Main Menu

Languishing some more.

Started by Maximus, November 07, 2012, 01:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on March 29, 2013, 06:28:41 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 29, 2013, 02:47:57 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on March 28, 2013, 11:38:24 AM
Tamas doing random shit that helps someone else? Unpossible!

what are you talking about?

I guess you failed to notice that HRE is 2 keys away from autowin? Helping it take more Spanish keys is great!

I felt like forcing Spain to put an effort into defending :P

Solmyr

There's actually no reason for me to bother doing that, because I don't have enough cards or units to defend against the HRE doomstack which you helpfully let through. I suspect that after the fall of Madrid, the HRE will play a card that will take away your Pope or Venice, netting them the win.

The Ottomans might be able to do something, although I suspect Ulmont will just pay a card to avoid their DoW.

Maximus

Solmyr

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on March 29, 2013, 07:33:41 AM
There's actually no reason for me to bother doing that, because I don't have enough cards or units to defend against the HRE doomstack which you helpfully let through. I suspect that after the fall of Madrid, the HRE will play a card that will take away your Pope or Venice, netting them the win.

The Ottomans might be able to do something, although I suspect Ulmont will just pay a card to avoid their DoW.

meh

sbr

I will use my HC Ottoman Tribute to declare war on the HRE.

My understanding is that tribute is optional to both sides, and I won't accept any.

1/2 Move Solluku and 11R+1C to Pressburg.

2/2 Build Cosair with Ali's fleet in Tripoli.

ulmont

Your understanding is wrong and I'll pay.

sbr

Quote from: ulmont on March 30, 2013, 11:02:56 AM
Your understanding is wrong and I'll pay.

Based on what?

The card itself implies I have a choice in accepting: "If tribute is accepted by the Ottoman...."  I also had a PM conversation with someone here who is knowledgeable but not in the game an they confirmed that.

ulmont

The card says flatly that Spain or the HRE may offer tribute to cancel re declaration of war.

Take it to consimworld, because it certainly wasn't my understanding (and thus sd etc etc)

sbr

Quote from: ulmont on March 30, 2013, 11:08:27 AM
The card says flatly that Spain or the HRE may offer tribute to cancel re declaration of war.

Take it to consimworld, because it certainly wasn't my understanding (and thus sd etc etc)

Right, but the use of the words "offer" and "if ... accepted"seems to make it clear it is a two way street and both powers have to agree.

The FAQ on page 30 of the Scenario book also use the phrase "If tribute is accepted..."

I have never been to consimworld so if you wouldn't mind asking the question there.

EDIT:  Someone named Phillp Jelley on BGG says the same thing

QuoteNon-player Home Cards are removed from play, they are not used.

With the Ottoman Tribute Home Card

1) Ottomans declares war one of Spain, HRE or Venice

2) Spain may cancel this declaration of war on Spain, HRE or Venice by offering the Ottomans a random card from his hand.

3) If Spain declines and the HRE is not a non-player power then HRE may cancel this declaration of war on Spain, HRE or Venice by offering the Ottomans a random card from his hand.

4) The Ottomans may accept the tribute and take the random card and a card from the deck, or may not accept it and carry on with spending his 2 CP (NB the Ottomans may quicken things up a bit by declining any tribute when he plays the card).

Philip

Solmyr

Tbh I also thought the card worked the way Ulmont says, though now I can see the reasoning for sbr's view. I'm okay with Ulmont changing his SD though as it was obviously dependent on reading the card the former way. And sbr can presumably redo his 2 CP based on any new HRE SD.

EDIT: I posted this question to BGG (don't have access to CSW), just to be sure: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/954466/ottoman-tribute-hc-can-ottomans-refuse-tribute-a

Solmyr

Confirmed on BGG that the Ottomans can refuse tribute.

ulmont

Ottoman tribute seems a lot more useful than HRE intervention then.  SD would be to The ottoman border rather than France then, with intervention as the card in hand.

Solmyr

I assume you can redo your SD/HC and send a file, after which sbr can redo his play if he wants.

ulmont

I can, but not sure when I'll be back at a computer, which is why I posted.