News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 15, 2013, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Feds just charged him 18 USC s2332a(a) Use of  Weapon of Mass Destruction, and 18 USC s844 Malicious Destruction of Property Resulting in Death.

OttoVonBismarck

18 USC § 2332a is a capital crime if death results from the use of the WMD, so I'd guess they are going to try and take him for the full ride.

Jacob

A shrapnel bomb is a weapon of mass destruction?

I guess Saddam might have had weapons of mass destruction after all.

sbr

What happens if his throat wound prevents him from ever speaking again?

As far as a potential trial goes.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2013, 01:10:31 PM
A shrapnel bomb is a weapon of mass destruction?

I guess Saddam might have had weapons of mass destruction after all.

From 18 USC 2332:

(2) the term "weapon of mass destruction" means—
(A) any destructive device as defined in section 921 of this title;
(B) any weapon that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;
(C) any weapon involving a biological agent, toxin, or vector (as those terms are defined in section 178 of this title); or
(D) any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life; and

And section 921:

Quote(4) The term "destructive device" means—
(A) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas—
(i) bomb,
(ii) grenade,
(iii) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces,
(iv) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
(v) mine, or
(vi) device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses;

Malthus

Good lord, a missile with a warhead of a quarter-ounce is a "WMD"?  :lmfao:

We used to make those for fun as kids! (Model rocket with payload - drill hole to ejection charge - stuff it full of blanks)

Admittedly, playing with that shit was stupid and could have got us killed, but a "WMD"? Methinks that casts the net too broadly.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Jacob

Mines and hand grenades are weapons of mass destructions?

That's... okay... sure... but that's a totally different term and definition when we're speaking of states, right? Because, if not then every nation and state on Earth, from the Vatican to Tuvalu, possesses weapons of mass destruction.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2013, 01:23:39 PM
Mines and hand grenades are weapons of mass destructions?

That's... okay... sure... but that's a totally different term and definition when we're speaking of states, right? Because, if not then every nation and state on Earth, from the Vatican to Tuvalu, possesses weapons of mass destruction.

U.S. Code isn't generally the same as trade terms. From a military perspective for example DoD would never classify a gunpowder bomb as a WMD, but what I pasted was U.S. Code which can use whatever definitions its writers wanted in defining terms of criminal statutes.

OttoVonBismarck

I think there's a good chance they "announce they're seeking the death penalty." But he ends up making a plea agreement for life (and there is no longer parole in the Federal system), and he'll check in for a lifetime stay at ADX Florence.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 22, 2013, 01:23:44 PM
Lol, WMDs arent what they used to be

Well, it solves the old "did Saddam have WMDs?" question.

Heck, he probably had a few in his bedroom closet.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2013, 01:27:23 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 22, 2013, 01:23:44 PM
Lol, WMDs arent what they used to be

Well, it solves the old "did Saddam have WMDs?" question.

Heck, he probably had a few in his bedroom closet.  :D

Made of gold.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 22, 2013, 01:25:54 PM
U.S. Code isn't generally the same as trade terms. From a military perspective for example DoD would never classify a gunpowder bomb as a WMD, but what I pasted was U.S. Code which can use whatever definitions its writers wanted in defining terms of criminal statutes.

Yeah, I figured it was something like that, but it's still funny.

derspiess

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 22, 2013, 01:06:36 PM
Why would you go to Argentina? Everyone knows Spanish speaking South American countries are terrible.

1) I have to, and 2) it's a fun place for me.

Oh, and the steak is the best on earth.  Wine ain't too bad, either.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall