Will a Horrific Bus Gang-Rape in Delhi Finally Change India's Culture of Rape?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2012, 01:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I'd like to add that the rapists were immigrants so more reflective of Portuguese than American cultural attitudes. (I wikid).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 31, 2012, 10:05:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 31, 2012, 09:39:34 AM
I've no idea why you need to be an asshole and snarkily tell us that things aren't going change quick. Way to point out the obvious. :rolleyes:

Indian culture is a filthy, useless, misogynist culture, just like the rest of that side of the planet, from the Islamotards to the Chinese. 
As citizens of western liberal democracies borne of the Age of Reason, we can bust on it all we want.

+1 good sir, I remember a time when I rarely agreed with Seedy but on the core issues I think we've always seen eye to eye. A part of being civilized is recognizing the stupidity of moral relativism and embracing the truth that there are barbarous societies that should be both derided and condemned.

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

I wonder how far removed Indian mores on rape are from western mores. It's been considered one of the worst crimes a man can commit since Lucretia. I don't see that in India, going by some of the stuff I have read in the last few days.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Phillip V

New Delhi to Recruit More Women Police

'India's Home Ministry plans to recruit 2,500 female police personnel in New Delhi to enhance the security of women after the rape and killing of a 23-year-old student in the nation's capital.

New recruits will be deployed to ensure that every police station in the city has at least two senior female officers and 10 other female officers, Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, who is under pressure to act following massive protests over the student's death, said on Friday. He didn't specify when the recruitment would take place.

The student's death on Saturday prompted calls from the public for tough laws to punish rapists and better policing. Women's groups say more women police are needed to handle rape complaints. Policemen often try to dissuade victims from registering cases, steering them to marry their assailant, they say.

Women accounted for 5,180, or about 8%, of New Delhi's 67,000 police personnel as of the end of 2011.'

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323374504578221381250081390.html

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Phillip V on January 04, 2013, 11:13:15 AM
Policemen often try to dissuade victims from registering cases, steering them to marry their assailant, they say.

How romantic.  :lol:

Phillip V

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2013, 11:39:15 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on January 04, 2013, 11:13:15 AM
Policemen often try to dissuade victims from registering cases, steering them to marry their assailant, they say.

How romantic.  :lol:

Instead of warrants and handcuffs, they employ flowers and boxes of chocolates?   ;)

Must be tough in gang-rape cases. Who gets to be the Groom, and who merely the Best Man?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

QuoteBikram Singh Brahma suspended by Congress over Assam 'sex attack'

The ruling Congress party in India's Assam state has suspended a politician accused of rape after he was set upon and beaten by crowds in a village.

Bikram Singh Brahma was detained on Thursday after the victim's husband reported the alleged rape.

National TV showed footage of the politician being stripped of his shirt and slapped by women.

Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said his action was "condemnable" and he should be punished.

Pressure has grown for tougher action on rape since a woman was attacked in Delhi on 16 December and later died.

Five men have been charged with the kidnap, gang-rape and murder of the 23-year-old, whose name has not been released.

The government has set up a committee under a retired Supreme Court judge to recommend changes to the law on rape.

Mr Brahma was beaten and accused by villagers in Chirang district, on the border with Bhutan.

"It is most condemnable. It is a most heinous crime. He should be punished... Police have already arrested him. The case should be disposed of at the earliest," CNN-IBN news channel quoted Mr Gogoi as saying.

Police said a man reported that his wife had been raped during the night by Mr Brahma.

The politician allegedly entered the woman's house and raped her at about 02:00 (20:30 GMT Wednesday), according to a police official.

Hearing screams, villagers ran to the house and captured the man, the official told Associated Press news agency.

Indian television channels broadcast footage of Mr Brahma surrounded by men and women in a street in daylight.

Some men kick and beat him with what appears to be a stick, before others restrain them. Then women move in, tearing off his shirt and slapping him in the face and on his arms.

Police arrived in the village at midday but the people holding Mr Brahma initially refused to hand him over, according to the Times of India newspaper.

They demanded officers record him confessing to the rape before he was taken away.

Police told the paper they had taken him into custody but had not arrested him, pending the registration of the case.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Yeah, I'm kind of done with this thread. Can't do the jokes about rape.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on January 04, 2013, 04:44:12 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of done with this thread. Can't do the jokes about rape.

Wait we are condemning the entire thread just because Malthus is a degenerate?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."