News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languishing Yet Again (VQ game)

Started by Solmyr, April 09, 2013, 01:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on April 18, 2013, 12:07:59 PM
:lol:  Yes, that's me.  I've somehow managed to convince the entire board that Spain is the real threat while I sail off to victory.  I am so Machiavellian it hurts.

I know, I don't understand it - it is pretty easy to read the board state and see what is going on. Forcing Spain to throw away ships in the med just doesn't make any sense.

People get the idea too entrenched that there is some "right" way to play no matter what is actually happening in the specific game. If you are England, screw Spain if you can! That is a good general rule, but not always specifically applicable.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Maximus

If that song is for my benefit you can save it. I already saw your hand.

Viking

The only way to win the berkut blame game is not to play. Stop feeding the troll.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Berkut

Spain: Play Card as Operations
#53: 4 / Grand Tour
Eliminate unrest from all French home spaces. France then gets to undertake up to two different items from this list: (a) end a war with a Major Power (displace units if necessary), (b) take the Nostradamus' Prophecies card from the discard pile, (c) award a card or treasure to another power, or (d) add 1 regular in Paris and then move a formation from Paris using the rules for spring deployment to another French home space. Remove from deck if played after Catholic League has formed.

[FAQ: Card is removed from play if played after the Catholic League is formed — even if just played for CP.]

Message from Spain:
Build galley in Palma, Walloon in Brussels

Extend impulse with 3CP treasure.

Counter-reform in Netherlands.
1 influence to Venice

0 rows returned

Solmyr

So Berk, are you ok with me redoing the rebellion?

Berkut

Quote from: Maximus on April 18, 2013, 12:18:55 PM
If that song is for my benefit you can save it. I already saw your hand.

Did you see something in it that suggests something other than what I've said? What you saw was a handful of "Build ships, hope Ottomans don't take all these cards away"

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Solmyr on April 18, 2013, 12:20:53 PM
So Berk, are you ok with me redoing the rebellion?

Of course. Go right ahead.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

I realize you don't understand it--you show that every time you explain your (Spain's) side of things while ignoring England's side of things.  Max saw a card that could hurt him later on (which, given discussions with France and the Protestants, could be as soon as this turn rather than later in the game) and decided to get rid of the threat.  Why is that so hard to understand?  You can protest that you would definitely have spent those 4 CPs to build boats to attack the Ottomans, but how does that keep England safe?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maximus

Quote from: Viking on April 18, 2013, 12:19:56 PM
The only way to win the berkut blame game is not to play. Stop feeding the troll.
No, he plays the meta game. It's a valid way to play, it just means I don't give any weight to his table talk

Habbaku

Quote from: Viking on April 18, 2013, 12:19:56 PM

Stop being so "petty."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on April 18, 2013, 12:21:58 PM
I realize you don't understand it--you show that every time you explain your (Spain's) side of things while ignoring England's side of things.  Max saw a card that could hurt him later on (which, given discussions with France and the Protestants, could be as soon as this turn rather than later in the game) and decided to get rid of the threat.  Why is that so hard to understand?  You can protest that you would definitely have spent those 4 CPs to build boats to attack the Ottomans, but how does that keep England safe?

Keeping the leaders from continuing to lead keeps them from winning the game. The question isn't how does keeping me from building boats keep England safe, the question is how does playing Witchcraft against Spain when it is clear Spain is not doing *anything* to England at all improve England's odds of winning? It does not, of course, not the way this game is playing out.

He gave up 2 CPs in order to make sure I did not spend 4 CPs fighting the Ottomans. I can certainly see why YOU think that is a great play.

0 rows returned

Solmyr

La Rochelle rebellion still succeeds with one less regular. Dutch rebellion takes off in Amsterdam, Alkmaar, and Utrecht.

Sent a file adding those, Berk can proceed with his conversion.

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2013, 12:26:58 PM
He gave up 2 CPs in order to make sure I did not spend 4 CPs fighting the Ottomans.

That is not what he did at all and for you to keep insinuating that is pretty blatantly absurd.  Max has already stated his reasons for doing what he did and it certainly wasn't to help me.  Asserting that it was is simply ignoring his statements.  Do you have a reason to doubt what he's said?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Request: 6-sided die x 5

Message from Spain:
Preaching in the Netherlands

3 minor, 1 major, 1 unrest

Extend to Ghent
Convert Brussels, Antwerp, Maastricht
Unrest in Maastricht

0 rows returned

Habbaku

And now we see the truth in why Max chose to get rid of Rising in the North.

-J. R. R. Tolkien