News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Puerto Rico Ballot Initiative

Started by DontSayBanana, November 07, 2012, 12:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Starting this up to keep from derailing the election thread, but I thought of something.  Does anybody know if a ballot initiative in PR needs a quorum or a simple majority to pass?  As it stands right now, it sounds like PR might finally be approaching Congress about statehood.
Experience bij!

Valmy

Both Obama and Mittens promised to back Puerto Rico if they voted Statehood:

http://www.chron.com/news/world/article/Puerto-Rico-votes-on-US-ties-and-chooses-governor-4012422.php

QuoteBoth President Barack Obama and rival Mitt Romney said they supported the referendum, with Obama pledging to respect the will of the people if there was a clear majority. Any change would require approval by the U.S. Congress.

So this will probably happen, if the vote holds up.  A 'clear majority' is needed.  So probably 55%+ for Statehood.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Valmy on November 07, 2012, 12:16:42 AM
So this will probably happen, if the vote holds up.  A 'clear majority' is needed.  So probably 55%+ for Statehood.

So basically, it's still in toss-up territory.  It's hovering right at 54% with about 2/3 of the polling stations reporting.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

87.77% in

Question 1 -  Should we keep our current status?
NO    832,625    53.88%    
YES    712,769    46.12%    

Question 2 - If No, what should we do?
STATEHOOD    722,336    61.69%    
SOVEREIGN FREE ASSOCIATED STATE    386,028    32.97%    
INDEPENDENCE    62,584    5.34%    
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

The Chinese would never allow Puerto Rico to declare its independence anyway.

MadImmortalMan

How many years have they been putting it off now? I think the PR statehood issue has been completely finished aside from a popular vote on it for like 60 years at least.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Don't really like that two-part format, statehood didn't get a majority of actual ballots cast. There will probably have to be another plebiscite with yes/no to statehood option.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

What do the Ricans have to offer us??
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Phillip V

Quote from: 11B4V on November 07, 2012, 03:12:17 AM
What do the Ricans have to offer us??
Lovely latino women.

Unfortunately, 66% of the Puerto Rican population is obese or overweight. :x

CountDeMoney

I'd rather see us drop our outdated, Cold War-era restrictions with Cuba than add Puerto Rico to the union. 

I hear the Cuban nightlife is to die for.  Johnny Olaf told me that.

Phillip V

Cuba would be a great spring break destination for college kids.

Send our drones and annex Cuba.

Lettow77

The Anti-Statehood candidate seems to have barely won as governor, though. With that and a republican house, can this really be expected to occur?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on November 07, 2012, 04:00:58 AM
The Anti-Statehood candidate seems to have barely won as governor, though. With that and a republican house, can this really be expected to occur?
He has to follow the dictate of the referendum.

Puerto Rican statehood is in the GOP party platform.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Where is website to follow updated results?

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point