Breaking news: Margaret Thatcher has died

Started by The Larch, April 08, 2013, 06:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2013, 09:07:34 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 08, 2013, 08:50:39 AM
That's not really the point. Taking hostage of diplomats is one of the clearest possible casus belli and drastically outside international norms. It should have been met with overwhelming force designed to immediately end the reign of the Ayatollahs. Iran will soon be a nuclear state because we feared the pain of ripping hairs out when yanking the band-aid and have opted for the pain of a shotgun blast to the stomach instead. That's really the truth about our handling of Iran, we avoided a messy war and replaced it with a far worse eventuality. The shame of America for our response to the hostage crisis has never fully been washed off.

You're old enough to remember what the world was like in 1979, so don't be silly.  A hostage situation is not the best reason for a superpower showdown in the Persian Gulf.
Now, a shitload of executed hostages, that's different.  But you and I both know that the Soviet Union would not have tolerated military action against Iran, and things would've been ratcheted up quickly at a time when Brezhnev was pretty much mentally incapacitated.
Not to mention that 1979 was just a few years after Vietnam, so the political will to get into a major war just wasn't there.  Not sure the military means were there either;  that was before the age of blowing everyone to bits in a precise way with a joystick.

Maximus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 08, 2013, 08:07:21 AM
How can there be justice in a world where Reagan and Thatcher are dead and Carter lives?
Carter may have lucked out on a die roll.

http://www.metafilter.com/126491/It-was-a-very-exciting-time-when-the-Chalk-River-plant-melted-down

Regarding the thread, she left her mark and it was a good one. Can't ask for more than that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2013, 09:41:05 AM
Not to mention that 1979 was just a few years after Vietnam, so the political will to get into a major war just wasn't there.  Not sure the military means were there either;  that was before the age of blowing everyone to bits in a precise way with a joystick.

The military capability was certainly there.  It just would've been messy.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

CNN Breaking News:

QuoteU.S. President Barack Obama pays tribute to Margaret Thatcher as one of the "great champions of freedom and liberty."

One of the last great Cold War leaders to croak. Leaves only Carter, Schmidt, Kohl, Gorbachev.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

OttoVonBismarck

The Soviets would not have gone to war with us over Iran anymore than we would go to war with them over Afghanistan.

Gups

Quote from: Pishtaco on April 08, 2013, 09:45:54 AM

RIP  :(

My favourite Spitting Image Thatcher moment is when she takes her minsiters out for dinner...

Waitress: Would you like to order, sir?
Thatcher: Yes. I will have the steak.
Waitress: How would you like it?
Thatcher: Oh, raw, please.
Waitress: And what about the Vegetables?
Thatcher: Oh, they'll  have the steak too.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on April 08, 2013, 09:54:51 AM
CNN Breaking News:

QuoteU.S. President Barack Obama pays tribute to Margaret Thatcher as one of the "great champions of freedom and liberty."

One of the last great Cold War leaders to croak. Leaves only Carter, Schmidt, Kohl, Gorbachev.

You forgot Valéry Giscard d'Estaing. :(

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 08, 2013, 10:14:36 AM
CNN Breaking News:

At least one or two of the Italians must be alive ?  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: mongers on April 08, 2013, 10:17:24 AM
CNN Breaking News:

great?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: Viking on April 08, 2013, 10:18:13 AM
CNN Breaking News:

great?

It's not you strong point is it, humour.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: mongers on April 08, 2013, 10:22:17 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 08, 2013, 10:18:13 AM
CNN Breaking News:

great?

It's not you strong point is it, humour.

There are people who think VGE is one of the greats. Poe, remember.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.