Has Jeremy Irons always been this nuts?

Started by Martinus, April 05, 2013, 01:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Looks to me like a jet-lagged actor rambling on about stuff that he claims no special knowledge about  :hmm:

Martinus

Stephen Colbert's rebuttal was hillarious by the way.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 09:26:01 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2013, 05:40:23 PM
I don't see anything here that a reasonable person would be offended by.  It certainly is rambling, but the idea of a father marrying a son for tax reasons isn't one I had thought of before, and is an amusing and clever hypothetical.

I know it is the HuffPost so we are supposed to sneer at the people the HuffPost writers sneer at, but this seems to be a innocuous stream-of-consciousness response to a fairly innocuous question.

He seems crazed but I don't think I could find fault if someone was offended by the early bit where he worries if gays fighting for the name debases what marriage is.

Or the part where he uses a marrying-a-dog analogy in a rambling rant about gay marriage.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

So, Marty you didn't a problem with the incest thing then?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 06, 2013, 02:34:58 AM

Not really. He is right that the only reasonable justification against incest is a possibility of transmitting genetic disease to offspring - something absent in same sex relationships.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2013, 02:18:35 AM
Or the part where he uses a marrying-a-dog analogy in a rambling rant about gay marriage.
Yeah, but that's not really offensive.  I mean, sure, it's not nice to ask those sorts of questions where perverts can hear, but it's a reasonable thing to wonder about.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2013, 02:18:35 AM

I can see why you would be offended by your delusions about what he said, but in the actual interview he makes no such analogy and doesn't rant.  Maybe you should take your reactions to your delusions to some board that caters to deluded people.  Here, it just sounds pathetic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Ok, I reconsidered my view and no longer think that what he said was offensive.

Grallon

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 05, 2013, 09:07:32 PM
Looking forward to season 3 of the Borgias.   :)

Indeed.  I've bee watching this non stop all weekend.  Primed for season3.  While they took liberties with History - it wasn't as glaring or jarring as in HBO's Rome.  And the one who plays Cesare is a Quebecer (and who would have thought - no accent whatsoever) - and hot as shit!  I rooted for the one who played Juan at first but the character became so thoroughly unpleasant, so quickly, I was praying for his demise - and it happened!

So returning to Irons - he did/does a great job with this character - sometimes commending - sometimes playful - sometimes ridiculous... definitely *not* a one-dimentional character.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2013, 07:47:22 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 06, 2013, 02:34:58 AM

Not really. He is right that the only reasonable justification against incest is a possibility of transmitting genetic disease to offspring - something absent in same sex relationships.

Wrong.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)