News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languishing Yet Again (VQ game)

Started by Solmyr, April 09, 2013, 01:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

If your goal was to get to Antilles and pirate the Spanish, why did you start Hawkins in North Atlantic and not Guinea Coast?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2013, 03:17:22 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 18, 2013, 03:15:13 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 18, 2013, 03:04:59 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 18, 2013, 02:55:46 PM
I think Viking is starting to crack up.

I was like this in the last game as well...

ffs 17 attack dice get 2 hits and 11 defence dice get 4. The defense is scoring par here, I'm just hitting approx 1/3 of what I should.

QQ moar.  12 piracy dice so far with 2 hits.

QQmoar yourself. You've won two critical naval battles, both of which should have been losses, and hit on 3 out of 4 dice in your assault on Malta.

You have nothing to complain about when it comes to dice.

Wait, this isn't the thread where we whine about every bad thing that happens?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

I'll leave it up to you - what would you have done had you known the rule (I don't mean that in a smart ass way - I screw up stuuff like this all the time, and I should know the rules by now)?

If you would have just went with the nav roll, then roll the nav, if you get a hit, then I am ok with assuming you would not have tried the piracy. If you make the nav roll, then the piracy rolls can stand.

If knowing that you had to make a nav roll would have meant you would have just spent the CP to go around, then let that stand, and just spend the extra CP.

I am ok with either of those. Not very ok with a resolution that involves re-rolling the anti-piracy dice though...its the first decent roll I've had all game!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2013, 03:53:16 PM
I am ok with either of those. Not very ok with a resolution that involves re-rolling the anti-piracy dice though...its the first decent roll I've had all game!

:hmm: 

QuoteRequest: 6-sided die x 5

Message from Spain:
Preaching in the Netherlands

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maximus

Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2013, 03:53:16 PM
I'll leave it up to you - what would you have done had you known the rule (I don't mean that in a smart ass way - I screw up stuuff like this all the time, and I should know the rules by now)?

If you would have just went with the nav roll, then roll the nav, if you get a hit, then I am ok with assuming you would not have tried the piracy. If you make the nav roll, then the piracy rolls can stand.

If knowing that you had to make a nav roll would have meant you would have just spent the CP to go around, then let that stand, and just spend the extra CP.

I would have gone around. I had planned to do so, then changed plans without remembering all the ramifications. This is essentially what I ended up doing.

You'll be pleased to know that in a hypothetical redo your anti-piracy effort would have been just as effective.

ulmont

Built 1+1 in Paris. File sent.  Barring something amazing, I'm done for the turn and will be wintering 2+2 in Strassburg with everyone else back to Paris.

Viking

QuoteHoly Roman Empire: Play Card as Operations
#38: 2 / Treasure Fleet [MANDATORY]
The Spanish treasure fleet appears in a random location. Resolve according to the procedure found in Section 23.2. Card remains in deck each turn.

Message from Holy Roman Empire:
1/2 another mercenary for poland
2/2 another doomed attempt at resolution

QuoteHoly Roman Empire: Die roll request
Request: 6-sided die x 1

Treasure fleet roll

Antillies
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Maximus

And that's why Hawkins was waiting in the North Atlantic. Ah well, he was in the wrong place anyway

Habbaku

Is it wrong to laugh at Viking's dice at this point?  Would that make me a bad person?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Attack on Poland

QuoteRequest: 6-sided die x 8

Polish defense

Polish Defense

QuoteRequest: 6-sided die x 3

HRE attack on poland

HRE, 1 hit, Poles 0 hits

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

Quote from: Habbaku on April 18, 2013, 04:07:09 PM
Is it wrong to laugh at Viking's dice at this point?  Would that make me a bad person?

No and yes.

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on April 18, 2013, 04:07:09 PM

What do you mean? These dice are abnormally good for me. Usually the opposition is hitting 2 our of 3 dice.

Solmyr

With two more cards you should just about get this done this turn. :hug:

Converted La Rochelle and Amboise with unrest in the latter.

Btw, this game is moving at the speed of light. Habs up.

Habbaku

QuoteOttoman: Play Card as Operations
#64: 2 / Philosopher's Stone

For CPs :

1-2/2 - Naval Transport Sokollu and 5 regulars from Malta to Tunis.

Spain's up.  Berkut needs to resolve the Treasure Fleet while he's at it.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

4/5: 2 Galleys in Palma
5/5: Fleet to Barbary Coast

You ahve options for intercepting/evading.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned