50-Point Swing Against Targeted Drone Killings of U.S. Citizens

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 05:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2013, 03:51:13 PM
Speesh is a tribal Republican IMO (the only one Languish) as Raz is a tribal Democrat (one of several).

The difference is that Raz gets emotionally invested (i.e. turns into a dickhead) on partisan issues in a way that Speesh does not.

This seems accurate

dps

Quote from: fahdiz on March 26, 2013, 03:01:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2013, 02:30:08 PM
On this issue?  Yeah.  Since nobody has shown any interest in actually doing it.

That's simply not true. It's not so much that people are publicly expressing interest; it's that it already has occurred. Now you may or may not think it's justified - or was in that case but wouldn't be in others, etc - but that's a different matter.

Wait, wait, wait, wait!  Drone strikes have been used to kill American citizens inside the US?  I've missed that some how.  When, where, why and who?

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on March 26, 2013, 03:48:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2013, 02:32:26 PM
How?  I'm not nearly as partisan as you are.
:yeahright:   :hmm: From my moderate centrist POV, it looks like you may be lacking in self-awareness.

Stop stalking me.

:P :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

The difference is that Raz gets emotionally invested (i.e. turns into a dickhead) on partisan issues in a way that Speesh does not.

Unless the drone starts thinking about non-traditional drone roles, like being a doctor.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Speesh is a tribal Republican IMO (the only one Languish) as Raz is a tribal Democrat (one of several).

And yourself?  You've been pretty dickish this last week, and not just at me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on March 26, 2013, 03:53:14 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 26, 2013, 03:01:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2013, 02:30:08 PM
On this issue?  Yeah.  Since nobody has shown any interest in actually doing it.

That's simply not true. It's not so much that people are publicly expressing interest; it's that it already has occurred. Now you may or may not think it's justified - or was in that case but wouldn't be in others, etc - but that's a different matter.

Wait, wait, wait, wait!  Drone strikes have been used to kill American citizens inside the US?  I've missed that some how.  When, where, why and who?

Yeah, I'm really interested in how Fahdiz is going to respond here.  I'd like to know about these incidents as well.

fhdz

No, outside the US, without due process of law.

What is the material difference between the assassination of a US citizen outside the US without due process and the assassination of a US citizen inside the US without due process? This is an honest question, not a leading question.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

Quote from: fahdiz on March 26, 2013, 07:22:31 PM

Define "due process of law."  The administration's position, as I understand it, is that "due process of law" is context-sensitive.  Intuitively, I think we all agree that the "due process" necessary before killing a person found armed on a battlefield and attacking United States personnel is relatively low.

Similarly, although Osama Bin Laden was never present in the United States before a jury of his peers, I think most of us would agree he received all "due process" before being killed by Seals.

The stickier questions, of course, arise when there appears to be more time for sober consideration, and the application of more process.

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on March 26, 2013, 07:22:31 PM

What is the material difference between the assassination of a US citizen outside the US without due process and the assassination of a US citizen inside the US without due process? This is an honest question, not a leading question.

Jurisdiction.  For one thing I don't think the CIA even has the power to do things on US soil.  Second, in the US you can just arrest a person and charge him with a crime. Not so easy in Pakistan or Yemen hence using military weapons to kill a target.

Habbaku

Quote from: ulmont on March 26, 2013, 07:34:41 PM
Similarly, although Osama Bin Laden was never present in the United States before a jury of his peers, I think most of us would agree he received all "due process" before being killed by Seals.

Bin Laden was a US citizen? :unsure:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on March 26, 2013, 08:03:14 PM

Bin Laden was a US citizen? :unsure:

Didn't we already go over this bit?  The 5th amendment says "persons," and applies to aliens as well as US citizens.

fhdz

Define "due process of law."  The administration's position, as I understand it, is that "due process of law" is context-sensitive.  Intuitively, I think we all agree that the "due process" necessary before killing a person found armed on a battlefield and attacking United States personnel is relatively low.

It's probably hair-splitting by this point (or not) but the two US citizens killed by drone strike were not found armed on a battlefield attacking United States personnel but were driving a truck at the time they were killed.
and the horse you rode in on