Referring to my boyfriend to people who do not know I am gay

Started by Martinus, January 23, 2013, 08:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2013, 11:45:33 AM
Except that it is pretty much accepted here that if someone says their partner, they are talking about a same-sex one.  That's actually why my mother doesn't use the term in reference to her boyfriend of 12 years.

I cannot tell you how many times I have had people refer to their 'partner' only to have it be a heterosexual relationship.  But maybe that is just what people do in hippy Austin where they want to avoid gendered titles or whatever.  'A girlfriend?!  HOW OPPRESSIVE!!111'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Never once heard a straight person refer to their fuck friend as a partner.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2013, 11:58:59 AM

Yeah maybe it is just here.  I get this all the time.  I was recently at a funeral recently where the widow was even referred to as the man's 'partner for over 60 years' keep in mind they had been married most of this time. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Do they refer to them as a "fuck friend" then? :P

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2013, 11:57:35 AM
Except that it is pretty much accepted here that if someone says their partner, they are talking about a same-sex one.  That's actually why my mother doesn't use the term in reference to her boyfriend of 12 years.

I cannot tell you how many times I have had people refer to their 'partner' only to have it be a heterosexual relationship.  But maybe that is just what people do in hippy Austin where they want to avoid gendered titles or whatever.  'A girlfriend?!  HOW OPPRESSIVE!!111'

I'd say must just be Austin.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

I do sometimes, but I think it sounds strange/like I'm a woofter. Wife is just factually inaccurate and girlfriend doesn't seem right for a relationship of nearly 20 years. "The missus" or "other half" is used more often

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2013, 11:57:35 AM

Same around here. Usually they're people in long-term, non-marital relationships, though I have occassionally heard married people refer to one another that way, too.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on January 23, 2013, 12:03:30 PM

Do they refer to them as a "fuck friend" then? :P
Probably not at the funeral.

sbr

Malthus

Use of the term "partner" can lead to lots of amusing misunderstandings among lawyers.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on January 23, 2013, 12:10:25 PM
Introduce them as your Lover.

Or Dave.  Or "Wiktor".  Or whatever the fuck the name is.
Let other people figure it out, or come to conclusions on their own.

CountDeMoney

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on January 23, 2013, 12:12:00 PM
Use of the term "partner" can lead to lots of amusing misunderstandings among lawyers.  :P

One of my partners (male) in my department thinks it is amusing to always introduce another partner (female) from the same department as "this is my partner, XYZ". Hilarity ensues.

Lawyers are easily amused I guess.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on January 23, 2013, 12:08:41 PM
girlfriend doesn't seem right for a relationship of nearly 20 years.

Girlfriend seems the lesser of two evils in that case.  Partner just sounds so clunky and stilted.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2013, 12:15:07 PM
Quote from: Gups on January 23, 2013, 12:08:41 PM
girlfriend doesn't seem right for a relationship of nearly 20 years.

Girlfriend seems the lesser of two evils in that case.  Partner just sounds so clunky and stilted.

I like it. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...