Will a Horrific Bus Gang-Rape in Delhi Finally Change India's Culture of Rape?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2012, 01:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Rape is about assertion of power - however the receiving end needs to be cognizant of that - not clinically dead gods below! :glare:

Poor girl  :(

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Habbaku

Quote from: Grallon on December 28, 2012, 11:19:46 AM
Rape is about assertion of power - however the receiving end needs to be cognizant of that - not clinically dead gods below!

wat
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

merithyn

If she survives, it will truly be a miracle.

As for their measures to help make women safer.... yeah... way too little.

QuoteA female student gang-raped on a bus in India's capital Delhi has "taken a turn for the worse" at a Singapore hospital, doctors say.

The 23-year-old arrived in Singapore on Thursday after undergoing three operations in a Delhi hospital.

"Her vital signs are deteriorating with signs of severe organ failure," hospital official Kelvin Loh said.

The attack earlier this month triggered violent public protests in India that left one police officer dead.

Six men have been arrested and two police officers have been suspended following the 16 December attack.

Doctors had earlier described the woman as "fighting for her life".

Family informed

Mr Loh said in a statement that the hospital had put her on "maximum artificial ventilation support, optimal antibiotic doses as well as stimulants which maximise her body's capability to fight infections".

"Her family members have been informed that her condition has deteriorated and they are currently by her side to encourage and comfort her," he said.

"The High Commission of India is with her and her family at this critical time. Our medical team continues to provide all possible treatment and care," Mr Loh added.

On arrival at the hospital in Singapore, doctors said that as well as a "prior cardiac arrest, she also had infection of her lungs and abdomen, as well as significant brain injury".

The case has provoked protests across India in recent days The government has tried to halt rising public anger by announcing a series of measures intended to make Delhi safer for women.

These include more police night patrols, checks on bus drivers and their assistants, and the banning of buses with tinted windows or curtains.

The government has also said that it will post the photos, names and addresses of convicted rapists on official websites to shame them.

The victim and her friend had been to see a film when they boarded the bus in the Munirka area, intending to travel to Dwarka in south-west Delhi.

Police said she was raped for nearly an hour, and both she and her companion were beaten with iron bars and thrown out of the moving bus into a Delhi street.

India's Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said in a statement on Thursday that the government had decided to send the victim overseas on the recommendation of her doctors.

"Despite the best efforts of our doctors, the victim continues to be critical and her fluctuating health remains a big cause of concern to all of us," he said.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: Grallon on December 28, 2012, 11:19:46 AM
Rape is about assertion of power - however the receiving end needs to be cognizant of that - not clinically dead gods below! :glare:

Poor girl  :(

G.
:huh: When was the last time you had your brain checked for damage?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on December 28, 2012, 12:27:49 PM
wat

I think he's saying that rape is more fulfilling and enjoyable for the rapist if the victim is conscious and aware they were raped.

Habbaku

Do you think Grallon has a lot of experience as a rapist or that he's just taking a stab at it?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

I strongly disagree with the "rape = power imbalance" theory, but I have heard it from sources more reputable than grallon as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2012, 12:37:03 PM
I think he's saying that rape is more fulfilling and enjoyable for the rapist if the victim is conscious and aware they were raped.

Unconscious, unaware victims can't pick you out of a lineup though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on December 28, 2012, 12:44:25 PM
I strongly disagree with the "rape = power imbalance" theory, but I have heard it from sources more reputable than grallon as well.
There are such sources?  :huh:

Grallon

You seem to be one of the few that makes an effort to read what I write without prejudices.  <_<

And yes that's what I meant - not 'power imbalance' as BB misconstrued - but power assertion.  Are there any details about the identity of the men?  I mean other than the driver - were those others from the lower classes?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

OttoVonBismarck

Sounds like the damage done when they sodomized her with an iron rod caused an infection they couldn't get under control. Tragic because according to news reports on 12/20 she was in critical condition but alert and conscious. If that's actually true, then all the other stuff (multiple-organ failure, brain damage, and cardiac arrest) were caused by the rampaging infection (totally possible, uncontrolled infections do all of those things.) If that's actually the case I wish for her sake she'd been moved to a first world country like Singapore back then, because shit holes like India you're intrinsically more likely to have a losing battle controlling infections. Once infection gets to a certain point you can be Bill Gates and no one can help you though.

And yeah, multiple organ failure is basically game over. The only people my wife has seen survive that survived it as Terri Schiavo-style entities, not as functional humans. Apparently for someone in the equivalent of intensive care, multiple organ failure is the #1 cause of death, and the #1 reason to prompt "end of life discussions."

CountDeMoney

Yeah, you don't see India making the cover of Ostomy, Continence & Wound Care Weekly too often.

Habbaku

Quote from: Grallon on December 28, 2012, 01:14:26 PM

You seem to be one of the few that makes an effort to read what I write without prejudices.

You might try a little thing called 'grammar' next time.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on December 28, 2012, 12:52:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 28, 2012, 12:44:25 PM
There are such sources?  :huh:

Yes.  There are a lot of psychological theories on why people commit crimes.  I've heard the one they are talking about, but don't know much about it.  The idea is that rape is less about the sexual gratification, and more about dominating someone else.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017