Woman Found Dead at Oscar Pistorius' Home

Started by Sheilbh, February 14, 2013, 01:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

fhdz

Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2013, 04:11:37 PM
Really?

Really. When they float something like this to see if we'll bite, more often than not we do.

QuoteAnd that's a good thing ?

I'm not placing a value judgment on it at the moment, just noting that it's not necessarily a one-way street like your post seemed to indicate. The media would not sensationalize if we said "fuck you, I'm switching media outlets" every time they tried to do so.
and the horse you rode in on

Eddie Teach

Quote from: fahdiz on February 20, 2013, 04:07:53 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2013, 03:51:51 PM
Why is this story getting so much news coverage, over here on several different channels it's been the main news story for several days ?

For me, I guess it's a good litmus test for lazy journalism and news programmes that have given up their news gathering ethos, preferring to peddle sensationalism and little more than celebrity gossip, rather than the important things going on in the world.

They do this because we - the viewing public - have told them and keep telling them this is the stuff we want.

Speak for yourself. I tell them I want scripted dramas and nature shows.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on February 20, 2013, 04:28:32 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2013, 04:11:37 PM
Really?

Really. When they float something like this to see if we'll bite, more often than not we do.

QuoteAnd that's a good thing ?

I'm not placing a value judgment on it at the moment, just noting that it's not necessarily a one-way street like your post seemed to indicate. The media would not sensationalize if we said "fuck you, I'm switching media outlets" every time they tried to do so.

[ :bowler:*]

People should be told about the wider world and what's important and what isn't.

[/ :bowler:*]

*public service broadcasting
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Supposedly the Olympics has one of the toughest drug testing standards, and the story is out that Pistorius had boxes of performance enhancing drugs in his home. I love watching the Olympics, especially the running events (as I run quite a bit myself), but I think if you need to suspend disbelief a bit when watching the events--I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out that the entire 100m mens finals field was doping.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

But I think an interesting point of view is that if the Olympics have very tough standards that can be flouted, what does that say about American sports, where you not only have much easier standards but the labor unions fight tooth and nail over any attempt to increase testing?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Admiral Yi

I feel sorry for the schlemiel who bought the movie rights.  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2013, 10:46:22 AM
Supposedly the Olympics has one of the toughest drug testing standards, and the story is out that Pistorius had boxes of performance enhancing drugs in his home. I love watching the Olympics, especially the running events (as I run quite a bit myself), but I think if you need to suspend disbelief a bit when watching the events--I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out that the entire 100m mens finals field was doping.

Well they actually ate a little crow and admitted they still don't have the results back on the drugs they took from his bathroom.

Also it looks like he wasn't actually tested at the Olympics.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2013/02/20/oscar-pistorius-case-issue-drug-testing/1934433/

QuoteSince he was not a top-five finalist in his two events and not selected randomly, Pistorius wasn't tested during the Olympics, the International Olympic Committee told Agence France-Presse. More than 5,000 tests were conducted in London.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Hopefully some Jamaican runner shoots someone in their home as well, maybe then we'll get to the bottom of the improbable success of Usain Bolt.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2013, 10:54:15 AM

Well they actually ate a little crow and admitted they still don't have the results back on the drugs they took from his bathroom.

Also it looks like he wasn't actually tested at the Olympics.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2013/02/20/oscar-pistorius-case-issue-drug-testing/1934433/

QuoteSince he was not a top-five finalist in his two events and not selected randomly, Pistorius wasn't tested during the Olympics, the International Olympic Committee told Agence France-Presse. More than 5,000 tests were conducted in London.

So what would be a more dream crushing story?

--What currently happened (Pistorius murders girlfriend after losing in Olympics)
--Pistorius wins gold, and then fails drug test

I'm talking about how the story would play in the media; obviously for his girlfriend the current story would be hard to top indeed.

Viking

I think the best plot would be the one where blade runner kills the replicant with supermodel good looks who thinks she is human before she realizes that she neither ages and is about to die like all other replicants at age 5 as an act of love.

Or... he kills her when he finds out she is a replicant sent to insinuate herself into blade runners life as a mole to help escaped replicants avoid his just wrath.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2013, 10:49:18 AM
I feel sorry for the schlemiel who bought the movie rights.  :lol:

You can still make the film, it's just going to be different kind of film then they originally intended.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2013, 12:41:02 PM

So what would be a more dream crushing story?

--What currently happened (Pistorius murders girlfriend after losing in Olympics)
--Pistorius wins gold, and then fails drug test

I'm talking about how the story would play in the media; obviously for his girlfriend the current story would be hard to top indeed.
A world famous sports celebrity that is a doper is not really unusual. A world famous sports celebrity that is a murderer is unusual, definitely the bigger story in the media.