News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should Meri report her professor?

Started by merithyn, January 17, 2013, 05:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well? Should she?

Absolutely! Teaching manners to cads is far more important than her potential career.
No way! Keeping your head down and your nose clean is the way to go through life!
Don't know what you're talking about and/or frankly don't care.
Wheee! A poll!!

Ed Anger

My seal of approval is more valuable.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2013, 07:54:21 AM
Brazen's advice is sensible but only if the situation repeats itself. If it was just a one-time awkward first lesson/break-the-ice type of situation, then even approaching the professor about it would be a great exaggeration that would simply reinforce his preconceived notion that women are over-sensitive crazies.

Frankly who cares if it reinforces his preconcieved notions.  I just don't want my name associated with any negative feelings when it comes to the dude grading my papers.  But basically I agree.  Give this guy a pass this one time, if he keeps doing it then you may need to very tactfully bring it up to him in private.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2013, 09:24:47 AM

Frankly who cares if it reinforces his preconcieved notions.  I just don't want my name associated with any negative feelings when it comes to the dude grading my papers.  But basically I agree.  Give this guy a pass this one time, if he keeps doing it then you may need to very tactfully bring it up to him in private.

Well said, Valmy. I haven't decided what I'll do yet. I may approach him sooner rather than later, or I may approach him only if there's a repeat performance.

I'm leaning toward approaching him in his office before the next class and simply saying that while I appreciate his desire to be inclusive, I would rather he stopped referring to the fact that I'm a woman. My goal is to learn the material, do my work well, and move on to the next level with as little fuss and muss as possible, and continuing to bring up the (often incorrect) stereotypes of men and womn make that difficult. Then I'll ask him to explain some random thing in the text book, smile, and tell him that I'll see him in class.

It's the approach that I've been favoring almost since day-one, the ridiculous diatribes from others here notwithstanding. Given my experiences in the past regarding socially awkward people, I considered a note rather than face-to-face since that seemed to make them more comfortable. However, context and subtle expressions are often lost with the written word, and I don't wish to antagonize the guy (see Valmy's post above).
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PDH

You are an adult who is mature - much more so than the kids in the class.  The professor is also nominally an adult.  Speak to him at office hours like an adult, while realizing he is probably also a bit of a wonk too.  Continue after this, if the discussion is positive to that point (if not, you are on your own), with what you want to get out of the class and where you are heading with such course work.

He will probably be weirded out that someone is coming to his office hours at all, this will give you the decisive octagon advantage.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on January 18, 2013, 09:47:05 AM
You are an adult who is mature - much more so than the kids in the class.  The professor is also nominally an adult.  Speak to him at office hours like an adult, while realizing he is probably also a bit of a wonk too.  Continue after this, if the discussion is positive to that point (if not, you are on your own), with what you want to get out of the class and where you are heading with such course work.

He will probably be weirded out that someone is coming to his office hours at all, this will give you the decisive octagon advantage.

So.. pretty much what I said I was leaning toward doing. Got it. Thanks for reinforcing that decision, as I was honestly waiting to hear from you. :hug:

Valmy

:lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Office hours seemed strange. They were always like come on down whenever you feel like - and it was like yeah but what am I going to say?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on January 18, 2013, 09:59:59 AM

Office hours seemed strange. They were always like come on down whenever you feel like - and it was like yeah but what am I going to say?

They're meant for people who are having problems with the work or other concerns about the class. In other words, for situations like this.

Eddie Teach

And for people who want to earn a little extra credit. :whistle:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 18, 2013, 10:13:07 AM

They're meant for people who are having problems with the work or other concerns about the class. In other words, for situations like this.

I used them once or twice for that (in CS no less) but I really always thought they'd be good for networking with faculty. Unfortunately, I had nothing to say for myself. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

The insularity of the professor's life are both a comfort to those who don't adjust well and a reinforcement to those tendencies to be weird.  It happens in all the areas, and while not every professor is weird, a good many are and some are really weird.  Mostly they mean no harm, they just have no clue.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Yeah, that was how I viewed it up until my senior year (and a half).  The ones in my class that were always meeting with the professor seemed like nerds or suckups or whatever.  But I realized late in the game the value of taking advantage of office hours, if for no other reason to establish a positive rapport with the prof. 

Once I started making use of their office hours, what I'd often do is meet with them the first week or two of the term and tell them what I wanted to get from the class, both in terms of what I was specifically interested to learn about and my goal in terms of final grade.  Not necessarily asking for better grades per se, but sort of giving them a heads up that I'd be "bugging" them from time to time to make sure I was on the right track and to explore any options for extra credit.  I wouldn't over-do it, but I'd try to meet with them maybe 4 or more times throughout the semester.

They always seemed to react positively to that.  Just wish I had started doing it sooner-- my GPA definitely would've benefited from it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2013, 11:23:45 AM
  Not necessarily asking for better grades per se, but sort of giving them a heads up that I'd be "bugging" them from time to time to make sure I was on the right track and to explore any options for extra credit.

:perv: ?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2013, 11:28:46 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2013, 11:23:45 AM
  Not necessarily asking for better grades per se, but sort of giving them a heads up that I'd be "bugging" them from time to time to make sure I was on the right track and to explore any options for extra credit.

:perv: ?

I once had an old lady Spanish professor perv on me during her office hours.  Weird experience.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on January 18, 2013, 11:05:33 AM
The insularity of the professor's life are both a comfort to those who don't adjust well and a reinforcement to those tendencies to be weird.  It happens in all the areas, and while not every professor is weird, a good many are and some are really weird.  Mostly they mean no harm, they just have no clue.

That's pretty much what I imagine is the situation here.