News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Puerto Rico Ballot Initiative

Started by DontSayBanana, November 07, 2012, 12:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

So does this election actually mean anything?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on November 07, 2012, 05:06:15 AM
It means the government of Puerto Rico has to apply for statehood, new governor notwithstanding. Congress will have to vote yes or no.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Will your pals in the GOP go for it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Liep

I don't remember any Puerto Ricans in that Samuel L. Jackson film...
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2012, 05:07:30 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 07, 2012, 05:06:15 AM
It means the government of Puerto Rico has to apply for statehood, new governor notwithstanding. Congress will have to vote yes or no.
How long is the process?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on November 07, 2012, 05:10:20 AM
Will your pals in the GOP go for it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_status_of_Puerto_Rico#2012_Platforms''

QuoteRepublican Party 2012 Platform

We support the right of the United States citizens of Puerto Rico to be admitted to the Union as a fully sovereign state after they freely so determine. We recognize that Congress has the final authority to define the constitutionally valid options for Puerto Rico to achieve a permanent non-territorial status with government by consent and full enfranchisement. As long as Puerto Rico is not a state, however, the will of its people regarding their political status should be ascertained by means of a general right of referendum or specific referenda sponsored by the U.S. government.[
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: 11B4V on November 07, 2012, 03:12:17 AM
What do the Ricans have to offer us??

2 reliably democratic senators, 6 reliably democratic congressmen and 8 reliable democratic electoral votes. I expect the republicans to vote against, or at least filibuster.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Phillip V

Quote from: Viking on November 07, 2012, 06:12:12 AM

2 reliably democratic senators, 6 reliably democratic congressmen and 8 reliable democratic electoral votes. I expect the republicans to vote against, or at least filibuster.

Seems not to have precedent. I would think that denying statehood would be a headline-grabbing douche move. How many Americans want to deny statehood to Puerto Rico?

Caliga

The problem is that PR is tainted. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Phillip V on November 07, 2012, 06:16:58 AM

Seems not to have precedent. I would think that denying statehood would be a headline-grabbing douche move. How many Americans want to deny statehood to Puerto Rico?

To quote Mitch McConnell

Quote<his> "top political priority over the next two years should be to deny President Obama a second term in office."

so, yes, a douche move. They'll try to avoid getting blamed for it, but still, they'll try to stop it.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

The Republican party doesn't believe that though.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2012, 06:35:04 AM

Well, they need to stop being the party of deporting latinos first though.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2012, 06:35:04 AM

:lol:  You really believe that don't you?  Poor, Poor Tim. At the very least they'll try to put it off as long as possible.  They don't want to see another state join the Union under Obama's watch.  Fucks up their incompetent narrative.  They sure as hell aren't interested in putting themselves further behind in Congress, and lets face it.  Lots of Republicans hate latinos.  Hell, they probably see the Ricans as illegal immigrants.  Also it'll fuck up their "English as the only language" bullshit.

celedhring

It's funny though, since latinos are a comparatively conservative constituency (big on family values and religion), yet they consistently alienate it.

Tamas