And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Kleves on December 15, 2009, 07:39:16 PM
How's this for an MP idea: 7 players, each playing an elector. :mmm:

Sounds cool in principal, but how do you prevent the game from quickly spiraling into an ahistroical multisided total war?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Simple diplomacy should, ideally, solve the problem of a multi-sided total war.  It wouldn't seem to benefit a player to unilaterally start beating up another elector unless that particular one has become diplomatically isolated.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on December 15, 2009, 11:27:00 PM
Simple diplomacy should, ideally, solve the problem of a multi-sided total war.  It wouldn't seem to benefit a player to unilaterally start beating up another elector unless that particular one has become diplomatically isolated.
Languishites engage in meaningful diplomacy!? :yeahright:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

I know I would, if a game was involved.   :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Kleves

Are you saying you're in, Habs? :shifty:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

ulmont

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 15, 2009, 11:29:28 PM

Languishites can't even engage in non-meaningful Diplomacy.  :contract:

Habbaku

Quote from: Kleves on December 15, 2009, 11:35:32 PM
Are you saying you're in, Habs? :shifty:

I would be willing to try to work out a time to play.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Kleves

I'll start a thread, then.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 15, 2009, 11:29:28 PM

I think you underestimate us.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on December 15, 2009, 11:41:56 PM

I think he's just taking stock of the entire Languish population rather than the ones that would be interested in playing such a large MP endeavor.  Among those so-inclined, the potential for diplomacy is rather high.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on December 15, 2009, 11:43:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 15, 2009, 11:41:56 PM

I think he's just taking stock of the entire Languish population rather than the ones that would be interested in playing such a large MP endeavor.  Among those so-inclined, the potential for diplomacy is rather high.
Indeed, the noted war gamer Berkut is well know for his laid back demeanor and ability to compromise with his opponents.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

So my main question before I finalize my purchase...can i rule the world as Navarre?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Just make sure to buy the new expansion for the Complete edition, everyone.

I am in for MP.

As for total war in it: as your war exhaustion piles up, the AIs tend to take advantage of your dire situation, which of course is a domino-like process as the more countries you are in war with, the weaker you appear for the neighbors still in peace with you.

katmai

Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2009, 02:40:31 AM
Just make sure to buy the new expansion for the Complete edition, everyone.

This heir to throne one?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son