News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Puerto Rico Ballot Initiative

Started by DontSayBanana, November 07, 2012, 12:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Each state's admission is unique and sui generis.  However, the process is basically that the legally convened government of the territory seeking statehood sets a local process for petitioning statehood, and if the locals want statehood, the local government must have a constitution guaranteeing a republican form of government.  Then, Congress essentially passes a bill making it a state, and the President signs it into law.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2012, 12:21:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2012, 12:18:48 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2012, 12:16:31 PM
Quote from: Count on November 07, 2012, 12:00:41 PM
agree with Peter: doesn't make sense to set it up so that you apply for statehood without an actual majority of people wanting statehood.

Also, Puerto Rico probably shouldn't be a state. It's way poorer than the rest of the country and most people don't speak English.
It's GDP PPP is equal to the Czech Republic ($27k), not as bad as you'd think.

Who gives a fuck about the English?

We should have kept Cuba and the Philippines and made them states to.

And the Phillippines GDP is $4100 per capita.  Plus, you know, they fought a massive insurgency because they didn't want to be a US colony.
And we crushed it. There's no way the Philippine GDP would be that low (and correspondingly their population that high) if it was ruled by the US for a hundred years.

And the act of crushing the insurgency convinced the us that it didn't want to be an imperial power. PR never bothered to revolt or demand independence.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Count

I'm not sure it's safe to assume that other latinos give a shit about Puerto Rican statehood. If it became a really contentious debate about dirty hispanics, then maybe
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Count on November 07, 2012, 01:05:31 PM
I'm not sure it's safe to assume that other latinos give a shit about Puerto Rican statehood. If it became a really contentious debate about dirty hispanics, then maybe

That's true.  I could actually see it having an adverse effect on Cuban-origin population, which already tends to skew right.
Experience bij!

Viking

They will if they think that the reasons the republicans oppose PR statehood because the puerto ricans are latinos.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

lustindarkness

I have proudly used Dirty Rican as a name for games before. :)

Typed with my fat fingers on a small stupid phone.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on November 07, 2012, 01:11:20 PM
They will if they think that the reasons the republicans oppose PR statehood because the puerto ricans are latinos.

This.  A rejection of PR statehood would be hard to spin as not anti-Latino.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on November 07, 2012, 01:57:19 PM

I'll take care of it for them:  "We don't want to fuck the stars on the flag up.  Sorry."  :P

ulmont

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 07, 2012, 05:03:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 07, 2012, 01:57:19 PM

I'll take care of it for them:  "We don't want to fuck the stars on the flag up.  Sorry."  :P

Surprisingly easy to work out.  51 = 17x3, so alternating 3 rows of 8 with 3 rows of 9 works smoothly.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/do_the_math/2010/06/13_stripes_and_51_stars.html

And a widget to generate more options:
http://img.slate.com/media/19/flag.swf

Eddie Teach

They'd also have to change the words to "Fifty Nifty United States"  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2012, 12:16:31 PM
Quote from: Count on November 07, 2012, 12:00:41 PM
agree with Peter: doesn't make sense to set it up so that you apply for statehood without an actual majority of people wanting statehood.

Also, Puerto Rico probably shouldn't be a state. It's way poorer than the rest of the country and most people don't speak English.
It's GDP PPP is equal to the Czech Republic ($27k), not as bad as you'd think.

Who gives a fuck about the English?

We should have kept Cuba and the Philippines and made them states to.

I agree with Cuba, but that needed to be done soon after the Spanish-American War.

The Phillipines?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

I think it would be hilarious if Congressional Democrats follow Count's lead and oppose Puerto Rican statehood, especially if they just use the same reasons up-front:
QuotePuerto Rico probably shouldn't be a state. It's way poorer than the rest of the country and most people don't speak English.

celedhring

Is there any real reason to deny PR statehood given the current relationship in place?