Breaking news: Margaret Thatcher has died

Started by The Larch, April 08, 2013, 06:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on April 08, 2013, 07:43:01 AM
Way to stay classy, Jos
Jos has never been classy.  He's northern trash, and that always shows through.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: PDH on April 08, 2013, 07:48:12 AM
Wait, did you mean Jos or Jos?
One is obsessed with coal mining, the other is a Leafs fan.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2013, 07:49:41 AM
Quote from: PDH on April 08, 2013, 07:48:12 AM
Wait, did you mean Jos or Jos?
One is obsessed with coal mining, the other is a Leafs fan.
neither can be forgiven!

RIP. you did what your nation needed, even if a large portion reviled you for it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

OttoVonBismarck

How can there be justice in a world where Reagan and Thatcher are dead and Carter lives?

Neil

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 08, 2013, 08:07:21 AM
How can there be justice in a world where Reagan and Thatcher are dead and Carter lives?
Reagan and Thatcher aren't suffering anymore.  Carter, on the other hand not only suffers the indignities of old age, but also suffers from being a punchline.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 08, 2013, 08:07:21 AM

He's your nation's moral conscience.  Go build a house for somebody.

OttoVonBismarck

I love at the end of Argo when they have an audio clip from an older Carter interview where he talks about how he got "Everyone home safe" during the Iran hostage crisis. It's hilarious to see someone try and morph one of the biggest Presidential failures and embarrassments into some sort of success that he had anything at all to do with.

HVC

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 08, 2013, 08:23:32 AM
I love at the end of Argo when they have an audio clip from an older Carter interview where he talks about how he got "Everyone home safe" during the Iran hostage crisis. It's hilarious to see someone try and morph one of the biggest Presidential failures and embarrassments into some sort of success that he had anything at all to do with.
1970's "mission accomplished"?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 08, 2013, 08:23:32 AM

They didn't come home safe?

OttoVonBismarck

That's not really the point. Taking hostage of diplomats is one of the clearest possible casus belli and drastically outside international norms. It should have been met with overwhelming force designed to immediately end the reign of the Ayatollahs. Iran will soon be a nuclear state because we feared the pain of ripping hairs out when yanking the band-aid and have opted for the pain of a shotgun blast to the stomach instead. That's really the truth about our handling of Iran, we avoided a messy war and replaced it with a far worse eventuality. The shame of America for our response to the hostage crisis has never fully been washed off.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 08, 2013, 08:50:39 AM
That's not really the point. Taking hostage of diplomats is one of the clearest possible casus belli and drastically outside international norms. It should have been met with overwhelming force designed to immediately end the reign of the Ayatollahs. Iran will soon be a nuclear state because we feared the pain of ripping hairs out when yanking the band-aid and have opted for the pain of a shotgun blast to the stomach instead. That's really the truth about our handling of Iran, we avoided a messy war and replaced it with a far worse eventuality. The shame of America for our response to the hostage crisis has never fully been washed off.

You're old enough to remember what the world was like in 1979, so don't be silly.  A hostage situation is not the best reason for a superpower showdown in the Persian Gulf.
Now, a shitload of executed hostages, that's different.  But you and I both know that the Soviet Union would not have tolerated military action against Iran, and things would've been ratcheted up quickly at a time when Brezhnev was pretty much mentally incapacitated.