The 2013 NFL Playoffs? PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS??? Morathread

Started by CountDeMoney, January 02, 2013, 08:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2013, 11:48:52 PM
After free agency hits, the Ravens will be dismantled faster than post-war Germany.

Yeah?  Who is due for Free Agency?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2013, 11:53:08 PM
After free agency hits, the Ravens will be dismantled faster than post-war Germany.

They are gonna be way over the salary cap, IIRC. Adam Schefter reported that they would likely just cut Anquan Bolden for cap reasons in the off season and I don't think that buys them enough space alone.

Especially after Flacco pounds on the owner's desk and demands his 100 million.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on February 03, 2013, 11:51:20 PM
The ravens were pretty young in 2000 weren't they?

At some of the skill positions yeah, but impact guys like Siragusa, Rob Burnett, McCreary, Rod Woodson, Shannon Sharpe, etc., were pretty long in the tooth by then, and free agency that comes from winning a Super Bowl took a lot of role players and young impact players.  Can't keep 'em all.

Valmy

I hope something can be done.  I don't want Tucker to share the same sad fate of Phil Dawson  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on February 03, 2013, 11:22:53 PM
Thought Boldin should have been MVP though. Clutch catch after clutch catch when Baltimore had to have a first down.
I wasn't sure.  Boldin's six catches and hundred yards were as clutch as you get, but Jacoby Jones had two big flashy plays too.  I think that the starting QB is the default MVP choice, and Joe definitely deserves credit for a great passing game against a strong D.  I think the fact that he had one of the best statistical postseasons in NFL history factored in as well.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

I would invite any of those "momentum is not a real thing" people to re-watch that game.  It might not be some physical force that knocks the ball out of someone's hand or lets a player hold onto a ball with their fingertips, but it is very much a real thing.

EDIT:  This isn't something I have seen here necessarily, just a general thought.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2013, 11:53:08 PM

QuoteJoe Flacco    QB    UFA
Ed Reed    S    UFA
Anthony Allen    RB    ERFA
Billy Bajema    TE    UFA    
Damien Berry    RB    ERFA
Ricky Brown    LB    UFA    
Omar Brown    CB    ERFA
Josh Bynes    LB    ERFA
Sean Considine    S    UFA    
Emanuel Cook    CB    RFA    
Morgan Cox    C    RFA    
Ed Dickson    TE    RFA    
Dannell Ellerbe    LB    UFA    
Bryan Hall    DE    ERFA    
Adrian Hamilton    DE    ERFA    
Ramon Harewood    T    UFA
James Ihedigbo    CB    UFA    
Chris Johnson    CB    UFA
Arthur Jones    DE    RFA    
Maake Kemoeatu    DT    
Paul Kruger    LB    UFA    
Anthony Levine    S    ERFA
Ryan McBean    DE    UFA    
Albert McClellan    LB    
Bryant McKinnie    T    
Dennis Pitta    TE    RFA    
Bobby Rainey    RB    ERFA
David Reed    WR    RFA    
LaQuan Williams    WR    
Cary Williams    CB    UFA

A lot of starters in that list.

Neil

No shit.  Kruger is 100% gone.  Reed would have to take a hometown discount.  Dickson and Pitta are up.  Ellerbe is up.  Arthur Jones is up.  Boldin and Jones are possible cap casualties (and losing Boldin would HURT).  Birk is retiring.  And Flacco needs to get paid.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on February 04, 2013, 12:05:15 AM
I would invite any of those "momentum is not a real thing" people to re-watch that game.  It might not be some physical force that knocks the ball out of someone's hand or lets a player hold onto a ball with their fingertips, but it is very much a real thing.

EDIT:  This isn't something I have seen here necessarily, just a general thought.

Without a doubt, and I believe momentum plays a bigger part in football (moreso in the college game) than any other sport, save perhaps basketball.  It is a tangible aspect of the game, not just physically, but mentally.

CountDeMoney

Neil, I could honestly see the Ravens trading out of the 1st round  (granted, it's the last pick, but there's still a substantial contract difference between 1-32 and 2-1) just to save themselves the signing bonus.

They paid Ray Rice big time last year, Ngata the year before, and Suggs the year before that.  Ozzie's going to have some magic to do.  They'll be competitive, but I expect it to be a major rebuilding operation the next two seasons.

Just like in 2000, you'll see people overpay for Ravens free agents they won't be able to match, just like they did for Jamie Sharper, Kim Herring, Priest Holmes and Duane Starks.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2013, 12:14:50 AM
Just like in 2000, you'll see people overpay for Ravens free agents they won't be able to match, just like they did for Jamie Sharper, Kim Herring, Priest Holmes and Duane Starks.

No way the Chiefs overpaid for Priest Holmes. 

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 04, 2013, 12:17:45 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2013, 12:14:50 AM

No way the Chiefs overpaid for Priest Holmes.

I was more emphasizing the "they" won't be able to match" part, but yeah, he had a hell of a career.  Shame it was in Kansas City.  Now he's just a trivia game answer.

Neil

Yeah, they're absolutely up against it with the cap, and there's a few of those guys who are going to be critical players in the years ahead (abviously Flacco, but Omar Brown and James Ihedigbo are going to be good somewhere).  Every TE on the roster is up, and Pitta's play has been strong enough that he might see some real offers.  Ellerbe might be irreplaceable, and guys like Bynes, Jones and McLellan would be really nice to keep.  And you can't get rid of Morgan Cox.  I consider Cary Williams and Kruger to be already gone.

CountDeMoney

I think I'll go log onto World of Tanks now, and wait for Katmai to TK me.