And we're back!

Main Menu

NOAA to East: Beware of coming 'Frankenstorm

Started by garbon, October 25, 2012, 01:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2012, 03:47:26 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 30, 2012, 03:44:07 PM
My evil twin Biff Anger was the one posting about you eating potted meat in the dark Garb, not me.

Rude. I was eating Pb & J.

I knew you would never let that stuff pass your lips.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

In continuing good news, Gawker is still down.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2012, 02:58:47 PM
So power went out at 8:30 around the time that transformer on 14th street blew. As of this morning no cell service either. Currently in hotel bar uptown. Can't wait to take bus to work tomorrow!
Why don't you walk?  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2012, 03:46:30 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2012, 12:03:37 PM
I hope garbon's OK, and he hasn't been set upon by roving bands of cannibalistic Puerto Ricans.

You must have given me a work cell last year. I texted after power went out / before cell service went out.

Shit, yeah, that was my work Crackberry.  I'll PM you the iHipster.

DGuller

Just got the power back in this area of Brooklyn, after 2.5 hour outage.  What a strange time to have a blackout, long after the hurricane has passed by.  :huh:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on October 30, 2012, 10:58:35 PM
Just got the power back in this area of Brooklyn, after 2.5 hour outage.  What a strange time to have a blackout, long after the hurricane has passed by.  :huh:

With all the mess up there, could be anything from storm-related damage to rerouting on the grid.  They do that sometimes.

Grey Fox

I was reading about ConEd & apparently most of it's electricity is imported from Hydro Quebec.

New York City powered by Northern Quebec.  :)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 31, 2012, 07:56:57 AM
I was reading about ConEd & apparently most of it's electricity is imported from Hydro Quebec.

New York City powered by Northern Quebec.  :)

Yeah, welcome to the world of energy commodities.  The power plant down the road is most likely not the one powering your computer.

garbon

Quote from: katmai on October 30, 2012, 05:44:08 PM
My evil twin Biff Anger was the one posting about you eating potted meat in the dark Garb, not me.

Yes, last night I had the remained of my iced goat cheese on crackers with wine. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2012, 09:19:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2012, 03:46:30 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2012, 12:03:37 PM
I hope garbon's OK, and he hasn't been set upon by roving bands of cannibalistic Puerto Ricans.

You must have given me a work cell last year. I texted after power went out / before cell service went out.

Shit, yeah, that was my work Crackberry.  I'll PM you the iHipster.

Gotcha, yeah my message went into the void then. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2012, 09:22:57 AM

Yes, last night I had the remained of my iced goat cheese on crackers with wine. :)

How long before the resort to cannibalism?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2012, 07:30:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 30, 2012, 02:58:47 PM
So power went out at 8:30 around the time that transformer on 14th street blew. As of this morning no cell service either. Currently in hotel bar uptown. Can't wait to take bus to work tomorrow!
Why don't you walk?  :P

If there hadn't been the bus I would have / given how the bus was I wish I had walked instead. I mean I did walk the same distance yesterday to get to that hotel bar. :D

On bus - lots of space where I got on. By 2nd stop packed in like sardines. At 3rd stop an older black man was trying to get off so we were pushing about when this middle aged black man forced himself on the bus and barreled into me. Everyone yelled at him to get out of the way but he didn't.  Then he started complaining that everyone was on the bus because it was free and we were like nope just the only way to get uptown from downtown without waiting hours for a cab.  Then he complained about my suitcase and messenger bag. He complained about my messenger bag hitting him again and I'd had it. Told him right off which of course then made me the angry person on the bus.  Such fun! :P

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2012, 09:26:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2012, 09:22:57 AM

How long before the resort to cannibalism?  :hmm:

No idea. I'll be in functioning Times Square tonight and then will either crash in UES or make my way to Boston tomorrow evening.

Valmy

Quote from: Rasputin on October 30, 2012, 07:48:04 AM
I don't get why yankees insist on building houses on the water and then expect the taxpayer to bail them out when a hurricane hits?

Or as Little Johnny would say "ain't so funny when it's your momma is it?"

Really?  From somebody who lives in Florida? How much tax money have we blown repairing your state's shit?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2012, 09:47:39 AM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 30, 2012, 07:48:04 AM
I don't get why yankees insist on building houses on the water and then expect the taxpayer to bail them out when a hurricane hits?

Or as Little Johnny would say "ain't so funny when it's your momma is it?"

Really?  From somebody who lives in Florida? How much tax money have we blown repairing your state's shit?

I think you're missing his point.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall