50-Point Swing Against Targeted Drone Killings of U.S. Citizens

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 05:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2013, 01:12:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2013, 01:01:07 PM
Okay, would it be fair for the President to keep a discussion going on whether or not the GOP intends to repeal the 13th amendment or something equally absurd?

How is that relevant or equivalent?

There's no indication that anyone in a position of authority has any plans to attempt to repeal the 13th Amendment nor to use drone strikes to kill American citizens within the US and there's no reason to think that either would get much political support.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 26, 2013, 01:18:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2013, 01:10:57 PM
Anyway, I think there are scenarios where drone strikes on US citizens inside US territory may be warranted.

Tell us some.

Well it'll only be used as a last resort, like when people have escaped the FEMA death camps.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 26, 2013, 01:18:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2013, 01:10:57 PM
Anyway, I think there are scenarios where drone strikes on US citizens inside US territory may be warranted.

Tell us some.

A war or insurrection on US soil where US citizens are fighting with or as the bad guys.  Armed terrorists posing an immediate threat that can't be neutralized by other means.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: dps on March 26, 2013, 01:20:47 PM
There's no indication that anyone in a position of authority has any plans to attempt to repeal the 13th Amendment nor to use drone strikes to kill American citizens within the US and there's no reason to think that either would get much political support.

Still not seeing it.  If they were attempting to repeal an amendment, so what?  That's a constitutional process.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2013, 01:01:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2013, 12:42:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2013, 12:29:44 PM
But it's not really an issue.  The government says it does not intend to do it, and nobody wants it.

In the hearings footage I saw Holder was dancing around the question.  If you've seen or read an unequivocal no, perhaps you could share the source.

And "nobody wants it" is a strange argument to use against conducting a poll.  :hmm:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/07/us-usa-congress-holder-idUSBRE92614B20130307

QuoteIn a two-sentence letter to Kentucky Republican Senator Rand Paul, Holder said he had heard Paul wanted to know if the president could use a drone to kill an American outside of an emergency situation.

"The answer to that question is no," Holder wrote.

Okay, would it be fair for the President to keep a discussion going on whether or not the GOP intends to repeal the 13th amendment or something equally absurd?

It would be monumentally fair to keep the discussion going if significant numbers of GOP legislators had said "we will not repeal the 13th amendment outside of an emergency situation."  Assuming of course, the person who kept the discussion going was opposed to repeal of the amendment *inside* an emergency situation as well.

Razgovory

Have a number of Democratic legislators indicated they wanted to launch drone strikes on US soil?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2013, 01:29:21 PM
Quote from: dps on March 26, 2013, 01:20:47 PM

Still not seeing it.  If they were attempting to repeal an amendment, so what?  That's a constitutional process.

And putting down a rebellion is legal.  So we have two legal things, but nobody has said they wish to do either one of them.  Why would you harp on one or the other?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

MadImmortalMan

http://markey.house.gov/press-release/markey-drone-privacy-legislation-prevent-flying-robots-becoming-spying-robots

Commercial drone licenses.

I can see where they'd be useful for search and rescue ops. Reporters using drones for information gathering? Do paparazzi count as reporters? The traffic copter will be a thing of the past if it isn't already.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Not to the best of my knowledge.

In my example no one indicated they wanted to repeal the 13th either.

By your logic Raz, we should be unconcerned if the president were to say "I will absolutely not drop a nuclear bomb on a US city in a nonemergency situation."  Because, you know, that's not actually proposing it.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2013, 01:54:26 PM
And putting down a rebellion is legal.  So we have two legal things, but nobody has said they wish to do either one of them.  Why would you harp on one or the other?

Because our current president has ordered or approved drone strikes on US citizens outside of US borders.  I have no problem with that (and from what I hear neither does Rand Paul) but I think it's worth discussing what the rules are inside US borders.  The administration gave its answer after some prodding and as far as I'm concerned the discussion is over & we can move on.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2013, 01:58:22 PM
Not to the best of my knowledge.

In my example no one indicated they wanted to repeal the 13th either.

By your logic Raz, we should be unconcerned if the president were to say "I will absolutely not drop a nuclear bomb on a US city in a nonemergency situation."  Because, you know, that's not actually proposing it.

And?

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2013, 01:58:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2013, 01:54:26 PM

Because our current president has ordered or approved drone strikes on US citizens outside of US borders.  I have no problem with that (and from what I hear neither does Rand Paul) but I think it's worth discussing what the rules are inside US borders.  The administration gave its answer after some prodding and as far as I'm concerned the discussion is over & we can move on.

Should we question every possible situation in which policy would change in an emergency situation?  Can the President order a threshing machine to run over someone in an emergency situation?  Can the President order someone frozen in ice as an emergency measure?  It does seem odd that you and other Republicans are suddenly so interested in this.  I mean, a drone was used to kill an American citizen 10 years ago.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamal_Derwish

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2013, 02:07:40 PM
Should we question every possible situation in which policy would change in an emergency situation?  Can the President order a threshing machine to run over someone in an emergency situation?  Can the President order someone frozen in ice as an emergency measure? 

Your partisanship knows no bounds.

QuoteIt does seem odd that you and other Republicans are suddenly so interested in this.  I mean, a drone was used to kill an American citizen 10 years ago.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamal_Derwish

And it would have been worth discussing back then.  Let it go, Raz.  Rand Paul scores a small political victory at the expense of the administration and you go nuts.  You guys still won big last fall.  Doesn't that still make you happy?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2013, 01:59:29 PM
And?

And some people might want some clarification on what would constitute an emergency situation if the executive is reserving the right to do so.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2013, 02:11:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2013, 02:07:40 PM
Should we question every possible situation in which policy would change in an emergency situation?  Can the President order a threshing machine to run over someone in an emergency situation?  Can the President order someone frozen in ice as an emergency measure? 

Your partisanship knows no bounds.

QuoteIt does seem odd that you and other Republicans are suddenly so interested in this.  I mean, a drone was used to kill an American citizen 10 years ago.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamal_Derwish

And it would have been worth discussing back then.  Let it go, Raz.  Rand Paul scores a small political victory at the expense of the administration and you go nuts.  You guys still won big last fall.  Doesn't that still make you happy?

Did you ever work in a theater, cause you seem to be projecting a lot.  I'm not sure what "victory" Rand Paul achieved.  It looks to me that he's pandering to the paranoid wing of the GOP.  Did any Republicans demand answers from the Bush administration about drone strikes in 2002?  If not, why?