And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: katmai on December 16, 2009, 02:43:53 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 16, 2009, 02:40:31 AM
Just make sure to buy the new expansion for the Complete edition, everyone.

This heir to throne one?

yes

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

€20 for a half-assed expansion? WELL FUCK THAT SHIT.

I'm done.

Paradox will not get another fucking KRONA from me.

Vricklund

Eu3 is €16.77 on Gamersgate. I'll check the local bargin bins too but still - it's affordable. I have a few days off during christmas and it started me thinking. Sure the map is ugly and the city view thingy made me vomit but - maybe.

I've checked the required specs and I have a nagging feeling that my 2x1.5GHz processor will not run this game. Anyone playing eu3 on a similar lowspec laptop or should I just buy myself a spanking new, red, plastic sledge and join the other kids on the slopes?

Slargos

Well. It seems gamersgate has at least stopped the $ = € nonsense. One point in their favour.

Vricklund

I remember their downloader being a fine piece of spyware too. Contacting the web at regular intervals, altering my IE internet security settings and installing files in 20 different locations on your hard drive.

If my memory serves me right - maybe I should reconsider? :P

Syt

Quote from: Vricklund on December 16, 2009, 05:18:40 AM
I remember their downloader being a fine piece of spyware too. Contacting the web at regular intervals, altering my IE internet security settings and installing files in 20 different locations on your hard drive.

If my memory serves me right - maybe I should reconsider? :P

They don't use a central program like Steam or Impulse anymore. Every purchase comes with its own little downloader/installer program now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Vricklund

Sounds like an improvement. Does it work well? Do I need continuous internet access or only during install?

Syt

Quote from: Vricklund on December 16, 2009, 05:53:26 AM
Sounds like an improvement. Does it work well? Do I need continuous internet access or only during install?

Only during install AFAIK.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

I started a new game of HTTT last night as the Turks.  I only played for around 10 years in game but the AI seems smarter.  I started off at war as the Timurids and had to (as usual) bring my whole army to the east to try to subdue them, and as soon as I'd cleared out of Europe the Byzantines and Wallachians actually attacked me (never seen that happen before, though it makes perfect sense).  I had to sign a white peace with them since I couldn't fight on both fronts, and then had to sign away Sivas to the Timurids even though I'd defeated their armies in Anatolia, because I was out of reserves and totally exhausted.  Earlier I signed a separate peace with Karaman and got Konya however.

I'm not sure I quite understand how the new CB system works, but I like how the game now tells you if an enemy will accept a white peace or not, and exactly how much prestige/infamy both you and your opponent will accrue depending on what peace deal is signed.  I also like the new Magistrate and the things you can "buy" with one.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

I started playing as Bohemia, to test out the new HRE system.  So far 10-15 years in, it strikes me as making things way too easy for the Emperor, as long as you can win your wars.  You'll get plenty of CBs that allow you to gobble up territories for little Infamy.  I've already more than double my size, as well as acquired 3 vassals/unions, all by way of Imperial CBs and claiming the throne, and I'm still in favor with the majority of the electors, even after being excommunicated.

Caliga

Interesting, I'll have to pay attention to the HRE and how the Emperor's state is doing.  I virtually never play any HRE realms, so I have little insight into how it worked before.  99% of my EU (all iterations of EU) games have been as Portugal, Turkey, France, or Russia.  My only real interaction with the HRE has been to attempt to crush it.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Drakken

Quote from: Slargos on December 16, 2009, 05:05:55 AM
€20 for a half-assed expansion? WELL FUCK THAT SHIT.

I'm done.

Paradox will not get another fucking KRONA from me.

It's definitely not half-assed. We are talking about tweaks, not Diplomacy half-assed.

Drakken

Quote from: Caliga on December 16, 2009, 06:41:56 AM
I started a new game of HTTT last night as the Turks.  I only played for around 10 years in game but the AI seems smarter.  I started off at war as the Timurids and had to (as usual) bring my whole army to the east to try to subdue them, and as soon as I'd cleared out of Europe the Byzantines and Wallachians actually attacked me (never seen that happen before, though it makes perfect sense).  I had to sign a white peace with them since I couldn't fight on both fronts, and then had to sign away Sivas to the Timurids even though I'd defeated their armies in Anatolia, because I was out of reserves and totally exhausted.  Earlier I signed a separate peace with Karaman and got Konya however.

I'm not sure I quite understand how the new CB system works, but I like how the game now tells you if an enemy will accept a white peace or not, and exactly how much prestige/infamy both you and your opponent will accrue depending on what peace deal is signed.  I also like the new Magistrate and the things you can "buy" with one.

Indeed. I love the fact that the new CB actually introduce war-aims that actually make sense with what is happening on the map.

Last night Brittany dared to get involved in my Irish backyard (my Sphere of Influence as England) and I decided to kick the crap out of them (which I did, but because I lost a full 10K army commanded by Henry IV himself after the AI got lucky and caught me with my morale pants down it took 4 years), and as tribute I ordered them to cut diplomatic ties with every single Irish country.  :menace:

And also, while not a call-to-arm per se, allies not involved in wars do have a CB to join in later.

Also, the AI is way more vicious. They'll attempt to exploit every spot in your armor.

When MMP2 is ready with HTTT, it's gonna be the shiznit. I'm creaming my pants just thinking about it. :punk:

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on December 16, 2009, 09:42:35 AM
Interesting, I'll have to pay attention to the HRE and how the Emperor's state is doing.  I virtually never play any HRE realms, so I have little insight into how it worked before.  99% of my EU (all iterations of EU) games have been as Portugal, Turkey, France, or Russia.  My only real interaction with the HRE has been to attempt to crush it.  :)
The HRE in IN had its perks too.  It let you get into wars and CBs quite freely, and gave you a big manpower boost.  However, eventually it wasn't worth it, because the boosts got reduced with the nubmer of members, and the wars increasingly involved superpowers that you did not really want to take on without a major preparation.  Maybe it'll work out to be the same in HttT, but I foresee myself quickly becoming a superpower, so I wouldn't care much.

Right now what happens all too often is that some HRE minor gets involved in a war while not being directly DOWed (so you don't get called in as the Emperor).  Eventually the HRE minor gets annexed, which gives you a very generous CB that allows you to nab many territories from the annexing country at reduced Infamy and peace deal cost.  That's a sweet deal, and allows you to gobble up chunks of superpowers in one go without even completely annihilating them.  In my Emporor CB war against Austria, I occupied five provinces, and got 4 of them in a peace deal, including the two gold-producing ones.  I did destroy most of its military, so I guess I could eventually occupy all 10 of their provinces, but there was no need to.

I'm not sure how much the AI would take advantage of the situation in my spot, however.