Oxnard
9 (24.3%)
Other
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2013, 05:46:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2013, 05:01:15 PM
Pop quiz: which royal family holds the record for generations of direct male descent?

Extra credit: how many generations?

Japanese royal family.

No idea how many generations.

Ah, good guess

crazy canuck

Pop quiz: which royal family holds the record for generations of direct male descent?

Looked it up, I would never have guessed it.

jimmy olsen

Japanese royal family.

There were Empresses thrown in there.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Nepal ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 04, 2013, 06:00:08 PM

Japanese royal family.

There were Empresses thrown in there.

From wiki:

QuoteWomen were allowed to succeed (but there existed no known children of theirs whose father did not also happen to be an agnate of the imperial house, thus there is neither a precedent that a child of an imperial woman with a non-imperial man could inherit, nor a precedent forbidding it for children of empresses).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

In regard to common ancestry and isolated populations, it is generally thought for sure that you only have to go back about 5,000 for a common ancestor to everyone and in fact there is strong evidence some historical figures alive in the past 2,000 years may literally be a common ancestor to huge portions of living humans today. The Genghis Khan effect can exaggerate this, as he had the pick of the healthiest women, had a huge harem and fathered many children even outside his harem. His offspring were all highly prized catches more or less, and had almost the best selection of women, huge harems, and tons of children even outside their core group of women. For this reason parts of central there is a substantial percentage of the total population who have Genghis Khan's Y chromosome.

Europeans started coming into contact with aborigines in Australia and Amazonian natives in the past 500 years. There are scattered tribes in Amazonia that had virtually or in fact no European contact at all until the latter part of the 20th century. But, there is virtually no evidence these tribes had no contact with anyone, they just had no contact with the West. In fact, many of the most isolated Amazonia tribes, numbering sometimes less than a few hundred, regularly interbred with other close by tribes. It kind of makes sense, practices like that would be important for social and vitality reasons. So it's in fact the case that when Spaniards started fathering children with South American natives over 500 years ago, their genetic influence went much deeper into Amazonia than Europeans themselves did for hundreds of years. This makes sense, natives have reasons to go back into the bush, Europeans not nearly so much, and people fuck each other constantly and have kids and spread genetic material from tribe to tribe.

If you do the math, going back enough generations you quickly end up with more mathematically possible ancestors than humans who lived at that point in time. What this means of course is all of us are descended from some individuals through multiple lines (pedigree collapse.) Thus with any species, go back far enough and you enter a situation where every person alive at that point in time falls into two categories. One is persons with no single living descendent today. The other are people whom everyone is descended from today. The point in human history in which all living persons either have no descendants or all living persons are common ancestors to all presently living humans is only estimated at furthest back to be 15,000 years ago and many think it is as recent as 5000 years ago.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2013, 06:52:59 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 04, 2013, 06:08:18 PM
Nepal ?

Nope.

The Frenchies? My guess is based on the fact that I don't believe France ever had a regnal Queen, and that IIRC all the French Kings til the Revolution were male-line descendants of Hugh Capet.

If not then my guess might be one of the dynasties that ruled England? (Just based on the possibility maybe the record for male-descent isn't that extensive and thus it's a family we don't think of as having ruled all that long.)

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 04, 2013, 06:36:16 PM
In regard to common ancestry and isolated populations, it is generally thought for sure that you only have to go back about 5,000 for a common ancestor to everyone and in fact there is strong evidence some historical figures alive in the past 2,000 years may literally be a common ancestor to huge portions of living humans today. The Genghis Khan effect can exaggerate this, as he had the pick of the healthiest women, had a huge harem and fathered many children even outside his harem. His offspring were all highly prized catches more or less, and had almost the best selection of women, huge harems, and tons of children even outside their core group of women. For this reason parts of central there is a substantial percentage of the total population who have Genghis Khan's Y chromosome.

Europeans started coming into contact with aborigines in Australia and Amazonian natives in the past 500 years. There are scattered tribes in Amazonia that had virtually or in fact no European contact at all until the latter part of the 20th century. But, there is virtually no evidence these tribes had no contact with anyone, they just had no contact with the West. In fact, many of the most isolated Amazonia tribes, numbering sometimes less than a few hundred, regularly interbred with other close by tribes. It kind of makes sense, practices like that would be important for social and vitality reasons. So it's in fact the case that when Spaniards started fathering children with South American natives over 500 years ago, their genetic influence went much deeper into Amazonia than Europeans themselves did for hundreds of years. This makes sense, natives have reasons to go back into the bush, Europeans not nearly so much, and people fuck each other constantly and have kids and spread genetic material from tribe to tribe.

If you do the math, going back enough generations you quickly end up with more mathematically possible ancestors than humans who lived at that point in time. What this means of course is all of us are descended from some individuals through multiple lines (pedigree collapse.) Thus with any species, go back far enough and you enter a situation where every person alive at that point in time falls into two categories. One is persons with no single living descendent today. The other are people whom everyone is descended from today. The point in human history in which all living persons either have no descendants or all living persons are common ancestors to all presently living humans is only estimated at furthest back to be 15,000 years ago and many think it is as recent as 5000 years ago.

As to the Australians I think you are looking at it backwards.  The way you phrased it, people disagreeing with you would have to prove a negative.  There is very little evidence that native Australians had much contact with anyone before the Europeans showed up.  There may have been some trade in the north, and with Maori but evidence is fairly weak.  Considering that the Australians lived in myrad bands and were probably the most primitive society on Earth at the time when they met Europeans indicates that what ever contact that some bands had with outsiders was minimal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

In the case of the Australian aborigines, my point was the moment Europeans started living on Australia their genes would have spread through those populations rapidly, even to aborigines who did not directly interact with Europeans. I wasn't saying prior to European exploration/colonization of Australia, that aborigines had outside contact. I don't know if they did or don't, I don't know much about that part of the world's history. I do know that in the few hundred years since contact more than enough generations have passed for the aborigines to share a common ancestor with everyone else, dating back no further than 5-15,000 years.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 04, 2013, 07:02:34 PM
The Frenchies? My guess is based on the fact that I don't believe France ever had a regnal Queen, and that IIRC all the French Kings til the Revolution were male-line descendants of Hugh Capet.

Bingo! 14 generations of direct male descent in the Capetian dynasty.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2013, 07:23:32 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 04, 2013, 07:02:34 PM

Bingo! 14 generations of direct male descent in the Capetian dynasty.
How ironic it had to end with decapetation.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 04, 2013, 07:15:10 PM
In the case of the Australian aborigines, my point was the moment Europeans started living on Australia their genes would have spread through those populations rapidly, even to aborigines who did not directly interact with Europeans. I wasn't saying prior to European exploration/colonization of Australia, that aborigines had outside contact. I don't know if they did or don't, I don't know much about that part of the world's history. I do know that in the few hundred years since contact more than enough generations have passed for the aborigines to share a common ancestor with everyone else, dating back no further than 5-15,000 years.
I think there's some speculation that the Australian Aborigines had sporadic contact with the Chinese as well as some of the Indonesian peoples.  There's some connection between sea snails, the Chinese, and the Aborigines.  That crazy dude mentioned this in his 1421 book about Zheng He but I've seen it mentioned by legitimate historians too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maximus

I don't think sea snails share mitochondrial DNA with the Chinese.