News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

No official fix from stardock for the expansion but somebody posted a work around on their forums that got me up and running.

This definitely makes the game a lot more enjoyable.  Lots more going on and no more sitting around waiting for a CB to materialize.  Lots of choices.  Great job on this one.

DGuller

Quote from: Solmyr on December 18, 2009, 02:53:29 PM
I started a game as Austria with HttT. Rulers seem to die like flies now, I'm spending half the time under regency. Also, France got crushed utterly (by a combination of England, Aragon, Burgundy, and Brittany) in the first couple of decades. :)
Yeah, they definitely need to fix dead heirs.  I guess they wanted to beef up "claim the throne" action so much that they made the heirs too death-prone.  In my Bohemia game, the heir with the strong claim died, and was replaced with a 0 year old heir with a weak claim.  That really made me rush through the HRE decisions, to avoid losing my job as the emperor before uniting HRE.

Solmyr

It's not just heirs, actual rulers seem to die way too quickly, often when their heir is still like 5 years old. I'm sure average life expectancy even in the 1400s wasn't *that* short.

DGuller

Maybe they need to dispense with realism, and have both rulers and heirs age twice as fast.  The normal timescale doesn't make for good gameplay, because rulers don't change often enough.  However, fixing it halfway by having them die quicker without aging quicker just means constant anarchy.

Cecil

Quote from: Solmyr on December 19, 2009, 07:49:03 AM
It's not just heirs, actual rulers seem to die way too quickly, often when their heir is still like 5 years old. I'm sure average life expectancy even in the 1400s wasn't *that* short.

Average life expectancy is something of a misnomer back in those days. Most people tended to live a fairly long life if they got out of childhood. Getting that far was the problem.

DGuller

Is it just me, or are Protestant and Reformed religions coming on much stronger in HttT?  As HRE, I really tried to defend Catholicism for a while, but in a matter of a couple of years pretty much all of Central Europe converted to Reformed.  Doesn't it suck when you try to stem the tide, convert a couple of provinces back to Catholic, only to eventually have to switch religions and convert them back?  Yuck. 

At least I did my best to grab Catholic provinces on the cheap from non-Catholic countries, and force them to change state religion to Catholic.  Once I changed to Reformed myself, I of course grabbed all the Reformed provinces from those heretic Catholic states.  It wasn't a bad way at all to get a bunch of provinces without yet crossing the badboy Rubicon.

Alcibiades

Yeah seems that way.  Playing a game as france and I'm thinking about converting to protestant in 1590.  :mellow:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tamas

New beta patch is out btw.

Solmyr

Well, as Austria my lands are staunchly Catholic and any protestant heretics are quickly converted. I'm also enjoying those religious unity CBs (forced the Swiss to convert to Catholic and they dutifully reconverted their provinces as well).

DGuller

Quote from: Solmyr on December 20, 2009, 07:03:26 AM
Well, as Austria my lands are staunchly Catholic and any protestant heretics are quickly converted. I'm also enjoying those religious unity CBs (forced the Swiss to convert to Catholic and they dutifully reconverted their provinces as well).
You need to work harder on uniting HRE.

Solmyr

Once thing it's still sorely missing is the ability to give provinces conquered in a war directly to other people. As Austria, I smacked down the upstart Palatinate and wanted to return some of their Bavarian provinces back to Bavaria, but the only way to do it was to annex them myself first and take the infamy hit.

Camerus

In my game I am finding the opposite.  As Protestant England, I think I am the only protestant state left in the world after all the forced conversions.

jimmy olsen

At least the process spurs religious warfare, which is much more realistic.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

How do you guys keep your head above water prestige wise? My allies keep getting in absolutely retarded wars that I don't want to get involved in. <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Solmyr on December 20, 2009, 09:29:08 AM
Once thing it's still sorely missing is the ability to give provinces conquered in a war directly to other people. As Austria, I smacked down the upstart Palatinate and wanted to return some of their Bavarian provinces back to Bavaria, but the only way to do it was to annex them myself first and take the infamy hit.
:huh: Sell the province to whoever you want for 0 ducats?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points