"Marriage Equality Is a Conservative Cause"

Started by Berkut, February 21, 2013, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 04:28:11 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 04:20:08 PM
How's that?

Even discounting his immoderate positions on social issues, he's stated that he wants to abolish Louisiana state corporate and personal income tax without raising sales taxes by the same amount :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I'm sure that will evolve.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 04:35:50 PM
I'm sure that will evolve.

I would hope so, but the fact that he'd even float such a thing publicly says to me: fruitcake. It's not like Louisiana's got a lot of money in the bank. :blink:

It's kind of like he decided one day he really likes the Road Warrior movies and said "what's the quickest way I can get Louisiana to be just like that?"
and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on February 21, 2013, 04:35:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 03:55:54 PM
Anyway I don't think it's possible for any candidate to win in this day & age without solid support from his base.
Isn't that somewhat tautological?

I don't think so.  Why?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

It would depend on your definition of "base" which I would think that would be something to the effect of "the people who support you solidly".

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on February 21, 2013, 04:44:23 PM
It would depend on your definition of "base" which I would think that would be something to the effect of "the people who support you solidly".

Okay, I see where I was vague.  I meant the party's base.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2013, 04:20:40 PM
Jindal is pretty fruity.  Fat Boy is a man though.

My money is on either Rubio or Christie.  Rubio will be the conservative canidate and Christie will be the moderate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 04:32:50 PM
Who will be the 2016 Santorum?

Santorum will.  The War on Whore Pills isn't going away anytime soon.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2013, 05:20:01 PM
My money is on either Rubio or Christie.  Rubio will be the conservative canidate and Christie will be the moderate.

Rubio is in the process of trying to outflank Obama on the left on immigration.  I don't think he works as a conservatibe candidate.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 21, 2013, 03:25:34 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 21, 2013, 03:20:31 PM
Problem is they've got too many old people who don't "get it" that the party needs to shift on gay marriage and immigration to stay relevant.

Yes. Though I question even how successful that will be (the subtext being courting latino voters). Of the Mexican parties, PRI and PRD are both in the International and that's 60% of the popular support there. I don't think appealing to immigration issues while staying against abortion and stuff is enough of a winning formula with hispanics, frankly.

I think that might be flawed thinking as the Latino immigrants are unlikely to be members of a party in a country they no longer live in.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2013, 05:22:00 PM

Rubio is in the process of trying to outflank Obama on the left on immigration.  I don't think he works as a conservatibe candidate.

Yeah, but the whole GOP is moving on the immigration thing.  I don't think this is going to make him an extreme leftist.  I mean Bush was of the same opinion on Immigration and the party regarded him as a conservative.  A lot of the base rebelled and so the GOP fucked itself over, but I'm not sure they'll do that again.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2013, 05:26:05 PM
Yeah, but the whole GOP is moving on the immigration thing.  I don't think this is going to make him an extreme leftist.  I mean Bush was of the same opinion on Immigration and the party regarded him as a conservative.  A lot of the base rebelled and so the GOP fucked itself over, but I'm not sure they'll do that again.

I think Bush sold himself as a conservative primarily because he knew how to schmooze televangelists.

And also because significant portions of he press were happy to label him conservative as an epithet.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2013, 05:22:00 PM

Rubio certainly can.  He's a Tea Party guy, FFS.

DGuller

Today he is.  By 2016, Tea Party may wind up being the liberal wing of the party.

OttoVonBismarck

Bush II was part of the short-lived "compassionate conservative" movement, which was anchored around concepts like lots of Republican-flavored handouts to old people and the poor along with being nice to Mexicans and such. It lacked any real direction on foreign policy, so when foreign policy became the issue of the first term of the Bush Presidency the neo-cons ensconced in DoD positions and other parts of his administration teamed up with the corporatists like Cheney and ran away with the football.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2013, 05:28:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2013, 05:26:05 PM

I think Bush sold himself as a conservative primarily because he knew how to schmooze televangelists.

And also because significant portions of he press were happy to label him conservative as an epithet.

And this will be different for Rubio how?