Walmart Workers Threaten to Strike on Black Friday

Started by Syt, November 19, 2012, 02:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2012, 06:09:38 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 06:07:08 PMThe value in minimum wage laws is that it helps prevent abuse. Holiday pay does not.

I disagree, in that I think making people work on statutory holidays without extra compensation to be abuse.

Okay. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 05:13:33 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 05:05:36 PM
There are industries where holidays do not mean the same thing as they do in others. The medical field is one of them. A number of service industries are others, like gas stations and convenience stores that are open 24/7/365. If you work for a store known for their huge sales on Black Friday and that are open 24/7, you can assume that you'll be working on Thanksgiving. Movie theaters are open on Christmas, so if you work for one of them, there's a good chance you'll be working on Christmas Day, too.

In a civilized society with proper labour laws all these employees can expect to be compensated with proper pay for working on those statutory holidays.  The fact that you would defend the practice of not paying them on the basis that it is some kind of norm does, as I said, answer my question.

You know what I'm about tired of your Martinus-of-Canada bullshit. No one gives a fuck that Canada has a good economy. People care more about what toilet paper they're going to use to wipe their ass with than they do about some shit, nothing country that has literally never contributed anything of worth to human society. Canada is nothing, its economy is the size of my long removed foreskin. There are more rich people in America than there are Canadians, and our rich people know how to actually be rich, whereas yours probably cough over half their wealth to the government to fund liquor subsidies to Natives. Fuck you and your worthless, desolate, shit bag Luxembourg of the North bullshit.

I'm about tired of hearing some minor player on the world stage gloating because they managed to do a good job with their 10-year-old-with-an-allowance level fiscal and economic issues, guess what we're not a great power down south we are the great power and you're absolutely nothing, nothing at all. You're the Palmyrene Empire of our time, doomed to irrelevance and nothingness in the history books.

Jacob

:lol:

I was wondering when you were going to put your cranky pants back on again Otto.

Scipio

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 03:58:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 03:56:30 PM
This comes back to my age of question about US politics - why do people affected by these kinds of draconian laws keep voting in the people that make them?

That's a Big Business (ie Republican) thing, and most factory workers that I know vote Democrat.
Cause those Democrats are doing a great job keeping the man down.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

merithyn

Quote from: Scipio on November 19, 2012, 07:09:39 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 03:58:40 PM
That's a Big Business (ie Republican) thing, and most factory workers that I know vote Democrat.
Cause those Democrats are doing a great job keeping the man down.

I should point out that I'm not making a judgment call here. I'm simply saying that the people this would directly affect are most likely to vote for those who would make a legislative change on it. It's commonly known that in the US, the Republicans tend to be against business legislation while the Democrats tend toward business legislation.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 19, 2012, 06:53:13 PM
I'm about tired of hearing some minor player on the world stage gloating because they managed to do a good job with their 10-year-old-with-an-allowance level fiscal and economic issues, guess what we're not a great power down south we are the great power and you're absolutely nothing, nothing at all. You're the Palmyrene Empire of our time, doomed to irrelevance and nothingness in the history books.

I would think you would be more tired about how backward your labour laws are.  But I suppose I have another piece to my answer.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Otto's outrage is justified.  You Canucks lecture us about labor laws and then try to steal all our good comedian jobs.
Shame on you all.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 19, 2012, 07:33:27 PM
Otto's outrage is justified.  You Canucks lecture us about labor laws and then try to steal all our good comedian jobs.
Shame on you all.

Free Market all the way  :D

Sheilbh

Why have statutory holidays midweek?  In the UK that may be the day but (excepting Christmas) the holiday moves to the nearest Monday or Friday (and Tuesday/Thursday in some cases) so you have a long weekend.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 19, 2012, 11:10:07 PM
Why have statutory holidays midweek?  In the UK that may be the day but (excepting Christmas) the holiday moves to the nearest Monday or Friday (and Tuesday/Thursday in some cases) so you have a long weekend.
Tradition?

The only ones I can think of that fall midweek are Canada Day (July 1st) and Armistice Day (November 11th).  Although if those fall on the weekend, you get Monday off.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2012, 11:46:01 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 19, 2012, 11:10:07 PM
Tradition?

The only ones I can think of that fall midweek are Canada Day (July 1st) and Armistice Day (November 11th).  Although if those fall on the weekend, you get Monday off.
January 1st and 2nd
St-Jean-Baptiste for Quebec (June 24th) - unmovable
Canada day  - movable to the Monday of Friday, wichever is closest, so doesn't really count.
Armistice Day is not a statutory holiday here, only union workers will typically get this day off.
December 25th-26th.

These can all fall on weekdays.  I thought it was mostly the same in Canada, except June 24th and January 2nd.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 05:05:36 PM

There are industries where holidays do not mean the same thing as they do in others. The medical field is one of them. A number of service industries are others, like gas stations and convenience stores that are open 24/7/365. If you work for a store known for their huge sales on Black Friday and that are open 24/7, you can assume that you'll be working on Thanksgiving. Movie theaters are open on Christmas, so if you work for one of them, there's a good chance you'll be working on Christmas Day, too.
Ah, not here.  It's one thing I don't really mind though.  I can actually *live* for a full day without going to the grocery store :D

When it's an expectation of that industry, you're not likely to get holiday pay for working it, either. I have worked innumerable Christmases and Thanksgivings, and without getting holiday pay for it. Most of the time, they're part-time jobs, which means that there are no benefits of any kind, including paid time off and holiday pay.
Strange.  People here working in hospitals will get another day off when they work on Christmas, their schedule is simply adjusted on this.

I will argue about too many holidays, but not against the general principle of letting workers days off to be with their family for important days like Christmas and New Year.  It's actually very good that people are not working and getting compensated on these days, as they can afford the time to do more shopping, spend more money, boost the economy and the government's coffers where there is a sales tax.
It's a win-win situation.

And yeah, having spent 18 months without a steady paycheck, I'll deal with working a day others get off. I dislike it, and I'm working on trying to get a job that doesn't expect such things from their workers. In the meantime, I need the paycheck more than I need a day off.
But if you were paying 45% taxes, you could get the day off and your paycheck!!!  ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.