Main Menu

Existential Ennui of the First Order

Started by Camerus, October 18, 2012, 07:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 19, 2012, 07:04:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2012, 06:56:39 AM
Spell out that they are unhappy?

Yes, and that their desire for a child is to combat that and not some self-deluding excuse humans are great at creating.

Sorry I'm not buying that. I think you aren't giving parents enough due.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 19, 2012, 07:24:29 AM
Its either have kids or a cat, kids are more likeable and less trouble.

Fuck that. I'd take a dog over either on any day.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2012, 07:27:52 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 19, 2012, 07:04:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2012, 06:56:39 AM
Spell out that they are unhappy?

Yes, and that their desire for a child is to combat that and not some self-deluding excuse humans are great at creating.

Sorry I'm not buying that. I think you aren't giving parents enough due.

I am not saying that everyone is having children to combat their unhapiness. Far from it. I am just saying that those who do are probably not fully aware of this.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 19, 2012, 07:35:31 AM
I am not saying that everyone is having children to combat their unhapiness. Far from it. I am just saying that those who do are probably not fully aware of this.

Well of course. But that's what the problem that had no name was all about. Women who had no other options that to get married and have kids, waking up and slowly realizing that they were unhappy/wanted more from life than PTA meetings and casseroles.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on October 19, 2012, 03:48:24 AM
My God! You're an introvert?? Plz let me never meet extrovert Mart.

Talking to people is a lot easier on the internet.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

On reflection, fighting ennui all boils down to a single advice: "Step out of your comfort zone."

Whatever that means.

The Brain

I'm comfortable wearing clothes and observing local ordinances.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2012, 06:42:54 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 19, 2012, 03:18:07 AM
This is not an attack, just an observation. I am also not convinced that having kids just because that is what you are supposed to do is a good idea, but it seem to be a big reason for a lot of people, yet it works out for them.

I think that's different though. I don't think that of people who intentionally have kids that most do so because they are bored/discontent but rather it is something they want to do. That's why CC's advice concerns me because if you are having kids to fill up your time and thus not think about your unhappiness that such will boil over at some point.

You are rather twisted in these matters.  Your assumption is that people are fundamentally unhappy.  Rather people who have too much time on their hands and who have no purpose are unhappy.  Stop projecting so much  :P

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2012, 09:20:46 AM
This is not an attack, just an observation. I am also not convinced that having kids just because that is what you are supposed to do is a good idea, but it seem to be a big reason for a lot of people, yet it works out for them.

I think that's different though. I don't think that of people who intentionally have kids that most do so because they are bored/discontent but rather it is something they want to do. That's why CC's advice concerns me because if you are having kids to fill up your time and thus not think about your unhappiness that such will boil over at some point.

You are rather twisted in these matters.  Your assumption is that people are fundamentally unhappy.  Rather people who have too much time on their hands and who have no purpose are unhappy.  Stop projecting so much  :P

Odd that you'd make an assumption about an assumption I don't make. ;)

Again I'll just go back to what I said before. Having children to give yourself a sense of purpose sounds dangerous. What happens when they are grown up and don't need you anymore? Helicopter parents for the win? :P

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2012, 07:28:20 AM

Well I've got all my bases covered, with one cat, two dogs, and two kids. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2012, 09:29:31 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2012, 07:28:20 AM

Well I've got all my bases covered, with one cat, two dogs, and two kids. -_-

:D :hug:

Martinus

Considering that the purpose of life is whatever you invent (and convince yourself, with the help of drugs, whether generated by your body or ingested or injected from outside) as your purpose, wouldn't it be fair to say that the lack of purpose is the default state for a human being?   

garbon

Does it make sense to say that one's body generates drugs?

Eddie Teach

Hakluyt's kids must be very well-behaved. Or else he has an extraordinarily clever cat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 22, 2012, 09:25:04 AM

Odd that you'd make an assumption about an assumption I don't make. ;)

Again I'll just go back to what I said before. Having children to give yourself a sense of purpose sounds dangerous. What happens when they are grown up and don't need you anymore? Helicopter parents for the win? :P

So you take exception with my observation that your underlying assumption is that people are unhappy and then you make this comment.

Explain this to me - why are people having children to give themselves a sense of purpose if they are not unhappy?  Isnt that what makes the situation dangerous?  Now reflect a bit more on why I think that logic is a bit twisted.  And then further reflect on the possibility that people might just fall in love, get married and have kids because they are happy with their lot in life.

Then get back to me.