News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Marriage Equality Is a Conservative Cause"

Started by Berkut, February 21, 2013, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2013, 03:02:10 PM
He never had a chance to resonate with anyone if he had no money.

He arguably raised little money because he was such a lousy candidate that wasn't liked very much by the GOP base. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on February 21, 2013, 03:10:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 02:57:07 PM
Along with the fact that he didn't resonate with the GOP base.
Isn't the issue that the GOP base is insufficient?

To what?  Win the primary?  :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

Quote from: Maximus on February 21, 2013, 03:10:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 02:57:07 PM
Along with the fact that he didn't resonate with the GOP base.
Isn't the issue that the GOP base is insufficient?

Are you using 'insufficient' as a synonym for 'bat-shit-crazy'?

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 03:12:10 PM
To what?  Win the primary?  :huh:
No, the election.

Specifically that the party needs to appeal to a wider base in order to remain relevant.

Maximus

Quote from: sbr on February 21, 2013, 03:12:19 PM
Are you using 'insufficient' as a synonym for 'bat-shit-crazy'?
Not a synonym, but they may both be effects of the same cause.

Eddie Teach

Problem is they've got too many old people who don't "get it" that the party needs to shift on gay marriage and immigration to stay relevant.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 21, 2013, 03:20:31 PM
Problem is they've got too many old people who don't "get it" that the party needs to shift on gay marriage and immigration to stay relevant.

Yes. Though I question even how successful that will be (the subtext being courting latino voters). Of the Mexican parties, PRI and PRD are both in the International and that's 60% of the popular support there. I don't think appealing to immigration issues while staying against abortion and stuff is enough of a winning formula with hispanics, frankly.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Disagree on the 2nd. 

Mainly because I don't buy into the narrative that the GOP position on immigration is driven by nativism and xenophobia.  Any more than I buy into the counternarrative that the Democratic position is driven by lust for more Democratic voters.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on February 21, 2013, 02:34:59 PM
I simply do not understand how Huntsman was never a serious candidate, when teakazoids like Gingrich were.

He colluded with That Black Guy.  And yes, it's actually that simple of an explanation.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 21, 2013, 03:27:48 PM
I simply do not understand how Huntsman was never a serious candidate, when teakazoids like Gingrich were.

He colluded with That Black Guy.  And yes, it's actually that simple of an explanation.

You always make everything about race.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

I'd have voted Huntsman. Good foreign policy chops, level-headed, refuses to maintain ignorant positions on evolution and climate change just to get elected.

He's absolutely right about marriage equality, too.

Oh well.
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2013, 03:02:10 PM
He never had a chance to resonate with anyone if he had no money.

Didn't stop most of the other candidates, many of whom spent zilch in the early primaries.  So you don't need money to resonate with the base, when batshit stupid will do.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2013, 03:33:50 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 21, 2013, 03:27:48 PM

You always make everything about race.

So do Republicans.  So we're even.

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 03:11:37 PM
He arguably raised little money because he was such a lousy candidate that wasn't liked very much by the GOP base.

The way the GOP base has been going the last 20 years or so, I'd be honored to be considered a "lousy", "unlikeable" candidate.
and the horse you rode in on

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 21, 2013, 03:25:34 PM

Yes. Though I question even how successful that will be (the subtext being courting latino voters). Of the Mexican parties, PRI and PRD are both in the International and that's 60% of the popular support there. I don't think appealing to immigration issues while staying against abortion and stuff is enough of a winning formula with hispanics, frankly.

They don't need a majority of hispanics. They do need to be competitive and not write them off as a lost cause like blacks. And I don't think Mexicans are significantly more in favor of abortion than white Americans are.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?