And we're back!

Main Menu

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 15, 2013, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

From comedian Patton Oswalt's Facebook page

QuoteBoston. Fucking horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2013, 08:22:51 PM
Looks like 3 dead now.

They were interviewing a doctor who was saying that the concussive force meant there was enough internal brain trauma going around for that number to rise within the next couple days.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Yeah, and they've confirmed that shrapnel was definitely involved in the devices.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2013, 08:25:29 PM
Yeah, and they've confirmed that shrapnel was definitely involved in the devices.
Yeah, ball bearings. I've been surprised at the low fatalities given that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on April 15, 2013, 08:09:33 PM
stop trolling each other for tonight, guys.  Let's stay cool and discuss the event, please.

Um, this is Languish, which moto seems to be, play the man not the ball.   <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

One of my neighbors, his wife and kids usually go to watch the Marathon every year. They skipped it this year, though they would have been far away from the attack area anyway. Another neighbor is a cop, on a SWAT team, and he'll be in there all night he said.

Over a hundred injured, including some young kids seriously hurt.

Admiral Yi

Just got a company email that says they've shut down cell phones in the Boston area.

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2013, 09:00:06 PM
Just got a company email that says they've shut down cell phones in the Boston area.

Yeah, they did shut them down, but people could still text. One of my neighbors was texting with relatives in Boston.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2013, 02:33:44 PM
Can't tell if the bombs were in a building, or behind or under the main grandstand;  the first one looks like it was actually in a building.  They were definitely on Boylston Street though, between Dartmouth and Exeter.

Casualties talk is bad.  Limbs are missing.  The first video, there were definitely people within the blast area.

We need Count and Captain Mihali to check in.

Thanks Seedy, I'm fine, as is everyone I know.  Only thing I was directly worried about was a doc of mine's office is in the Copley area, and I was worried him or his staff might have been out on lunch checking out the Marathon (esp. since it's Patriot's Day here in Mass.), but they were fine.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2013, 09:00:06 PM

Hmm, I've got service in Somerville...made a call to Jamaica Plain (in the city of Boston) an hour ago and it was fine.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Capetan Mihali

Haven't quite caught up with the thread, but any news on who the people killed were?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 15, 2013, 09:49:05 PM
Haven't quite caught up with the thread, but any news on who the people killed were?
The only one I've heard about is the 8 year old :(
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Apparently there's a hell of a lot more people shorter than they were this morning.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 15, 2013, 09:52:00 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 15, 2013, 09:49:05 PM
The only one I've heard about is the 8 year old :(

Yeah, just caught up with the thread and OvB's report of the child.  :(

Earlier this evening there were reports of something going on in the Harvard Square T station...dunno know if it was just an abandoned Market Basket bag or something more serious. 

Boston Police are asking people to avoid coming into the city, according to the TV on at the liquor store a minute ago. 

Speaking of which, I get a feel of palpable tension (beyond the general gloominess) from all the South Asian and Middle Eastern small store owners I run into on my daily route for coffee, cigarettes, seltzer, gum, beer, etc.