News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Marriage Equality Is a Conservative Cause"

Started by Berkut, February 21, 2013, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 03:34:08 PM
I'd have voted Huntsman. Good foreign policy chops, level-headed, refuses to maintain ignorant positions on evolution and climate change just to get elected.

He's absolutely right about marriage equality, too.

Oh well.

You would have & that's great.  But I doubt he would have done even as well as Romney did in the general.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 03:40:14 PM
You would have & that's great.  But I doubt he would have done even as well as Romney did in the general.

In the end, neither Romney nor Huntsman got to be President.
and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 03:42:07 PM

2012 was just another in a string of bad fields for the GOP primary.  Oddly, I'm pretty upbeat about the potential options for 2016: Rubio, Jeb Bush, Christie, Ryan, Jindal, and a couple others that don't immediately come to mind.  Could be the best field since 1988.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

If Huntsman could have gotten out of the primary without saying stupid things to appeal to the Republican base/donors he definitely would have done better.  Romney was a decent candidate before the primary started and it became a right wing stupid-off.  For whatever support Huntsman would have lost on the right he would gain from the center, which in terms of winning the general election is a lot more valuable.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 03:46:13 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 03:42:07 PM

2012 was just another in a string of bad fields for the GOP primary.  Oddly, I'm pretty upbeat about the potential options for 2016: Rubio, Jeb Bush, Christie, Ryan, Jindal, and a couple others that don't immediately come to mind.  Could be the best field since 1988.

Won't matter.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

So then what issues would Huntsman have run on in the general election to differentiate himself from Obama?  Anyway I don't think it's possible for any candidate to win in this day & age without solid support from his base.

derspiess

fhdz

The thing is: a bad platform acquires bad candidates to field it.

GOP lost the popular vote in five out of the last six presidential elections, man, as Huntsman points out in that article. That's not so much five bad fields as it is one truly ridiculous platform.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 03:57:01 PM

GOP lost the popular vote in five out of the last six presidential elections, man, as Huntsman points out in that article. That's not so much five bad fields as it is one truly ridiculous platform.

Are most voters that aware of their party's official platform? :unsure:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 03:56:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2013, 03:55:53 PM
Won't matter.

Bit early to say that.

You're right;  some of those people you named may actually have the time to get something accomplished by 2016--unlike the 1988 candidates, who were already accomplished individuals.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2013, 03:58:10 PM
Are most voters that aware of their party's official platform? :unsure:

In a general sense? Yes, I would imagine so.

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 03:57:01 PM

I'm pretty comfortable in saying the fields were pretty bad.  Echoing what grabon said, I don't think party platforms are really of much direct importance (Languish excluded) in presidential elections.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 21, 2013, 03:59:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 03:56:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2013, 03:55:53 PM
Won't matter.

Bit early to say that.

You're right;  some of those people you named may actually have the time to get something accomplished by 2016--unlike the 1988 candidates, who were already accomplished individuals.

If not, then it's all Haig's fault :contract:

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2013, 03:02:10 PM

He never had a chance to resonate with anyone if he had no money.

You have that backwards.  If he didn't resonate, that's why no one gave him any money...