News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Puerto Rico Ballot Initiative

Started by DontSayBanana, November 07, 2012, 12:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2012, 06:13:00 PM
Is there any real reason to deny PR statehood given the current relationship in place?

Well, unless it's clear that the majority there would prefer the current relationship to statehood, on a philosophical level, no.  Actually, on a philosophical level, the argument can be made that the current relationship isn't proper, and they should be forced to choose either statehood or independence (same for American Somoa, Guam, etc.). 

On a practical level, the poverty of the island relative to the rest of the US is a cause for concern, but I don't think it's a valid reason to deny them statehood if they want it.

Tonitrus

My prediction:

Democrats will endorse the idea of PR statehood wholeheartedly (7 new Dems in Congress!).

Republicans will play lip-service to the idea, but stall/block...as in, put on lots of conditions, probably demand a clearer referendum, require preconditions...maybe even be all EU-like and say "your economy has to be like this before you get in".  Or just say "we have more important business right now...'Merica!".

mongers

Wouldn't this mean that American gains yet another timezone ? 

Atlantic time ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

celedhring

Quote from: dps on November 07, 2012, 06:25:19 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2012, 06:13:00 PM
Is there any real reason to deny PR statehood given the current relationship in place?

Well, unless it's clear that the majority there would prefer the current relationship to statehood, on a philosophical level, no.  Actually, on a philosophical level, the argument can be made that the current relationship isn't proper, and they should be forced to choose either statehood or independence (same for American Somoa, Guam, etc.). 

On a practical level, the poverty of the island relative to the rest of the US is a cause for concern, but I don't think it's a valid reason to deny them statehood if they want it.

Yeah, that's what I mean. The current situation needs to be resolved one way or another and if indeed such a majority in PR arises (it's still a bit unclear from that vote) I can't see how they could be denied.

dps

Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2012, 07:55:41 PM
The current situation needs to be resolved one way or another

What's wrong with it if that's what the people there want?  Not rhetorical;  I'm seriously asking for your views on the question.

celedhring

Quote from: dps on November 07, 2012, 09:00:11 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2012, 07:55:41 PM
The current situation needs to be resolved one way or another

What's wrong with it if that's what the people there want?  Not rhetorical;  I'm seriously asking for your views on the question.

Well I'm Spanish, not Puertorrican, so I can't speak for them. I just think political impasses or perennially temporal arrangements are bad; one has to have a good idea of the long term political arrangement within a society in order to foster legal certainty and growth. So I think it would be for the good of Puerto Rico if people knew where they will stand 10 years from now instead of tip-toeing around the issue every five years or so.

Tonitrus

Also, if they do make PR a state, they just go ahead and toss the US Virgin Islands territory into it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 07, 2012, 03:27:59 AM
I'd rather see us drop our outdated, Cold War-era restrictions with Cuba than add Puerto Rico to the union. 

I hear the Cuban nightlife is to die for.  Johnny Olaf told me that.

I stand by my earlier statement.

And you fuckers, I toss you a Godfather reference, and you disrespect it like Moe Greene slapping Fredo for banging cocktail waitresses two at a time.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 07, 2012, 12:37:00 PM
I'm just trying to figure out how binding this is.  Does this mean their guy in DC has to introduce a statehood application, or does it mean he can introduce a statehood application?  Does this result in a mandate or an option?
Their guy in Washington is a pro statehood democrat who was reelected. So, he will introduce it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

It would be ironic if the thing that pushed the USA into bankruptcy was the cost of adding that extra star to everything.   :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Count

Quote from: dps on November 07, 2012, 06:11:16 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 07, 2012, 01:11:20 PM
Quote from: Count on November 07, 2012, 01:05:31 PM
I'm not sure it's safe to assume that other latinos give a shit about Puerto Rican statehood. If it became a really contentious debate about dirty hispanics, then maybe

They will if they think that the reasons the republicans oppose PR statehood because the puerto ricans are latinos.

I think it would be hilarious if Congressional Democrats follow Count's lead and oppose Puerto Rican statehood, especially if they just use the same reasons up-front:
QuotePuerto Rico probably shouldn't be a state. It's way poorer than the rest of the country and most people don't speak English.

I assume Congressional Dems would support statehood- two free senators is nice. But the poverty and language / cultural difference seem like real enough reasons to me. There's a difference between supporting immigration and wanting to have a state that primarily speaks Spanish, has a distinct culture from the rest of the country, and is much poorer (Tim's stat is nice but the territory derives 20% of its income from federal transfer payments).

Maybe it'll work out, and if Puerto Ricans are definitely for it (which I don't think the weird two part vote demonstrates) then maybe it has to happen, but I think there are real reasons for concern.

http://cronkite.asu.edu/buffett/puertorico/economy.html
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

CountDeMoney

Well, it's not like I-95 would be extended to go through it.  It's statehood wouldn't be any more of an impact (other than economically) than its current status now:  a tourist destination. 

Besides, it's an island where most of the inhabitants are too shit poor to get off of anyway.  If only we'd be so lucky and Mississippi was stuck in the middle of the water, too.

garbon

I never would have thought Count would be on the side of "they need to speak English." Ah, tolerance, it only runs so deep.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Count

Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2012, 11:01:36 PM
I never would have thought Count would be on the side of "they need to speak English." Ah, tolerance, it only runs so deep.

I'm a big fan of immigration, and obviously Puerto Ricans are already citizens and can move around and vote when they're living in a state and do other citizen-y things. I just don't know if a Quebec On The Sea is a great idea. PR is great and all but it's really different from the rest of the country.
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years