Walmart Workers Threaten to Strike on Black Friday

Started by Syt, November 19, 2012, 02:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 05:35:44 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 19, 2012, 05:26:09 PM
I'm not sure America can win this race to the bottom; hell I was treated badly as an employee, so you should accept worse treatment otherwise unions will take over the country.

:huh:

What the hell does that even mean?

By the way, I never said that because I was treated badly as an employee others should be treated the same. I said that it's the nature of the beast in some industries. I don't consider it being treated badly. I consider it the norm, with anyone who handles it better a better employer.

Meri I wasn't addressing you directly but rather the whole workers should accept whatever crap employers choose to apply; just because those are the 'accepted' conditions for some in the industry, doesn't meant people can,t choose to improve their lot, hell maybe even collectively bargain with the employer (hint unions are sometimes of use here).

The wider point is having weak workers rights and higher exploitation doesn't make America a more competitive economy; some of the other productive western economies have better employment legislation and they don't seem to suffer as a result.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on November 19, 2012, 05:49:23 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 05:35:44 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 19, 2012, 05:26:09 PM
I'm not sure America can win this race to the bottom; hell I was treated badly as an employee, so you should accept worse treatment otherwise unions will take over the country.

:huh:

What the hell does that even mean?

By the way, I never said that because I was treated badly as an employee others should be treated the same. I said that it's the nature of the beast in some industries. I don't consider it being treated badly. I consider it the norm, with anyone who handles it better a better employer.

Meri I wasn't addressing you directly but rather the whole workers should accept whatever crap employers choose to apply; just because those are the 'accepted' conditions for some in the industry, doesn't meant people can,t choose to improve their lot, hell maybe even collectively bargain with the employer (hint unions are sometimes of use here).

The wider point is having weak workers rights and higher exploitation doesn't make America a more competitive economy; some of the other productive western economies have better employment legislation and they don't seem to suffer as a result.

I dunno - when I look around the US seems to have one of the most competitive economies going.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

I'm just not convinced that legislation is the way to go. On some things, I absolutely agree that it should be legislated (child-labor laws, defined work-weeks, etc.) but when it comes to pay, that's really a market thing, imo. That includes the idea of paying people more for working on holidays.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 05:51:55 PM
I dunno - when I look around the US seems to have one of the most competitive economies going.

have you seen their trade deficit?  In fact when was the last time they had a trade surplus?

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 05:54:36 PM

I'm just not convinced that legislation is the way to go. On some things, I absolutely agree that it should be legislated (child-labor laws, defined work-weeks, etc.) but when it comes to pay, that's really a market thing, imo. That includes the idea of paying people more for working on holidays.

Why stop and not paying people who work stat holidays.  If the market demands child labour why not give it.  Why step in the way of economic efficiency?  If people want to work long days why not let their employers contract with them to do so.  Why have work weeks.  Arent you imposing your values on others.

Or look at it the other way.  Why have Statutory Holidays at all?

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 05:58:15 PM
Why stop and not paying people who work stat holidays.  If the market demands child labour why not give it.  Why step in the way of economic efficiency?  If people want to work long days why not let their employers contract with them to do so.  Why have work weeks.  Arent you imposing your values on others.

Because there's such a thing as a balance? Because it doesn't have to be absolute one direction or another?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 05:55:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 05:51:55 PM

have you seen their trade deficit?  In fact when was the last time they had a trade surplus?

Wage stagnation.  An American principle.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 05:13:29 PMHey seedy - you ever worked in a unionized position?  :)

Hey BB, have you ever worked for Walmart?

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 06:00:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 05:58:15 PM

Because there's such a thing as a balance? Because it doesn't have to be absolute one direction or another?

And paying people Statutory pay for you know the Statutory holiday is an exetreme?

I am amazed I must say.

Jacob

So you're against minimum wage laws?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2012, 06:02:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 05:13:29 PMHey seedy - you ever worked in a unionized position?  :)

Hey BB, have you ever worked for Walmart?

Hey jake, do you like gladiator movies?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 19, 2012, 06:04:39 PM
Hey jake, do you like gladiator movies?

Some of them are pretty good.

Do you like Japanese food?

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2012, 06:04:01 PM

So you're against minimum wage laws?

The value in minimum wage laws is that it helps prevent abuse. Holiday pay does not.

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 06:07:08 PMThe value in minimum wage laws is that it helps prevent abuse. Holiday pay does not.

I disagree, in that I think making people work on statutory holidays without extra compensation to be abuse.