News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Faux

Started by mongers, April 07, 2013, 07:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

What do you find pretentious, fake or insincere ?

I hate those instagram photos people post on the web, where they've taken a very mundane picture, applied one of the silly filters to give it a 'look' and worst of all applied an effect/frame with the fake codes from real film emulsions to make it look like a real/retro negative/transparency.  :P

Just because your image has a black/dark blue tinged border with RVP100 on it in yellow, doesn't make it any good.

Hint, if you want to do something that's 'authentic' along those lines, spend 50 bucks on an old twin lenses camera load it up with the real mcCoy, in this instance Fuji Velvia slide film.
Have some fun, lean a few new things, send off the film for processing and you'll get back some large 6cmx6cm images that'll be unique, won't fade, get lost in a computer crash and in all probability will out last you by a good margin.   
Plus your descendent will probably regard them as treasured family historical documents.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2013, 07:05:47 PM
Hint, if you want to do something that's 'authentic' along those lines, spend 50 bucks on an old twin lenses camera load it up with the real mcCoy, in this instance Fuji Velvia slide film.
Have some fun, lean a few new things, send off the film for processing and you'll get back some large 6cmx6cm images that'll be unique, won't fade, get lost in a computer crash and in all probability will out last you by a good margin.

Sad thing is, real film is going the way of the carrier pigeon and the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 07, 2013, 07:21:36 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2013, 07:05:47 PM

Sad thing is, real film is going the way of the carrier pigeon and the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm.

It isn't, the main UK film manufacturer,Ilford is doing well, sales and profits up.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Fauxboutins.  Pathetic.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)