Referring to my boyfriend to people who do not know I am gay

Started by Martinus, January 23, 2013, 08:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 23, 2013, 09:28:45 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 23, 2013, 08:38:31 AM
Here's an easy enough safety tip:  don't talk about shit at work that isn't about fucking work.
Wow you must have been a hoot to work with.

Sports, movies, music, pop culture, that's all fine to chat about.  But co-workers' personal lives, really don't give a fuck.  I got my own problems.

Martinus

Well, I am not really even talking about personal life details. It's more along the lines of someone at work saying that they know X, and it happens to be someone that my boyfriend also knows, and things like that.

Barrister

Fuck y'all, I'm going to continue talking about my kids at work.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on January 23, 2013, 09:28:45 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 23, 2013, 08:38:31 AM
Here's an easy enough safety tip:  don't talk about shit at work that isn't about fucking work.
Wow you must have been a hoot to work with.

newsflash: non-friends aren't interested in what you are saying. They are just waiting for their turn to speak. It's like a ritual. An annoying one.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on January 23, 2013, 10:13:56 AM
Well, I am not really even talking about personal life details. It's more along the lines of someone at work saying that they know X, and it happens to be someone that my boyfriend also knows, and things like that.

"well I heard from a friend"

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on January 23, 2013, 10:21:53 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 23, 2013, 10:13:56 AM

"well I heard from a friend"

But I don't want to do so, as per my original post - referring to him as a friend makes me feel like a fraud.

Plus, Polish is again a bit different from English in this respect, in that we have two words that can be translated as a "friend" - one that means something along the lines of an "aquitance"/"colleague" (which is how I don't want to refer to my boyfriend) and the other which means "very close friend" and pretty much when used by a guy almost always refers to his same sex partner. :P

Faeelin

If you think not calling him your boyfriend is being fraudulent, then man the fuck up and call him your boyfriend.

Richard Hakluyt

dps

Refer to him as your brother, that way people who know you're in a sexual relationship with him but don't know that you're an only child can be really squicked.

frunk

It sounds like you want to basically say that he's your boyfriend, while being subtle and cool about it so that if someone isn't paying attention they won't realize it.  Unfortunately Polish doesn't support this option.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on January 23, 2013, 08:25:10 AM

Assuming I would not want to come out to them there and then, how should I refer to him? Calling him a "friend" makes me feel like I'm a deceitful person (not to mention, calling him a "girlfriend"), but as Polish language is very gender-specific, there is really no option to call him a gender-neutral "significant other", the way you can in English.

Refer to as "Your other half". Why are you scared to come out?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

English is much easier in this regard, as only some of your nouns (and none of your non-nouns) have masculine and feminine forms.

In Polish the sentence "my partner was" would use a different form of the word "my" "partner" and "was", depending on the gender of the partner.

garbon

Except that it is pretty much accepted here that if someone says their partner, they are talking about a same-sex one.  That's actually why my mother doesn't use the term in reference to her boyfriend of 12 years.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on January 23, 2013, 11:43:23 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 23, 2013, 08:25:10 AM

Assuming I would not want to come out to them there and then, how should I refer to him? Calling him a "friend" makes me feel like I'm a deceitful person (not to mention, calling him a "girlfriend"), but as Polish language is very gender-specific, there is really no option to call him a gender-neutral "significant other", the way you can in English.

Refer to as "Your other half". Why are you scared to come out?

Well, it's not really about being scared to come out as it is about not wanting to sour some of my office relationships, especially with certain guys, by making them uncomfortable - I have rather good relations with several guys at my work, but I am afraid they would become more reserved if they knew I admitted expressly to them that I was gay (for example, my office mate who is younger than me and, admittedly, quite hot). It is also not that they are necessarily homophobic but noone is out to everyone at my work so I don't want to be the odd one out.

And obviously, it's not the case of "if they are uncomfortable with you being gay, you shouldn't be friends in the first place", as work relationships do not really work like that, as they are not entirely voluntary.

Edit: Fixed one line in my post to be more precise what I mean.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2013, 11:45:33 AM
Except that it is pretty much accepted here that if someone says their partner, they are talking about a same-sex one.  That's actually why my mother doesn't use the term in reference to her boyfriend of 12 years.

Pretty much, but you can at least keep it formally neutral - in Polish this is impossible without being a word contortionist.