And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking news: Margaret Thatcher has died

Started by The Larch, April 08, 2013, 06:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2013, 03:06:23 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2013, 02:26:02 PM
I'm guessing a part where they haven't had any street parties to celebrate the death of a former president?

Our attention spans are not really that long.  I mean sure people hated Nixon but in 1993 the emotions from 20 years ago had cooled.  The British clearly stay mad much longer.

Yeah I came to the same conclusion in one of these threads. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2013, 02:59:03 PM

Don't they realize that just makes them look immature? Having a party as a protest seems to be mixing message with entertainment.

Do 20 somethings really care if they look mature?  It's a shitty thing to do and I don't support it at all, but that doesn't mean I can't understand why they do it.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2013, 03:03:12 PM
I don't agree with the "only good things about the dead" attitude, beyond private circumstances and the funeral service. When a public figure dies, it does not make them immune to criticism.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that. It is more a case of suspending the vitriol while the family and friends are grieving rather than ramping it up and celebrating. This is especially true in cases where the death has no impact itself. Not like Hitler, Gaddhaffi, Saddam or Stalin dying, which had real political effects, in which case cheering is ok. Thatcher was a senile old retired grandmother.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on April 09, 2013, 03:08:05 PM

Don't they realize that just makes them look immature? Having a party as a protest seems to be mixing message with entertainment.

Do 20 somethings really care if they look mature?  It's a shitty thing to do and I don't support it at all, but that doesn't mean I can't understand why they do it.

I understand why immature kids out for a good time do it.  What I dont understand is the attempt to justify it on some other basis.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2013, 03:06:29 PMWow, is there anything that Maggie could not do!  Quick someone call Blair and tell him he was  Maggie's creature.

That's actually a pretty common sentiment as I understand it, to the point of being fairly uncontroversial. I think the term is "heir to Thatcher" rather than "creature", but otherwise I've seen it getting some play.

garbon

Quote from: frunk on April 09, 2013, 03:08:05 PM

Jos said we shouldn't dismiss them out of hand - I'm saying that we should. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2013, 03:09:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2013, 03:06:29 PMWow, is there anything that Maggie could not do!  Quick someone call Blair and tell him he was  Maggie's creature.

That's actually a pretty common sentiment as I understand it, to the point of being fairly uncontroversial. I think the term is "heir to Thatcher" rather than "creature", but otherwise I've seen it getting some play.

Really, that is about as convincing as the other stuff you said about how she destroyed otherwise prosperous communities.

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2013, 02:56:17 PM
Perhaps, but then I suspect the reaction to her death would have been much more tame had she been vilified universally - that's the nature of modern politics - the more divisive it is, the stronger emotions it breeds.

The partying is an emotional fuck you to people who depict her as a living saint (we had the same stuff going on after Kaczynski's death). If the general consensus was that "well yeah she was pretty shitty", there would be no more to it.

One of the most interesting reactions to this issue, was what someone, who presumably genuinely hates Thatcher, said about a possible party in Belfast:

"resist celebrating the death of Margaret Thatcher".
He added: "She was not a peacemaker but it is a mistake to allow her death to poison our minds."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22078303

That someone is Martin McGuinness. Whether you hate him or admire him, that certainly politically astute advice, something the clowns in London and Bristol wouldn't have a hope of understanding.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2013, 03:06:29 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 09, 2013, 02:52:12 PM
Thatcher started something that moved England so far right, that even the labour party is now a centrist, or centre-right party.
That's part of her legacy.

Wow, is there anything that Maggie could not do!  Quick someone call Blair and tell him he was  Maggie's creature.

Somebody already did Mandelson: we are all Thatcherites now back in 2002
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2013, 03:06:29 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 09, 2013, 02:52:12 PM
Thatcher started something that moved England so far right, that even the labour party is now a centrist, or centre-right party.
That's part of her legacy.

Wow, is there anything that Maggie could not do!  Quick someone call Blair and tell him he was  Maggie's creature.

That's not the first time I've seen that assertion. My sadly-Paulite brother sent me a link from the libertarian punditry class accusing her of the same thing. That she created New Labour. And apparently liked to eat puppies.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2013, 03:10:42 PMReally, that is about as convincing as the other stuff you said about how she destroyed otherwise prosperous communities.

Alright, maybe not uncontroversial but certainly not an uncommon argument to make.

Really, sometimes you seem so sheltered.

frunk

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2013, 03:09:21 PM
Jos said we shouldn't dismiss them out of hand - I'm saying that we should. ;)

Dismiss them out of hand meaning we ignore them?  We've failed that in this thread.  Assume they have no relevency?  I think they do, if only as a marker of the beliefs of a segment of the population.  Even if those beliefs don't go much beyond "we didn't like this person".

Admiral Yi

I really don't get the logic of complaining that Thatcher moved the center of British politics to the right.  If you don't like the way the British electorate thinks and votes, yell at them.

Agelastus

Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2013, 03:09:12 PM

There's even a certain truth to it given how few of the Thatcher era's reforms were reversed by Labour; consider by contrast earlier periods where "Steel was nationalised, privatised and renationalised" by succeeding governments of opposing parties.

He was a "water-downer" or "steady-as-you-goer" rather than a "reverser" or "innovator" and has inspired a generation of politicians to be just like him due to his managing three electoral successes without causing a section of the Electorate to permanently vilify him as happened with Thatcher...which is in it's own way a problem.

Also, unfortunately, he let Brown run the Treasury as he saw fit, and Brown couldn't have organised a piss-up in a brewery let alone be a good chancellor.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

What would be in opposition to Thatcher's legacy?  Creating nationalized industries?  I mean if an anti-Thatcher party was elected what sorts of things would they be doing?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."