9 (24.3%)
Other
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Drakken

Quote from: Viking on February 04, 2013, 11:15:07 AM
Quote from: Drakken on February 04, 2013, 11:11:18 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 04, 2013, 10:30:31 AM
BBC reports he's to be reburied in Leicester cathedral, shows how little I know, though I guess one could work out the city probably had a cathedral what with it being a city.

I'm sympathetic to Shelf's idea of giving his re-internment some state pomp and ceremony, though not at York, pretty cool if the Queen attended the burial of one of her predecessors.

That will not happen, as Richard III is officially an usurper, and Henry VII was the rightful king even Bosworth Fields. To you and I we know it isn't true (wink, wink; nudge, nudge), but it is the Tudor official line. To give him pump and funeral would basically attack the legitimacy of the Windsor family as it descends from the Plantagenets only from the back door (by the marriage of Catherine to Owen Tudor, and Henry VII's marriage to Elizabeth of York).

From the official royal family website; the entry for King Richard III. So, yeah, if the present monarch thinks he was legitimate he was legitimate.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HistoryoftheMonarchy/KingsandQueensofEngland/TheYorkists/RichardIII.aspx

Right there on the first paragraph:

QuoteRichard III usurped the throne from the young Edward V, who disappeared with his younger brother while under their ambitious uncle's supposed protection.

Viking

Quote from: Drakken on February 04, 2013, 11:17:08 AM

Right there on the first paragraph:

QuoteRichard III usurped the throne from the young Edward V, who disappeared with his younger brother while under their ambitious uncle's supposed protection.

Richard III by the grace of god and by right of conquest king of England and France.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

I'll give them 10 pounds for the corpse.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Drakken

Quote from: Viking on February 04, 2013, 11:19:57 AM
Richard III by the grace of god and by right of conquest king of England and France.

Yeah, except that Henry Tudor's retconned it into him being the rightful King, and Richard an usurper and a childkiller.

The difference between Henry IV and Richard III is that he lost, while Henry Bolingbroke won and died - agonizingly painfully - in his bed.

grumbler

Quote from: Drakken on February 04, 2013, 11:23:57 AM
Quote from: Viking on February 04, 2013, 11:19:57 AM

Yeah, except that Henry Tudor's retconned it into him being the rightful King, and Richard an usurper and a childkiller.

Henry Tudor claimed the crown by right of conquest, not inheritance, as I recall.  Richard III could be the rightful king and still allow Henry VII to be the rightful king, also.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Gups

Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2013, 11:33:50 AM
Richard III could be the rightful king and still allow Henry VII to be the rightful king, also.

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for either of 'em.

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on February 04, 2013, 11:58:09 AM

Not vote York or Tudor/Lancastrian but vote for some third party?  Yeah go ahead throw your vote away.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on February 04, 2013, 12:30:24 PM
Quote from: Gups on February 04, 2013, 11:58:09 AM

Not vote York or Tudor/Lancastrian but vote for some third party?  Yeah go ahead throw your vote away.

All good englishmen support Count Nader de Paulville.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on February 04, 2013, 12:53:48 PM
What were his stats?

Not very good, his traits (Libertarian - 5 stewardship, Crackpot - 5 diplomacy, Idealist - 5 intrigue, Pacifist - 5 Military) are quite detrimental.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on February 04, 2013, 09:23:34 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 04, 2013, 09:21:15 AM
Quote from: merithyn on February 04, 2013, 09:14:36 AM
I was reading recently that there's a belief that Richard III didn't kill his nephews. If he didn't, what the hell happened to them? :unsure:
They think Henry did it and then blamed Richard.

This doesn't make sense to me though, because if they were alive, why wouldn't Richard have proved it by showing them off to silence the rumors?

Exactly. Which explains my confusion. Apparently, there is some evidence that the two boys were alive when Richard III was killed, and that they were removed from the Tower to protect them from Henry. That seems ridiculously far-fetched.

Only if one assumes everything said about Richard by the Tudors is accurate - which itself seems a tad far fetched.

This of course is fertile ground on which history buffs can argue.  There are lots of theories as to who really killed them based on who benefited most from their deaths. 

As to the poll question - I think he should be buried in York with a suitable ceremony.  There is a very strong and active Richard III society there and it would probably mean most to them.

btw, if you are insterested in the more positive view of Richard you might want to visit their website.

Malthus

Didn't see this posted earlier in the thread - DNA evidence allegedly proves the skeleton they found is in fact Richard III.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/03/world/europe/richard-iii-search-announcement/index.html?iid=article_sidebar
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on February 04, 2013, 02:40:35 PM
Didn't see this posted earlier in the thread - DNA evidence allegedly proves the skeleton they found is in fact Richard III.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/03/world/europe/richard-iii-search-announcement/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

"Prove" in this case seems awfully strong. All DNA tests can show is that the guy was in Richard III's extended family. That would probably apply to a healthy portion of the nobility of the time.

All the evidence together makes a very strong case though.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on February 04, 2013, 03:00:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 04, 2013, 02:40:35 PM

"Prove" in this case seems awfully strong. All DNA tests can show is that the guy was in Richard III's extended family. That would probably apply to a healthy portion of the nobility of the time.

All the evidence together makes a very strong case though.

They had the other evidence already - they were waiting on the DNA testing. But yeah, while DNA alone would not "prove" it, the article claims that the archaeologists are now convinced it is indeed him, based on the evidence which includes the DNA testing. Now is the winter of our discontent Made glorious summer by this sun of York. Finally!  :D

Interestingly, turns out he was indeed 'deformed'.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius