you could possibly measure how many there are vs. leftist crazies. :hmm:

I can't. As I said, it's a matter of volume.

The right-wing crazies are simply louder - in that they for whatever reasons have their views heard more, in the media, in comments on the Internet, whatever.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 22, 2013, 07:58:18 PM
That's 1806 :contract:

I was there for the bicentenary. They celebrated with historical re-enactment :weep:

Yeah but I was speaking more I general terms.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2013, 09:25:06 AM
Berk, I don't think so.  I could be wrong but I don't recall anyone ever saying Clinton was "trying to destroy America", which if you voice such an opinion you've got to be a lunatic to some degree, but the way.  Why would Obama want to "destroy America"?  What would be the motivation there... because he would want to be remembered as a terrible President? :hmm:

I think that might be more of a function of increased internet access giving people on the lunatic fringe a place to vent.  Pick any President we've ever had, except maybe George Washington, and there's been someone convinced that he was out to destroy the country or turn it over to our enemies (of course, who got identified as "our enemies" changes over time and from loony to loony--in 1800, Federalist loonies thought Thomas Jefferson was going to bring the French Reign of Terror here, while Democratic-Republican loonies thought John Adams was going to turn us back over to King George III).

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on April 23, 2013, 09:53:07 AM
in 1800, Federalist loonies thought Thomas Jefferson was going to bring the French Reign of Terror here,

He had to settle for thousands of Cajuns.