Will a Horrific Bus Gang-Rape in Delhi Finally Change India's Culture of Rape?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2012, 01:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2012, 05:20:46 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 28, 2012, 12:52:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 28, 2012, 12:44:25 PM
I strongly disagree with the "rape = power imbalance" theory, but I have heard it from sources more reputable than grallon as well.
There are such sources?  :huh:

Yes.  There are a lot of psychological theories on why people commit crimes.  I've heard the one they are talking about, but don't know much about it.  The idea is that rape is less about the sexual gratification, and more about dominating someone else.

Sigh.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grallon

Quote from: Habbaku on December 28, 2012, 05:19:55 PM

You might try a little thing called 'grammar' next time.

And you may want to try to be a little less '1st degree' once in a while - it might help you get laid.

-----

Perhaps she's better off dead.  Had she survived this would have haunted her forever. :(

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

'She was studious, ambitious and about to be married.

Her parents had sold off land and scrimped on food to pay for her and her brothers’ education. She came to India’s capital to pursue dreams of being a doctor, from a tiny farming village that regularly suffered drought and floods.
The victim’s parents had moved to New Delhi from a small town called Ballia in Uttar Pradesh, among hundreds of Indians who migrate to large Indian cities in search of a better future for their children. Her father worked as a loader with a private airline at New Delhi’s international airport.

He had invested heavily in his children’s education, even selling his ancestral property, “so that their aspirations could be fulfilled,” Mr. Singh was quoted as saying. Her father always encouraged her to shine in life, and, unlike many traditional families who save first for their daughter’s marriage, he spared no expense for her education, the Times of India said.

Her father’s sacrifices sparked in the victim a determination to succeed at an early age. As a teenager, she reportedly gave lessons to younger children to supplement the household income. A role model for those in her neighborhood, her parents hoped her two younger siblings would emulate her. She was determined to start earning so she could repay her father, Indian media reported.

On Sunday evening, reports suggested that the victim was preparing for her marriage in February. “They had made all the wedding preparations and had planned a wedding party in Delhi,” Agence France-Presse quoted Meena Rai, who said she had accompanied the victim on shopping trips.

She told her family she had battled her attackers, her brother told India Today. “While she was admitted in hospital, she told me that she fought back as hard as she could. She was defending herself by beating and biting them.”

The victim last spoke to her family on Wednesday, her brother said. “She asked me if I had taken my dinner. I answered yes. She then told me that I should sleep. She said, ‘aap so jao, main bhi ab soungi’ (you go to sleep, I will also sleep),” he said. “Then she embraced my hand and slept as a tear dropped from the corner of her eye. Those were her last words to me. Thereafter, she never gained consciousness and didn’t talk to any of us.”

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/portrait-emerges-of-victim-in-new-delhi-gang-rape/

CountDeMoney

I'm sure Indian culture will get on that rape hopey-changey thing right away.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Right, because something as flexible as centuries' worth of Indian attitudes to women are going to change with one high-profile victim.  After all, Islam does it so well.

garbon

I've no idea why you need to be an asshole and snarkily tell us that things aren't going change quick. Way to point out the obvious. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 31, 2012, 09:39:34 AM
I've no idea why you need to be an asshole and snarkily tell us that things aren't going change quick. Way to point out the obvious. :rolleyes:

In fairness to Seedy, the thread title does seem to naively indicate that things may change.  I don't see how he's being a dick or asshole here.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

You've been away, he's being doing his level best to fill the void.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 31, 2012, 09:47:17 AM

In fairness to Seedy, the thread title does seem to naively indicate that things may change.  I don't see how he's being a dick or asshole here.

He already got in his gags earlier which I called him out on. Reiterating it after the victim died is unnecessary.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on December 31, 2012, 09:49:01 AM

You've been away, he's being doing his level best to fill the void.   :)

I'm too mellow for that. I've noticed though that you haven't stopped spewing nonsense in just about every thread. :(