50-Point Swing Against Targeted Drone Killings of U.S. Citizens

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 05:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2013, 02:33:38 AM
I wonder if Randy Weaver would have as much sympathy amongst Conservative-Libertarian types if he was a black radical instead of an white Aryan Nations type.  They can often tell exactly the crimes of the overstretching government at Ruby Ridge but are often ignorant of the MOVE debacle less then ten years previous where the police dropped a fucking bombing on a house and accidentally burned down a whole city block.

I don't think sympathy's really the right term, and I don't think he was an Aryan Nations member.  He was a bit of a nutter, but even nutters have rights.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2013, 11:40:29 PM
:yes: How many lives could've been saved if we just eliminated the whole Ruby Ridge gang quietly, before they raised the stink that drew attention to them?

On what grounds?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2013, 10:35:11 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2013, 11:40:29 PM
:yes: How many lives could've been saved if we just eliminated the whole Ruby Ridge gang quietly, before they raised the stink that drew attention to them?

On what grounds?
Cabin grounds.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on March 28, 2013, 07:38:31 AM
Normally I would agree with you, but this is one of these cases where the public simply will not have enough data to make an informed decision.

In such case I favour letting the public elect the guy who will make an informed decision, rather than letting the public take the decision itself.

That's the kind of thinking that leads to dictatorships.  The leadership simply has to be responsible to the public.  If the leadership gets to decide what the public gets to know, those public elections are meaningless.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on March 28, 2013, 10:51:46 AM
Normally I would agree with you, but this is one of these cases where the public simply will not have enough data to make an informed decision.

In such case I favour letting the public elect the guy who will make an informed decision, rather than letting the public take the decision itself.

That's the kind of thinking that leads to dictatorships.  The leadership simply has to be responsible to the public.  If the leadership gets to decide what the public gets to know, those public elections are meaningless.

Are you into open government?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on March 28, 2013, 10:53:16 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 28, 2013, 10:51:46 AM

Are you into open government?

My dear boy, it is a contradiction in terms; you can be open or you can have government.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2013, 10:33:41 AM
I wonder if Randy Weaver would have as much sympathy amongst Conservative-Libertarian types if he was a black radical instead of an white Aryan Nations type.  They can often tell exactly the crimes of the overstretching government at Ruby Ridge but are often ignorant of the MOVE debacle less then ten years previous where the police dropped a fucking bombing on a house and accidentally burned down a whole city block.

I don't think sympathy's really the right term, and I don't think he was an Aryan Nations member.  He was a bit of a nutter, but even nutters have rights.

He kept showing up at Aryan Nations rallies which is where he was first approached by federal agents.  I think that makes him an Aryan Nations type.  Of course, a lot of conservatives have defending him have tried to whitewash that aspect of the man.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

It's OK for federal agents to be Aryan Nation but when a normal citizen does it it's bad?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

How many more Americans have been killed by drones, since I last looked at this thread ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2013, 01:04:51 PM

He kept showing up at Aryan Nations rallies which is where he was first approached by federal agents.  I think that makes him an Aryan Nations type.  Of course, a lot of conservatives have defending him have tried to whitewash that aspect of the man.

You're Catholic, but we don't shoot you in the face for it :P
and the horse you rode in on

Malthus

On atotally unrelated note - I wonder how "drone" came to mean a robotic aircraft.

I always associated it with the male bee, and it isn't a complement when directed at a person (it usually means a sort of featureless parasite, I guess from the fact that male bees do no work other than procreate).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Here's what wiki has but who knows.

QuoteIn 1931, the British developed the Fairey "Queen" radio-controlled target from the Fairey IIIF floatplane, building a small batch of three, and in 1935 followed up this experiment by producing larger numbers of another RC target, the "DH.82B Queen Bee", derived from the De Havilland Tiger Moth biplane trainer. Through some convoluted path, the name of "Queen Bee" is said to have led to the use of the term "drone" for pilotless aircraft, particularly when they are radio-controlled
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

There was also the Kettering Bug, but it was more of a flying bomb cruise missile type thing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2013, 01:41:42 PM
Here's what wiki has but who knows.

QuoteIn 1931, the British developed the Fairey "Queen" radio-controlled target from the Fairey IIIF floatplane, building a small batch of three, and in 1935 followed up this experiment by producing larger numbers of another RC target, the "DH.82B Queen Bee", derived from the De Havilland Tiger Moth biplane trainer. Through some convoluted path, the name of "Queen Bee" is said to have led to the use of the term "drone" for pilotless aircraft, particularly when they are radio-controlled

Heh, cool. Though not, as you point out, definitive.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2013, 01:04:51 PM

He apparently attended some of their meetings and then at some point had a falling out with them.  But my understanding is that various fringe groups/types tend to make contacts with each other.  He could have been a white supremicist.  Or he could have just been indifferent to it & wanted to make business contacts with them or whatever. 

But I guess we're splitting hairs here-- he was a big conspiracy nutter and certainly no hero to me.  I actually saw him once at a gun show in Maryland.  He was there selling/signing his book.  Oddly enough he wasn't getting much attention as both times I walked by his table he had nobody else there.  He had a really weird (crazy weird) look in his eyes but also seemed to be a bit sad/fatalistic.  Maybe because nobody was buying his book :D