Breaking news: Margaret Thatcher has died

Started by The Larch, April 08, 2013, 06:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2013, 03:01:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2013, 02:42:41 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 08, 2013, 02:35:49 PM
I can't think of any other Western leader who described a large chunk of their country as 'the enemy within'.

Obama.

I would have gone with the Clintons and their VRWC myself.

Really?  I'd have picked the Nixon White House.  Figured that one was a lock.

With Richard Bruce "Dick" Cheney a notable 2nd place.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2013, 03:04:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2013, 03:00:13 PM
Oh, joy.  My Argie FB friends have discovered my "RIP" post :angry: :lol:

Somebody is getting a strap on surprise tonight.

The wife doesn't give a shit about the Falklands anymore.  My sister in law, however, apparently "doesn't care if she rests in peace, the old witch".  Or at least that's what the post said before I deleted it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2013, 03:08:43 PM

The wife doesn't give a shit about the Falklands anymore.  My sister in law, however, apparently "doesn't care if she rests in peace, the old witch".  Or at least that's what the post said before I deleted it.

Post a pic of the torpedoed General Belgrano on her FB page.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2013, 03:08:43 PM

You know, I don't give a shit about the Falklands either..............but when some bastard invades your sovereign territory you are obliged to kick him off it.

derspiess

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 08, 2013, 03:18:18 PM
You know, I don't give a shit about the Falklands either..............but when some bastard invades your sovereign territory you are obliged to kick him off it.

Yeah, they aren't quite as able to let things go.  It's weird, amusing, and pathetic at the same time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Warspite

My bus home was diverted because there's a street party in Brixton celebrating her death. ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on April 08, 2013, 03:39:00 PM
My bus home was diverted because there's a street party in Brixton celebrating her death. ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS

It's the facebook generation, most of them will have no idea of her politics or legacy and how divisive she was, they'll only be there because its a cool think to do, cos others on social media are trending this happening event, etc.   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Agelastus

While not entirely surprising, that's still a disgrace.

And from my somewhat old-fashioned perspective, very un-British.

I wonder if "I'm-not-quite-so-red-as-I-was-Ken" is going to show up... :glare:

(Yes, I've been inspired by the relatively restrained reactions on the forums I frequent to actually dare to trawl through Yahoo for the news stories and some of the comments...and I've just read Ken's "everything wrong today is her fault" bit.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Yep. They got into the Ritzy:

There was a few hundred in Liverpool too. Apparently the Echo isn't mentioning Thatcher at all tomorrow.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Wow.  Even the goofballs whose lives were defined by him didn't act that way when Nixon died.  And only the goofiest Hansmeister fucks would do that with Jimmy Carter or Obama.

Stay classy, England.

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2013, 06:34:18 PM
Wow.  Even the goofballs whose lives were defined by him didn't act that way when Nixon died.  And only the goofiest Hansmeister fucks would do that with Jimmy Carter or Obama.

Stay classy, England.

Are you really surprised? It has been pretty well established over the years that a significative amount of people in Britain truly despised her, even decades after her governments. You can't honestly say that you didn't expect it.