Referring to my boyfriend to people who do not know I am gay

Started by Martinus, January 23, 2013, 08:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 25, 2013, 07:06:43 AM
I never mention girls I know in that way to people who aren't in that part of my life (parents, work people, etc...)

I just expect them to a keep my room for me without touching it...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Also, based on how you post it's patently obvious you're massively gay. I doubt a single person in your office is unaware of you perversion.

Martinus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 25, 2013, 07:14:23 AM
Also, based on how you post it's patently obvious you're massively gay. I doubt a single person in your office is unaware of you perversion.

Wrong. My boss told me that before I was outed to her, she never even suspected I might be gay.

Martinus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 25, 2013, 07:13:27 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2013, 12:02:29 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2013, 11:58:59 AM
Never once heard a straight person refer to their fuck friend as a partner.

Yeah maybe it is just here.  I get this all the time.  I was recently at a funeral recently where the widow was even referred to as the man's 'partner for over 60 years' keep in mind they had been married most of this time.

It's not common around here, but it is something I've seen when you're talking about a couple in a very long term relationship who have basically combined houses, to some degree finances, maybe even have a kid together etc. Basically people who for all purposes other than the paperwork are married, but for various reasons have not legally married. The one couple I can think of that both uses the term and actually explained themselves, the woman said calling her male SO her "boyfriend" made it seem like their relationship was less serious than it was, since they've lived together over 10 years and have a child together, but she even says that partner is a iffy word for this scenario and that really there isn't a "normal" term for two heterosexuals who have decided to be married-in-all-but-name.

I'd guess Austin, being the hippy hell hole it is, probably has a lot more people around than here that for various hippie liberal reasons have chosen to be in long term heterosexual unions without marrying, as some sort of atheist stick-it-to-the-man mentality or something.

My friend, who is a litigation lawyer, revels in introducing her boyfriend in a situation you describe (they have two kids together) as her "concubine"*, which is the police-report-style legal term for un unmarried "spouse".

*Not sure if in English this can only denote a woman or can also mean a man? In Polish we have the word "konkubina" to mean a female concubine and "konkubent" to mean a female concubine.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 25, 2013, 07:13:27 AM
I'd guess Austin, being the hippy hell hole it is

:yeah:

It gives it character :P

Quoteprobably has a lot more people around than here that for various hippie liberal reasons have chosen to be in long term heterosexual unions without marrying, as some sort of atheist stick-it-to-the-man mentality or something.

Um ok they are Texas hippies not freaking California hippies.  Sticking-it-to-the-man takes too much energy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2013, 07:14:02 AM
I never mention girls I know in that way to people who aren't in that part of my life (parents, work people, etc...)

:unsure:? :huh:
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 25, 2013, 08:29:03 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2013, 07:14:02 AM

:unsure:? :huh:

You're the one who whined about your mother doing stuff to "your room". Seems a bit odd then that they should keep a shrine to you but you wouldn't ever mention someone you're dating.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Like I've mentioned before, Tyr doesn't see himself has an adult yet. It's ever more apparent with that last comment.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2013, 08:42:51 AM

You're the one who whined about your mother doing stuff to "your room". Seems a bit odd then that they should keep a shrine to you but you wouldn't ever mention someone you're dating.
Its not a shrine to me. Its my room. Thats what it is. We dont have the culture of turning rooms into gyms and all that. My parents certainly have no such needs- indeed I  offered them to move their computer into my room but they said no.
But....to come back to this thread rather than December....Yeah, I'm weird with relationships and my parents, was sort of still in the straight closet before (think they heavily suspected gayness at one point) but from comments she made over new year I think they have the opposite impression of me now. Which is amusing.
Still though, I won't be telling my parents about any girlfriends until its super serious. The cusp of moving in. Or it's already happened. Or realistically only if I get a girl pregnant. Even then I'd feel weird about it. Oh well.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

And on the opposite end of that, my son and I just had a conversation about whether or not he's having sex with his girlfriend yet, if he's using protection, and to make sure that he gets a very clearly stated yes.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on January 25, 2013, 09:31:26 AM
And on the opposite end of that, my son and I just had a conversation about whether or not he's having sex with his girlfriend yet, if he's using protection, and to make sure that he gets a very clearly stated yes.

Which one?  I had no problems having these sorts of conversations with my parents once I was an adult.  At that point my parents sort of became my partners in life rather than authority figures.  But it sort of helps we live in the same town and generally get together once a week or so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2013, 12:02:29 PM
Yeah maybe it is just here.  I get this all the time.  I was recently at a funeral recently where the widow was even referred to as the man's 'partner for over 60 years' keep in mind they had been married most of this time.
I've heard it a few times. Mostly older people who aren't married. I think they feel girlfriend/boyfriend's a bit young sounding. But I always mistakenly assume they're gay.
Let's bomb Russia!