Adventures in Pointless Polling: Replacing Lost Umbrella Etiquette

Started by alfred russel, October 23, 2012, 06:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What was the proper etiquette in the situation?

The guy should have asked me to buy a new umbrella
2 (11.1%)
The guy shouldn't have asked me to buy a new umbrella
13 (72.2%)
We should have both bought Jaron a new umbrella (due to his size he might need two for total coverage)
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

HVC

Quote from: mongers on October 23, 2012, 07:03:10 PM
This is a pretty trivial incident, stuff happens and things get lost, no one is at fault and people buy another one.

The guy was being an idiot, but the upside for you is he's gave you a clear window into his soul, he's an accountant isn't he ??
<_<
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Richard Hakluyt

Umbrellas never really belong to an individual, they just stay with us a while and then move on. Left in a waiting room, on a train.........sometimes strange umbrellas will appear in one's home; in which case we simply have to be grateful that they are not made with a magenta fabric covered in turquoise polka dots. Which is probably the style of umbrella you should have bought for him as a replacement  :D

Syt

That's the reason I don't have umbrellas anymore. I've easily lost a dozen over the years (one even twice!), and broke countless more.

Also, it's usually too windy in Vienna to make good use of an umbrella.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Pedrito

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 24, 2012, 12:45:15 AM
Umbrellas never really belong to an individual, they just stay with us a while and then move on. Left in a waiting room, on a train.........sometimes strange umbrellas will appear in one's home; in which case we simply have to be grateful that they are not made with a magenta fabric covered in turquoise polka dots. Which is probably the style of umbrella you should have bought for him as a replacement  :D
:D

Very Adamsesque, very true.

On topic, the guy's a dick: I would never ask for a replacement.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Gups

It's a fucking umbrella. They cost less than a pint. The fact that you even feel the need to ask whether the guy is a douche makes me suspicious about you.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2012, 07:39:45 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 23, 2012, 07:33:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2012, 07:30:51 PM

I thought you were in Bolivia recently.  Or was that someone else?  There are parts of St.Louis that are pretty much a third world country.

Nope--I posted about potentially going there, but I've never been and not going in the foreseeable future.

I like St. Louis.

Ah, that was it.  Don't ever go to East St. Louis.

Yeah.  The part in the movie "Vacation" where the Griswolds get lost in East St. Louis is all one needs to see to get a feel for that place.

"Roll 'em up!"  :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwBoa-NbNL8
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: Gups on October 24, 2012, 05:32:11 AM
It's a fucking umbrella. They cost less than a pint. The fact that you even feel the need to ask whether the guy is a douche makes me suspicious about you.

Don't be too harsh. He obviously knows, he's just putting it as a question as a rhetorical technique to introduce it as a topic of conversation.

alfred russel

So you weren't made suspicious by the fact I frequent languish until this thread? That makes me wonder about you... :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on October 24, 2012, 10:44:43 AM

Don't be too harsh. He obviously knows, he's just putting it as a question as a rhetorical technique to introduce it as a topic of conversation.

Coming clean: this happened about 2 years ago. I was coming home from something last night where I got a free umbrella, which made me think of this. It seemed like a good topic to have a discussion about on Languish.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on October 23, 2012, 06:46:05 PM
The ideal scenario is that he does not ask you to buy him a new umbrella, but that you make it up to him somehow - either by actually buying a replacement umbrella or some drinks or otherwise extending goodwill towards him.

When he asks for you to replace the umbrella he's being a bit of a putz, and you are occupying the moral high ground by replacing in.

Conversely, if he did not ask for a replacement but merely confirmed that the umbrella was lost he would've occupied the moral high ground; you would then be a bit of a putz if you did nothing to make it up to him.

I agree with the Ponytailed One.

Scipio

Quote from: alfred russel on October 23, 2012, 06:50:08 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2012, 06:44:36 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 23, 2012, 06:39:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2012, 06:33:10 PM
How many business trips to do you do a year?

It depends. Last year it was a lot, now it is less.  :P

You always seem to be visiting some third world hell hole, Bolivia, Morocco, Mississippi...  yeesh.

I've never been to Bolivia, and I think the only time I posted about being in Mississippi was with Lettow.

You may not believe this, but the umbrella incident was actually in Saint Louis.  :P
St. Louis is the chocolate starfish of America.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt