Will a Horrific Bus Gang-Rape in Delhi Finally Change India's Culture of Rape?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2012, 01:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2013, 04:48:32 PM
Quote from: merithyn on January 04, 2013, 04:44:12 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of done with this thread. Can't do the jokes about rape.

Wait we are condemning the entire thread just because Malthus is a degenerate?

Hey, Yi shares my degeneracy. Let's be fair here.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

That's not fair.  I was pointing out how retarded the coppers are in India.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Huh. Turns out it's partially the girl's fault because she didn't beg for mercy in the name of god.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/9787029/Guru-claims-Indian-gang-rape-victim-could-have-avoided-tragedy.html

QuoteGuru claims Indian gang-rape victim could have avoided tragedy

An Indian spiritual guru has sparked a backlash after saying the 23-year-old student who died after being gang-raped could have averted the tragedy by begging for mercy.

Asharam, known to his followers as "Bapu" or father, told his devotees that blame for the assault on a moving bus in New Delhi on December 16 should not just rest with her attackers.

"This tragedy would not have happened if she had chanted God's name and fallen at the feet of the attackers. The error was not committed by just one side," he said in video footage which has been widely circulated on the internet.

The 71-year-old's remarks - the latest in a series of gaffes by public figures blaming women for India's rape epidemic - drew a chorus of condemnation.

Ravi Shankar Prasad, spokesman for the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), said the statement was "deeply disturbing and painful".

"For him to make the statement in relation to a crime which has shocked the conscience of the country is not only unfortunate but deeply regrettable," he told reporters.

The Hindu newspaper said it was "a disgrace when a man of religion stoops so low".

"Asharam deserves to be condemned in the strongest words," the daily added in an editorial.

The editorial also criticised politicians from the ruling Congress party as well as the BJP for their sexist commentary on the Delhi rape and the need for Indian women to stay home and make traditional choices.

"Their notions of... an ideal society appear rooted in the very prejudices that have engendered a culture of violence against women, the Delhi incident being its most recent and horrific manifestation," the newspaper said.

Abhijit Mukherjee, the son of India's president who is a Congress lawmaker, landed himself in hot water last month after comparing women who took part in protests over the gang-rape to patched up second-hand cars.

Five men have been charged with rape and murder in the December 16 attack on the young student. A sixth accused, who is 17, is to be tried in a separate court for juveniles.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on January 08, 2013, 08:38:50 AM
Huh. Turns out it's partially the girl's fault because she didn't beg for mercy in the name of god.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/9787029/Guru-claims-Indian-gang-rape-victim-could-have-avoided-tragedy.html

QuoteGuru claims Indian gang-rape victim could have avoided tragedy

An Indian spiritual guru has sparked a backlash after saying the 23-year-old student who died after being gang-raped could have averted the tragedy by begging for mercy.

Asharam, known to his followers as "Bapu" or father, told his devotees that blame for the assault on a moving bus in New Delhi on December 16 should not just rest with her attackers.

"This tragedy would not have happened if she had chanted God's name and fallen at the feet of the attackers. The error was not committed by just one side," he said in video footage which has been widely circulated on the internet.

The 71-year-old's remarks - the latest in a series of gaffes by public figures blaming women for India's rape epidemic - drew a chorus of condemnation.

Ravi Shankar Prasad, spokesman for the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), said the statement was "deeply disturbing and painful".

"For him to make the statement in relation to a crime which has shocked the conscience of the country is not only unfortunate but deeply regrettable," he told reporters.

The Hindu newspaper said it was "a disgrace when a man of religion stoops so low".

"Asharam deserves to be condemned in the strongest words," the daily added in an editorial.

The editorial also criticised politicians from the ruling Congress party as well as the BJP for their sexist commentary on the Delhi rape and the need for Indian women to stay home and make traditional choices.

"Their notions of... an ideal society appear rooted in the very prejudices that have engendered a culture of violence against women, the Delhi incident being its most recent and horrific manifestation," the newspaper said.

Abhijit Mukherjee, the son of India's president who is a Congress lawmaker, landed himself in hot water last month after comparing women who took part in protests over the gang-rape to patched up second-hand cars.

Five men have been charged with rape and murder in the December 16 attack on the young student. A sixth accused, who is 17, is to be tried in a separate court for juveniles.

Woah. That's pretty harshly backwards. The reaction by pundits and politicians, seems to me, is more horrifying than the incident - after all, everywhere there exists psychopaths, but not everywhere are there public religious and political figures making excuses for them and blaming their victims.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Phillip V

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2013, 09:18:27 AM
Woah. That's pretty harshly backwards. The reaction by pundits and politicians, seems to me, is more horrifying than the incident - after all, everywhere there exists psychopaths, but not everywhere are there public religious and political figures making excuses for them and blaming their victims.

Yeah there are two things I can usually count on in the US when there is a high profile rape case (unless it involves children) from the usual clowns:

1. Anyone with allegations of rape are always guilty until proven innocent.

2. Rape jokes.

But at least here it is not prominent leaders making these sorts of statements, at least not publicly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Seems that the guys pleaded not guilty. Their lawyers will aim to undermine the police evidence.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Phillip V

Maybe a 'Not Guilty' verdict will generate more powerful protests and change.

Syt

Quote from: Phillip V on January 08, 2013, 12:32:51 PM
Maybe a 'Not Guilty' verdict will generate more powerful protests and change.

I think acquitting them would lead to worse riots than after the cops got acquitted for beating up Rodney King.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2013, 11:16:26 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2013, 09:18:27 AM

Yeah there are two things I can usually count on in the US when there is a high profile rape case (unless it involves children) from the usual clowns:

1. Anyone with allegations of rape are always guilty until proven innocent.

2. Rape jokes.

But at least here it is not prominent leaders making these sorts of statements, at least not publicly.

I'm not spoiling for a fight over this.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2013, 01:15:18 PM

Fight?  I thought I was just elaborating and agreeing with what you were saying.  That is why I said 'yeah' and not 'nope'.  :wacko:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2013, 01:21:06 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2013, 01:15:18 PM

Fight?  I thought I was just elaborating and agreeing with what you were saying.  That is why I said 'yeah' and not 'nope'.  :wacko:

My mistake. I thought you were making a more pointed comment, following up on "degenerate".

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2013, 01:45:42 PM
My mistake. I thought you were making a more pointed comment, following up on "degenerate".

Oh...no I had forgotten about that.  Just poking fun Malthus on the 'degenerate' thing.