Oxnard
9 (24.3%)
Other
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on February 04, 2013, 04:25:17 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 04, 2013, 04:19:15 PM
Same with male ancestors. Neither applies to decendents. Women do not have unbroken female lines of decendents and males do not have unbroken male lines of decendents.

How is that possible?  If I have an unbroken line of male ancestors wouldn't my super dooper great grandpa has an unbroken line of male descendents?

You have an unbroken line of father-son links all the way up to y-chromosomal adam, it does not follow that you will have a son, or that if you have a son that he will have a son and so on.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on February 04, 2013, 03:48:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 04, 2013, 01:25:11 PM
This of course is fertile ground on which history buffs can argue.  There are lots of theories as to who really killed them based on who benefited most from their deaths. 

While his culpability in the death of his nephews is debatable, it has now been established that he has thousands in unpaid parking violations.

:lol:

PJL

Quote from: Viking on February 04, 2013, 04:14:12 PM

But, no, God did not expel eve and adam from the garden 6,000 years ago and if he did expel them at all he expelled her first and him 100,000 years later.

Curiously though Wikipedia states that the most recent common ancestor may have lived as little as 5000 years ago. 

crazy canuck

Here is a listing of the evidence which suggests it is him.

Quote•DNA from skeleton matches two of Richard III's maternal line relatives. Leicester genealogist verifies living relatives of Richard III's family
•Individual likely to have been killed by one of two fatal injuries to the skull – one possibly from a sword and one possibly from a halberd
•Ten wounds discovered on skeleton - Richard III killed by trauma to the back of the head. Part of the skull sliced off
•Radiocarbon dating reveals individual had a high protein diet – including significant amounts of seafood - meaning he was likely to be of high status
•Radiocarbon dating reveals individual died in the second half of the 15th or in the early 16th century – consistent with Richard's death in 1485
•Skeleton reveals severe scoliosis – onset believed to have occurred at the time of puberty
•Although around 5 feet 8 inches tall (1.72m), condition meant King Richard III would have stood significantly shorter and his right shoulder may have been higher than the left
•Feet were truncated at an unknown point in the past, but a significant time after the burial
•Corpse was subjected to 'humiliation injuries' - including a sword through the right buttock
•Individual had unusually slender, almost feminine, build for a man - in keeping with contemporaneous accounts
•No evidence for 'withered arm' - as portrayed by Shakespeare - found
•Possibility that the individual's hands were tied
•Grave was hastily dug, was not big enough and there was no shroud or coffin.

Viking

Quote from: PJL on February 04, 2013, 04:31:29 PM

But, no, God did not expel eve and adam from the garden 6,000 years ago and if he did expel them at all he expelled her first and him 100,000 years later.

Curiously though Wikipedia states that the most recent common ancestor may have lived as little as 5000 years ago.

Which is total BS since aborigines got themselves isolated in australia 40,000 years ago and the amerindians got themelves isolated 10,000 years ago. You sure it wasn't Conservapedia you were quoting?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on February 04, 2013, 04:27:22 PM
Same with male ancestors. Neither applies to decendents. Women do not have unbroken female lines of decendents and males do not have unbroken male lines of decendents.

How is that possible?  If I have an unbroken line of male ancestors wouldn't my super dooper great grandpa has an unbroken line of male descendents?

You have an unbroken line of father-son links all the way up to y-chromosomal adam, it does not follow that you will have a son, or that if you have a son that he will have a son and so on.

Yeah quick visualization - I'm unlikely to have children (much less a son) but there is the possibility that one of my sisters could have a son.  My father will immediately have a broken chain of male descendants as the next born male will only come through a female line.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PJL

Quote from: Viking on February 04, 2013, 04:37:24 PM
Quote from: PJL on February 04, 2013, 04:31:29 PM

Which is total BS since aborigines got themselves isolated in australia 40,000 years ago and the amerindians got themelves isolated 10,000 years ago. You sure it wasn't Conservapedia you were quoting?

Apparently computer modelling even with conservative criteria for for contact between different cultures give a MRCA living around 5000BC.

BTW, the Native American, Polynesians etc were isolated only up to 500 years or so. Plenty of time for mixed ethnic contact since then. Even in Britain it is reckoned that 80% of the population has some royal ancestry (legitimate or otherwise) and that only after a few hundred years. True they may still be completely isolated communities in Amazonia and elsewhere, but that's decreasing by the year.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2013, 04:49:04 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 04, 2013, 04:27:22 PM

Yeah quick visualization - I'm unlikely to have children (much less a son) but there is the possibility that one of my sisters could have a son.  My father will immediately have a broken chain of male descendants as the next born male will only come through a female line.

Everyone by definition has an unbroken male and female line up.  There is no such guarantee going down however.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Pop quiz: which royal family holds the record for generations of direct male descent?

Extra credit: how many generations?

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2013, 05:01:15 PM
Pop quiz: which royal family holds the record for generations of direct male descent?

Oldenburgs ~30 generations?

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2013, 05:01:15 PM

Japanese royal family.

No idea how many generations.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2013, 05:46:17 PM
Japanese royal family.

No idea how many generations.

Nope.  That would have been my guess too.