News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Puerto Rico Ballot Initiative

Started by DontSayBanana, November 07, 2012, 12:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2012, 07:15:20 AM
It's funny though, since latinos are a comparatively conservative constituency (big on family values and religion), yet they consistently alienate it.

It's so true;  no minority is more custom-catered to becoming a conservative bulwark than Latinos, with their religious and family value systems.  Dubya saw it, Jeb Bush sees it, so does Rick Perry.

But, when when a substantial number of people in a political party want to kick you out of the country or make sure you serve time for being here, it's sorta hard to get on board.

50,000 Latinos turn 18 in America every month.  That's a lot of votes thrown away.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 07, 2012, 07:09:56 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2012, 06:35:04 AM
Quote from: Viking on November 07, 2012, 06:12:12 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 07, 2012, 03:12:17 AM
What do the Ricans have to offer us??

2 reliably democratic senators, 6 reliably democratic congressmen and 8 reliable democratic electoral votes. I expect the republicans to vote against, or at least filibuster.
The Republican party doesn't believe that though.

:lol:  You really believe that don't you?  Poor, Poor Tim. At the very least they'll try to put it off as long as possible.  They don't want to see another state join the Union under Obama's watch.  Fucks up their incompetent narrative.  They sure as hell aren't interested in putting themselves further behind in Congress, and lets face it.  Lots of Republicans hate latinos.  Hell, they probably see the Ricans as illegal immigrants.  Also it'll fuck up their "English as the only language" bullshit.

Well I find it odd they'd put it in their party platform and then not be sincere. After all Republic platforms don't generally tend to shy away from what they want even if it doesn't play well.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I do not.  There's all sorts of stuff on the party platform.  Something might get added to the party platform in 1972, and still be on there even if Republicans don't believe in it. Take a look at the Republican party platform sometimes, there's all kinds of crazy shit in there.  Gold standard, foreign fertilizer, opposition to "UN taxes", whatever.  I doubt they take half of it seriously.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

I wait to see what happens with this.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

This election does not look like a clear majority to me.  But I guess it is up to Puerto Ricans to decide if this is good enough.  On the other hand virtually none of them seem to favor independence and in my view those are the only two options.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 07, 2012, 07:38:37 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2012, 07:15:20 AM
It's funny though, since latinos are a comparatively conservative constituency (big on family values and religion), yet they consistently alienate it.

It's so true;  no minority is more custom-catered to becoming a conservative bulwark than Latinos, with their religious and family value systems.  Dubya saw it, Jeb Bush sees it, so does Rick Perry.

But, when when a substantial number of people in a political party want to kick you out of the country or make sure you serve time for being here, it's sorta hard to get on board.

50,000 Latinos turn 18 in America every month.  That's a lot of votes thrown away.

:yes:

One of the keys to Harper getting a Conservative majority at last has been a steady courting of the immigrant vote.  We don't have a lot of latinos in Canada, but we have a substantial number of south and east asians.  Values like support for family and the value of hard work play really well in those communities once you drop opposition to immigration as a platform.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Count

agree with Peter: doesn't make sense to set it up so that you apply for statehood without an actual majority of people wanting statehood.

Also, Puerto Rico probably shouldn't be a state. It's way poorer than the rest of the country and most people don't speak English.

I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

Viking

Quote from: Count on November 07, 2012, 12:00:41 PM
agree with Peter: doesn't make sense to set it up so that you apply for statehood without an actual majority of people wanting statehood.

Also, Puerto Rico probably shouldn't be state. It's way poorer than the rest of the country and most people don't speak English.

Sounds like Alabama or Mississippi then.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Also, Puerto Rico probably shouldn't be a state. It's way poorer than the rest of the country and most people don't speak English.
It's GDP PPP is equal to the Czech Republic ($27k), not as bad as you'd think.

Who gives a fuck about the English?

We should have kept Cuba and the Philippines and made them states to.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2012, 12:16:31 PM

And the Phillippines GDP is $4100 per capita.  Plus, you know, they fought a massive insurgency because they didn't want to be a US colony.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Well, they preferred to belong to third world shitholes that can't get them visas to first world countries and routinely risk death or enslavement to get out of those countries.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2012, 12:18:48 PM

And the Phillippines GDP is $4100 per capita.  Plus, you know, they fought a massive insurgency because they didn't want to be a US colony.
And we crushed it. There's no way the Philippine GDP would be that low (and correspondingly their population that high) if it was ruled by the US for a hundred years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Count

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2012, 12:21:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2012, 12:18:48 PM

And we crushed it. There's no way the Philippine GDP would be that low (and correspondingly their population that high) if it was ruled by the US for a hundred years.

:bleeding:
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

Scipio

If the GOP blocks Puerto Rican statehood, it will kill the GOP.  That would guarantee no Latino will vote for the Republican Party again.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DontSayBanana

I'm just trying to figure out how binding this is.  Does this mean their guy in DC has to introduce a statehood application, or does it mean he can introduce a statehood application?  Does this result in a mandate or an option?
Experience bij!