Will the Government shut down on the 27th of March?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 24, 2013, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 28, 2013, 12:29:06 AM
Yep. The private market is broken.

Which means it is really really going to suck when it falls apart.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2013, 02:00:49 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 28, 2013, 12:29:06 AM
Yep. The private market is broken.

Which means it is really really going to suck when it falls apart.

Stop hating Freedomness and Libertytude.

KRonn

Lol, sequester, agencies having to trim everything they do rather than cut out where it makes most sense for them. Great idea, not.

Also, I think it's more of a cut in growth of spending, not an actual cut in the current budget. That's like you getting a 3% raise instead of a 5%. At least as I understand what's going on, which is difficult to figure out given all the hoopla around it.

Besides, it's 2% of the budget. 85 billion is practically a rounding error in a 3.6 trillion dollar budget! If they can't cut 2% of that size budget without using the lameness of the sequester setup, while also running a 1.4 trillion dollar yearly deficit, they might as well shut lights off and go home as it can only get worse given the incompetence.

derspiess

I do enjoy seeing Democrats act as if this is as lean as the federal government could possibly ever be.  Oh, and the White House threatening Bob Woodward is also pretty hilarious.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

There have been hiring freezes in place for a while now in the agencies I deal with. Training programs stopped accepting applicants a while back. I guess they're expecting a dip in activity with some furloughs and layoffs followed by a return to normal a bit later. I wonder how much of it will not go back to the old normal though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2013, 10:39:33 AM
Oh, and the White House threatening Bob Woodward is also pretty hilarious.

The man's been threatened since 1972.  He's used to it.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 28, 2013, 02:19:03 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2013, 10:39:33 AM
Oh, and the White House threatening Bob Woodward is also pretty hilarious.

The man's been threatened since 1972.  He's used to it.

Hey btw it sounds like your guy Biden has some additional home defense shotgun tips to share with us:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/guns/2013/02/gun-control-joe-biden-interview

QuoteI said, "Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door."

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2013, 02:25:42 PM
QuoteI said, "Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door."

Complete and total awesomeness.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 28, 2013, 02:30:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2013, 02:25:42 PM

Complete and total awesomeness.

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Can't wait until Shotgun Joe bags himself his first land shark.

derspiess

He might get some birds if he follows his other advice and fires into the air from his balcony.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers