News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Existential Ennui of the First Order

Started by Camerus, October 18, 2012, 07:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Death is inevitable.

You can react to that fact by giving up and becoming a bitter, cynical whiner because "there is no point".

Alternately, you can endeavour to enjoy every moment you have because it's all you get, so you might as well make the most of it.

PDH

Grallon one again proves that he is Languish's high school junior: wandering around the mall wearing a black trenchcoat proclaiming to all who might listen how awful life is, all the while smoking clove cigarettes and wondering if he should get those vanity plates for his toyota tercel that say "evil"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: PDH on October 18, 2012, 12:27:11 PM
Grallon one again proves that he is Languish's high school junior: wandering around the mall wearing a black trenchcoat proclaiming to all who might listen how awful life is, all the while smoking clove cigarettes and wondering if he should get those vanity plates for his toyota tercel that say "evil"

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on October 18, 2012, 10:59:23 AM
1: If you get existential ennui with some frequency and you drink with some frequency, I suggest cutting down on the drinking. The two things reinforce each other fairly effectively.

2: Lots of internet use isn't too helpful either.

3: Physical exercise, on the other hand helps, both during and afterwards.

4: Make sure you get enough sleep and eat at least somewhat decently and regularly. It makes a difference.

5: Investing in someone else's wellbeing and happiness helps. Traditional options include kids or a significant other, but a pet or parents are good too. Alternately, you can find some deserving strangers to help out.

6: Call your mom. Tell her that you love her. Maybe dad too.

7: Increase your level of social activities. Make a bit more small talk with strangers, be a little nicer to the people around you; find the people you enjoy hanging out with and suggest common activities so you spend more time with them. Humans are social creatures and if you end up having little social contact, many other things will start seeming pointless even if they're not directly related.

8: Do something mildly aggravating but constructive... clean your place up and do the dishes. It's something to do, and it's not like you're really enjoying not doing them; once the house is cleaner, you'll feel a little bit better about everything, guaranteed. Small victories matter.

9: Deliberately cultivate positive thinking. When you start deeply wondering "what's the point" tell yourself "it doesn't matter, it's a nice day/ I achieved this minor victory/ I really need to get this other thing done/ I really like the new shirt that I bought/ can't wait to cook some dinner/ [whatever else that's either practical or positive]."

10: When the ennui gets the roughest, indulge a bit to get over the roughest patch (but don't make indulging the answer to your existential question).

11: Get some project to work towards... a magnum opus, sure; that or getting rich, or starting a business, or learn a new skill, or step your education up. I'd recommend focusing on the first, immediate, and achievable step rather than get caught up in how awesome it's going to be when you've already succeeded and trying to get to the finish line in one jump.

Existence only has the meaning we put into it, so it's up to you to pack some content in. Personally, I think many small things are the way to go - start with "be a positive influence on what's around me, enjoy the pleasures that I can" is a pretty solid foundation. The bigger things will come from that.

Personally I'd suggest giving a really solid go at learning Chinese (unless you're already perfectly fluent, of course); in particular, I'd say enroll in a class. First off, getting into a class will expand your social circle; secondly, better Chinese will increase your social opportunities; third, being a white guy fluent in Chinese is a pretty marketable upgrade, both in China and back in the West; fourth, it'll give you something to occupy you other than fretting about the meaning of existence.

The point of life is living, that's about it. That and the content you pack into it. So pack some content in.

Brilliant post. Pay attention, PP.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grallon

Quote from: Jacob on October 18, 2012, 12:23:22 PM

Alternately, you can endeavour to enjoy every moment you have because it's all you get, so you might as well make the most of it.

Yes - that's called obfuscating, or avoiding the issue, or - like I said - self delusion.  Take your pick.

For my part I'll stick with wine.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on October 18, 2012, 01:03:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 18, 2012, 12:23:22 PM

Yes - that's called obfuscating, or avoiding the issue, or - like I said - self delusion.  Take your pick.

G.

So doing things that make you happy is merely deluding yourself from how unhappy you are? :wacko:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 18, 2012, 07:15:37 AM
How do *you* combat it?   :sleep:

I remember life is inherently meaningless so any meaning you think exists is just something you make up.  Since I am empowered to create my meaning I create something I like that inspires me.

And really this has worked so well I have not really thought about this issue for awhile. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Grallon on October 18, 2012, 01:03:44 PMYes - that's called obfuscating, or avoiding the issue, or - like I said - self delusion.  Take your pick.

You misspelled whine.

Legbiter

Steak and bacon. Polish off a red wine bottle with it over a leisurely supper.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Ed Anger

Or you can get a fast car like me. Play faith no mote's midlife crisis on the stereo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on October 18, 2012, 12:38:04 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 18, 2012, 10:59:23 AM
1: If you get existential ennui with some frequency and you drink with some frequency, I suggest cutting down on the drinking. The two things reinforce each other fairly effectively.

2: Lots of internet use isn't too helpful either.

3: Physical exercise, on the other hand helps, both during and afterwards.

4: Make sure you get enough sleep and eat at least somewhat decently and regularly. It makes a difference.

5: Investing in someone else's wellbeing and happiness helps. Traditional options include kids or a significant other, but a pet or parents are good too. Alternately, you can find some deserving strangers to help out.

6: Call your mom. Tell her that you love her. Maybe dad too.

7: Increase your level of social activities. Make a bit more small talk with strangers, be a little nicer to the people around you; find the people you enjoy hanging out with and suggest common activities so you spend more time with them. Humans are social creatures and if you end up having little social contact, many other things will start seeming pointless even if they're not directly related.

8: Do something mildly aggravating but constructive... clean your place up and do the dishes. It's something to do, and it's not like you're really enjoying not doing them; once the house is cleaner, you'll feel a little bit better about everything, guaranteed. Small victories matter.

9: Deliberately cultivate positive thinking. When you start deeply wondering "what's the point" tell yourself "it doesn't matter, it's a nice day/ I achieved this minor victory/ I really need to get this other thing done/ I really like the new shirt that I bought/ can't wait to cook some dinner/ [whatever else that's either practical or positive]."

10: When the ennui gets the roughest, indulge a bit to get over the roughest patch (but don't make indulging the answer to your existential question).

11: Get some project to work towards... a magnum opus, sure; that or getting rich, or starting a business, or learn a new skill, or step your education up. I'd recommend focusing on the first, immediate, and achievable step rather than get caught up in how awesome it's going to be when you've already succeeded and trying to get to the finish line in one jump.

Existence only has the meaning we put into it, so it's up to you to pack some content in. Personally, I think many small things are the way to go - start with "be a positive influence on what's around me, enjoy the pleasures that I can" is a pretty solid foundation. The bigger things will come from that.

Personally I'd suggest giving a really solid go at learning Chinese (unless you're already perfectly fluent, of course); in particular, I'd say enroll in a class. First off, getting into a class will expand your social circle; secondly, better Chinese will increase your social opportunities; third, being a white guy fluent in Chinese is a pretty marketable upgrade, both in China and back in the West; fourth, it'll give you something to occupy you other than fretting about the meaning of existence.

The point of life is living, that's about it. That and the content you pack into it. So pack some content in.

Brilliant post. Pay attention, PP.

:yes:

I was just going to say the same thing; Excellent post Jacob. :cheers:

I also like the order of things, a good diet, exercise and a proper amount of sleep are good building blocks onto which to construct whatever you want to attempt.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 18, 2012, 07:15:37 AM
How do *you* combat it?   :sleep:

I cultivate hobbies, mostly making stuff for other people.

Right now, I'm making my son a costume for Halloween - a fancy looking fantasy themed samurai armour. I'm using a new material I've never used before - a plastic called "wonderflex". It's great fun, and the kid loves it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Find someone you love, get married, have kids.

You will no longer have time for any of this other stuff

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2012, 03:12:38 PM
Find someone you love, get married, have kids.

You will no longer have time for any of this other stuff

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. Force your misery on a spouse and children!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.