News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Woman Found Dead at Oscar Pistorius' Home

Started by Sheilbh, February 14, 2013, 01:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2013, 10:48:03 AM
But I think an interesting point of view is that if the Olympics have very tough standards that can be flouted, what does that say about American sports, where you not only have much easier standards but the labor unions fight tooth and nail over any attempt to increase testing?

Because no one gives a god damn shit. WIN BABY WIN
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on February 21, 2013, 12:55:19 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2013, 12:41:02 PM

So what would be a more dream crushing story?

--What currently happened (Pistorius murders girlfriend after losing in Olympics)
--Pistorius wins gold, and then fails drug test

I'm talking about how the story would play in the media; obviously for his girlfriend the current story would be hard to top indeed.
A world famous sports celebrity that is a doper is not really unusual. A world famous sports celebrity that is a murderer is unusual, definitely the bigger story in the media.

I think that is the answer--although he would be a different type of sports hero if he won, sort of like a modern day Jesse Owens but disabled (although on the flip side there would probably be backlash that the blades gave him an unfair advantage).

I would add that murdering sports stars are somewhat more common on this side of the Atlantic.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2013, 10:48:03 AM
But I think an interesting point of view is that if the Olympics have very tough standards that can be flouted, what does that say about American sports, where you not only have much easier standards but the labor unions fight tooth and nail over any attempt to increase testing?

That's an interesting point of view as much because it relies on falsehoods (like the canard that "the labor unions fight tooth and nail over any attempt to increase testing") as because it presumes that the 'high standards" of the Olympics are being flouted based on unknown substances found in the home of a paralympian.   I am assuming that you know that "American sports" is a meaningless term when used to refer to drug testing.

What the IOC gets praised for, from what I see, is not their "very tough standards," but their very thorough procedures.  The IOC procedures provide for unannounced tests year-round, have good procedures to limit the possibilities of fraudulent submissions, and provide strong security for the samples to deter tampering after submission.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

I thought it was generally accepted that players unions generally oppose any effort to increase drug testing :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 01:55:48 PM
I thought it was generally accepted that players unions generally oppose any effort to increase drug testing :huh:

MLB and the players' union just agreed in January to increase drug testing.
and the horse you rode in on

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2013, 12:49:22 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2013, 10:49:18 AM
I feel sorry for the schlemiel who bought the movie rights.  :lol:

You can still make the film, it's just going to be different kind of film then they originally intended.

Yeah, and more people might watch it now.

Quote from: ZanzaA world famous sports celebrity that is a doper is not really unusual. A world famous sports celebrity that is a murderer is unusual, definitely the bigger story in the media.
Quote from: alfred russellmurdering sports stars are somewhat more common on this side of the Atlantic.

Besides O.J. Simpson, Rae Carruth,  and Ray Lewis, name three.  Actual stars, too, not journeymen or the like.

sbr

I don't think Carruth was a star in the NFL was he?

katmai

Young promising wideout, but not in same status as other two.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on February 21, 2013, 07:06:37 PM
Besides O.J. Simpson, Rae Carruth,  and Ray Lewis, name three.  Actual stars, too, not journeymen or the like.

How many European stars can you name that murdered people?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: fahdiz on February 21, 2013, 02:26:04 PM

Yeah, a negotiated agreement after the union balked (haha?) at MLB's plan, that leaves testing well short of olympic standards or what fifa is moving to and I believe doesn't include blood testing at all.

sbr

Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2013, 07:21:31 PM

Yeah, a negotiated agreement after the union balked (haha?) at MLB's plan, that leaves testing well short of olympic standards or what fifa is moving to and I believe doesn't include blood testing at all.

They agreed to HGH testing, and I thought the only test for that was a blood test.

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on February 21, 2013, 01:55:48 PM

Yeah, but only in reaction to recent events.  They have a history of resisting increased testing and punishment for violations.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2013, 07:18:49 PM

How many European stars can you name that murdered people?

Pansy ass eurotrash soccer players can't beat up their amazon like model wags.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

I see what you did there.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on February 21, 2013, 07:14:30 PM
Young promising wideout, but not in same status as other two.

He was an NFL starter.  If you followed football, you knew who he was.