News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 15, 2013, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

The "guy in custody" report is being disputed.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Have difficulty imagining this as a NK plot.  While NK does have a history of terrorism, it's pretty old, and they know that the US (unlike SK) will respond pretty seriously to acts of domestic terrorism.

Islamic terrorism?  Could be, of course.

Domestic / right wing terrorism.  Certainly not impossible.  But usually they strike at some kind of perceived government structure.  An IRS office or a federal building.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

The NY Post is the paper posting most of the craziest stuff, so take anything from them with a grain of salt. I'd follow the Boston Globe which is mostly just repeating whatever BPD is releasing.

Queequeg

Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2013, 04:46:42 PM

Domestic / right wing terrorism.  Certainly not impossible.  But usually they strike at some kind of perceived government structure.  An IRS office or a federal building.
Boston on Patriot's Day?
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Queequeg on April 15, 2013, 04:49:06 PM

Boston on Patriot's Day?

If it were a Tea Party bomb maybe.

mongers

Any significance to it being a marathon and/or in Boston, or just that it was a large gathering of people ?

What about the time of the explosion, 4 hours 10 minutes after the start and more than 1 1/2 hours after the high profile winners; bombs on timers, possibly faulty or were the bombs left a few minutes/moments before igniting, if so perhaps to take advantage of security possibly being ramped down ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Queequeg

jimmy olsen

Just woke up and saw this. Terrible :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

sbr

4 hours is average finish time and that is when there is most potential people at finish area.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 15, 2013, 04:48:26 PM
The NY Post is the paper posting most of the craziest stuff, so take anything from them with a grain of salt. I'd follow the Boston Globe which is mostly just repeating whatever BPD is releasing.

There's always tons of false info that gets reported when these things happen. I'm not buying anything unconfirmed.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Have difficulty imagining this as a NK plot.  While NK does have a history of terrorism, it's pretty old, and they know that the US (unlike SK) will respond pretty seriously to acts of domestic terrorism.

With all the flags down there it looks like Olympic bombing in Atlanta.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2013, 05:02:37 PM

With all the flags down there it looks like Olympic bombing in Atlanta.

Yes, wasn't that a pipe bomb or two ?

The first explosion there looks quite substantial, bigger than a small package, perhaps the size of a rucksack bomb or suicide-bomber ? :unsure:

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 15, 2013, 05:01:55 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 15, 2013, 04:48:26 PM

There's always tons of false info that gets reported when these things happen. I'm not buying anything unconfirmed.

Yeah weren't the first reports of the Oklahoma bomber, about two or three arabs ? 

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers