Will the Government shut down on the 27th of March?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 24, 2013, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2013, 04:07:02 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 27, 2013, 03:59:54 PM
Wait, is somebody actually talking about cutting Social Security?

Mostly in the form of flags run up poles.  The GOP has asked for "entitlement reform," and Barry has made soft murmuring noises about raising the eligibility age.

I guess that's the best concession that Obama is in fact open to making some changes anyone is going to get from you. :lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fate

Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2013, 04:10:56 PM
Medicare, on the other hand, cannot be rescued.
Don't be ridiculous. Of course it can be rescued by higher taxes and benefit cuts.

There is no alternative. The private market will not provide affordable health insurance to sick old people. Only the government can do it.

Admiral Yi

Well we have to raise the eligibility age.  It is the only way to keep it solvent.  Medicare, on the other hand, cannot be rescued.

There are other ways.  Increase FICA.  Means test it. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2013, 03:06:23 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2013, 02:58:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 27, 2013, 02:56:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2013, 11:45:25 AM
The problem is, is that the way Obama has done it over the last four years is to take out a credit card from the Bank of China in the name of our children, driving up our national debt so that we now have over $16 trillion of debt that we are going to have to pay back — $52,000 for every man, woman and child. That's irresponsible. It's unpatriotic.

And it's unprecedented!

:lol:

Yeah, it's almost as if we've heard someone say that before.  Like maybe back in 2008?

I was thinking more like 1988.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 27, 2013, 04:23:22 PM
I guess that's the best concession that Obama is in fact open to making some changes anyone is going to get from you. :lol:

Not sure what it is I'm conceding, and not sure what you mean by Obama being "open to making some changes."  Does that mean he hasn't threatened a veto?

Some White House flunky was on CNN the other day talking about the president's counterproposal to the sequester.  The Wolfman pressed the dude hard on what other spending cuts were in the proposal to take the place of the $85 billion in sequester cuts, and the best he could come up with is $3 billion in Farm Bill reduction.

I read an article a while back, think it was the NYT, talking about how the mirror image of Boehner's issue with raising taxes and the GOP rank and file is Obama's problem with cutting Social Security or Medicare and the Democratic rank and file.

And frankly Obama has never shown much interest in cutting anything.  Listen to his speeches about the calamitous sequester.  Every dollar of federal spending is precious to him.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Phillip V

Will the sequester cause DC real estate prices to plummet?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 27, 2013, 05:17:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 27, 2013, 04:23:22 PM

Not sure what it is I'm conceding, and not sure what you mean by Obama being "open to making some changes."  Does that mean he hasn't threatened a veto?

Some White House flunky was on CNN the other day talking about the president's counterproposal to the sequester.  The Wolfman pressed the dude hard on what other spending cuts were in the proposal to take the place of the $85 billion in sequester cuts, and the best he could come up with is $3 billion in Farm Bill reduction.

I read an article a while back, think it was the NYT, talking about how the mirror image of Boehner's issue with raising taxes and the GOP rank and file is Obama's problem with cutting Social Security or Medicare and the Democratic rank and file.

And frankly Obama has never shown much interest in cutting anything.  Listen to his speeches about the calamitous sequester.  Every dollar of federal spending is precious to him.

It means he's willing to make spending cuts.  He has said that right?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Again, what do you mean by willing?  He hasn't put forth any proposals of his own, except for that $3 billion I mentioned.  He hasn't agreed to of the GOP proposals.

If the point of all this is to highlight that Obama hasn't signed any "don't cut any spending" pledges Norquist-style, then you're right, he hasn't.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Fate on February 27, 2013, 04:50:54 PM
Don't be ridiculous. Of course it can be rescued by higher taxes and benefit cuts.

There is no alternative. The private market will not provide affordable health insurance to sick old people. Only the government can do it.

Yep. The private market is broken.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2013, 12:04:44 AM
Again, what do you mean by willing?  He hasn't put forth any proposals of his own, except for that $3 billion I mentioned.  He hasn't agreed to of the GOP proposals.

If the point of all this is to highlight that Obama hasn't signed any "don't cut any spending" pledges Norquist-style, then you're right, he hasn't.

By willing I mean has he said he would be willing to cut spending.  That's a simple question, it can be answered yes or no.

Valmy

Quote from: Fate on February 27, 2013, 04:50:54 PM

I am not talking about alternatives I am just talking about feasibility and sustainability and I do not think the government can do it.  If it can be rescued then great lets do so.  The do nothing strategy and watching the slow motion train wreck is getting to be a dangerous luxury.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."